Denali Bus Tours: Natural History vs Tundra vs Kantishna

1964IceCreamLady

I am looking at the descriptions and want to know: is the Kantishna the Tundra but longer, the Tundra the Natural History but longer? In other words, if I book the Kantishna, does it include all the stops/enrichment of the Natural History tour?

Ok- just got off phone with NPS. They are all VERY different.

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

Is it appropriate to 'third' something? :D:D

The shuttles give you on and off privileges...for hiking...exploring...or just standing and gazing. They are 'advertised' as having no narration, but the truth of the matter is that if you happen to get a driver who LOVES the park and chooses to narrate (and I've heard that happens frequently...) then you get the narration.

We are opting to only purchase a ticket for as far as Eielson because our 'way' of doing National Parks is to spend a LOT of time on our own with hikes and exploration. However, if we get to Eielson and think we have time to go to WonderLake, we can purchase the extra ticket there at the Vis. Ctr. The only 'catch' is that you have to have CASH...they don't have the means for credit card purchases there. We will have the exact denominations for that in an envelope...ready to be used if we wish. I suspect we won't have time for it...but just in case...

THANKS! YES! After looking at the hop on/hop off buses, we are doing that. We will probably opt for the Eielson, but may not make it that far. Good to know you can keep going if you have cash (we will). We are 3 generations travelling together, and some of us more hardy than others. ;)

When I called the National Park Service in Denali, I was told there are now (2017) Four choices for narrated guided tours, each going different distances into the park before turning around. The shortest is the "nature" tour, next, "tundra wilderness tour ( TWT), next the Eielson Excursion Tour and the longest going to the end of the park road Kantishna, which takes twelve hours round trip going to the 92mile marker. My cruise included the "nature" tour which is the shortest at 5 hours. Lucky if you see a moose. The other three tours are "upgrades" so I would just pay the difference in price for the longer tour. We chose the Eielson which goes to the Eielson visitors center, mile marker 66. Other than Wonder Lake, there didn't seem to be too much more to see on the way to Kantishna that would justify another 2-3 hours. We should finish our tour by 5:00pm. (I called princess and it was approved as an upgrade, but had to go through TA for paper work and credit for tour cost.) If cost and the desire to be able to hike and do things at your own pace is a priority, by all means opt for the shuttles. By the way, when considering the cost, if you already have an annual or life time pass (we do as seniors that we purchased years ago in Hawaii), you can show your trip voucher for the tour that you have booked to the Wilderness Activities Center desk and you get a refund of $10.00 that was included in your tour purchase as part of the fee from the national park. We always welcome saving money when we can, and if that is not a concern for you, you can always tip your favorite guide or purchase a souvenier of your trip. Hope this helps. We will be in Denali August 14, 15 this year.

When I called the National Park Service in Denali, I was told there are now (2017) Four choices for narrated guided tours, each going different distances into the park before turning around. The shortest is the "nature" tour, next, "tundra wilderness tour ( TWT), next the Eielson Excursion Tour and the longest going to the end of the park road Kantishna, which takes twelve hours round trip going to the 92mile marker. My cruise included the "nature" tour which is the shortest at 5 hours. Lucky if you see a moose. The other three tours are "upgrades" so I would just pay the difference in price for the longer tour. We chose the Eielson which goes to the Eielson visitors center, mile marker 66. Other than Wonder Lake, there didn't seem to be too much more to see on the way to Kantishna that would justify another 2-3 hours. We should finish our tour by 5:00pm. (I called princess and it was approved as an upgrade, but had to go through TA for paper work and credit for tour cost.) If cost and the desire to be able to hike and do things at your own pace is a priority, by all means opt for the shuttles. By the way, when considering the cost, if you already have an annual or life time pass (we do as seniors that we purchased years ago in Hawaii), you can show your trip voucher for the tour that you have booked to the Wilderness Activities Center desk and you get a refund of $10.00 that was included in your tour purchase as part of the fee from the national park. We always welcome saving money when we can, and if that is not a concern for you, you can always tip your favorite guide or purchase a souvenier of your trip. Hope this helps. We will be in Denali August 14, 15 this year.

The bargain of Denali is if you with Princess and simply get a REFUND of any "tour". People who haven't been there, seem to think a "guided tour" is what Denali is about. Sorry, but I disagree. Denali is about SEEING all that lays out in front of you, dramatic endless scenery, chance wildlife, expansive changing views. Distance. NOT, listening to a rambling speal on information you optimally can find out ahead that will greatly enhance your trip. http://www.nps.gov/dena https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/newspaper.htm

I again was in Denali last month. and again, totally "new" journey that was beautiful and exciting. Nope didn't need any "words". The majesty was simply out the window. No, I would not pay more for any "upgrade" especially if on Princess. You can have all this and money back, with what you have already been charged.