SeaDream in South America

emckeeve

Does anyone know anything about the new itineraries in South America? I'm not familiar with any of the ports but it sounds like a "beach-y" type vacation (which is fine) in smaller, sleepy towns. I love the thought of going somewhere new and different. During our other trips on SeaDream in the Med and Caribbean, we rarely went on ship excursions and I'm wondering if this would be the same type of itinerary . . .where you can get along on your own and enjoy the water toys, shop with the chef, etc. That, of course, is aside fromt he trip to the Iguazu Falls.

We have booked for the SeaDream South America cruise - so I can tell you what I know.

We are on the November 23rd cruise which is Rio to Buenos Aires.

We start in Rio - great town, lots of parties, dining, arts, scenic vistas, etc. We stay there overnight and there is lots to do there at night. It really is a town that never sleeps.

Punta del Estes- this is billed as the San Tropez of South America.

Porto Belo - They have a great inlet to do included water sports- extremely clear and protected waters.

Ilhabela - This is supposed to be a rain forest with jungles, waterfalls and great beaches. More watersports from the aft deck

Itajai is the port used to pick up the included private jet for a full day tour of boths sides of Iguacu Falls, It includes the Brazilian barbeque right at the falls.

Parati - An UNESCO sight - a colonial village with a spectacular night life. Beautiful beaches and great architecture.

Buzio Bay - another great spot for the included water sports. This is the beach that Brigett Bardo made famous. There are 26 different beaches, great dining and a wonderful night life.

Buenos Aires - Really interesting, colorful, historic old town. Lots to do if you want to spend an additional night.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

having been on seadream for the cancun fiasco cruise, i would not recommend her for new itinerary that is so far away from home

if i'm going to go that far, i want to enjoy all the new places and not end up at the same dock for a week because the itinerary and weather are not working out

For what it's worth, I understand that (due in part to their experience in Mexico) SeaDream has purchased charts reflecting wave conditions and weather charts for the Rio/Buenos Aires route for the last 30 years and based on that are comfortable that a repeat of the Mexico fiasco is not in the offing. Let's hope that turns out to be the case.

What is the "Cancun fiasco" you are referrring to?? Thanks in advance for the information.

As I understand it the swells were pretty bad which made it difficult to get into the ports. If Jim Avery is reading he can probably give us an update as he was on one of those voyages.

Archived