Bahama Cruise Lines-Bermuda Star

This was the first cruise my wife and I took. It was a nice, though older and smaller (around 23,000 tons and 700 passengers) ship. I seem to remember hearing something about it running aground on the Atlantic coast not too long after we sailed on her. The captain we sailed with (Jens Thorn) piloted her, I believe, until 1991.

Great memories.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This was my first cruise. I sailed this vessel with my family the year I graduated High School 1985. We went to Bermuda from New York. Only fond memories of a good time, good friends, and Bermuda was the best. Still trying to get back to Bermuda after 24 years.

She sailed for years as the Enchanted Isle out of New Orleans and had a very sizeable following. I knew people that would go on several 7-day cruises a year on her and loved it. She was the first ship I ever sailed on and she gave me the cruising bug in a big way. A sad day when Commodore went out of business and hastened the sale of this great ship for scrap. The evil deed was also done to her sister ship the old SS Argentina.

bermuda starwas a great ship the captian jens thorne and his dog goofy were always around meeting the passengers making sure everything was ok.had a lot of good times onthe ship out of new york and new orleans.the sister ship ran agound by the cape cod canalin heavy fog.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was the Controller and Relief Chief Purser from time to time. I actually Brought it out on it maiden voyage that started at Baltimore Harbor, did a few hundred cruises on her. Everywhere from Panama Canal to Bermuda. She was a nice ship and Jens Thorn, was my boss. I remember the dog and many great voyages. I left the Bermuda Star in 1985 when I got married to the Gift shop Manager. Is there any other crewmembers out there? Just wanted to know?

Controller Bermuda Star

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That was the ship that started it.......Now after, I've lost count of how many cruises we've been on, it was one of the best and most memorable. As I recall the price was actually about what you can get a nice cruise for today. I supose it was pricey for the time. When we went thru the boarding process, there were actually little booths set up where you signed up for your dining times, not like today with that all settled before you got on. For some reason, one of the maitre'd's singled us out and asked if we'd like to eat in what they called "the private dining room". Sounded ok, but didn't have a clue what that ment. Boy, did we luck out. In the stern of the ship, near what would've been a lido, was a tiny, long, skinny, room that ran the port side of the ship on the promenade deck. We had a table for two, next to a window. There were about 40 of us lucky souls. It was one seating, come when you wanted during dining hours. At this point we were totally hooked. Our cabin was an outside up on the sun deck. Down the hall was a tiny ocean view bar with windows that looked over the bow. We considered this our own private cocktail lounge....again, hooked. Captain Thorn was resplendent in his short white captains jacket. I called him a "movie star" captain...haha! I never knew his dogs name, but they were always together. We sailed to Bermuda and came back in a full blown hurricane. We were the only passengers in our little dining room. The seas, although probably some of the roughest we've ever been thru, didn't bother us a bit. Ship sailed so nicely. I have only the happiest memories of her and still think of it as one of our very best cruises.

• 1 year later...

We were on the ill=fated Bermuda Star cruise. We both had had a busy year and had looked forward to the cruise from NYC up the New England coast to Quebec City & Montreal. Arrived in NYC and got on the ship. Next morning at 8AM we feel a clunk and the ship stopped. After we scraped ourselves off the ceiling (this was just after the Titanic movie came out) we heard the captain say we hit the Cleveland Ledge just outside the Cape Cod canal. Long story short we sat on the ship all day (this is why I now bring 2 books in my carry on bag) and we were finally off loaded onto ferries to New Bedford MA and then bused to the Bay Bay Hilton in Boston. Next day after we got our luggage we took a cab home (we live 10 miles from Boston). Call the TA at 9:03AM and said "Get us out of Dodge". Removed the French dictionary, added some shorts to our suitcases and the next day flew to Bermuda for a week. We got all of our money back for the cruise. We were supposed to be reimbursed for the taxi ride but never got it. Years later we are in San Diego and my husband says "look that's the Bermuda Star".

• 4 weeks later...
This was the first cruise my wife and I took. It was a nice, though older and smaller (around 23,000 tons and 700 passengers) ship. I seem to remember hearing something about it running aground on the Atlantic coast not too long after we sailed on her. The captain we sailed with (Jens Thorn) piloted her, I believe, until 1991.

Great memories.

Here is an excellent history of the Bermuda Star....which had more reincarnations than Vishnu.........

Started out as the SS Brasil in 1958............and the story continues:

http://www.ssmaritime.com/universeexplorer.htm

• 8 months later...
I was the Controller and Relief Chief Purser from time to time. I actually Brought it out on it maiden voyage that started at Baltimore Harbor, did a few hundred cruises on her. Everywhere from Panama Canal to Bermuda. She was a nice ship and Jens Thorn, was my boss. I remember the dog and many great voyages. I left the Bermuda Star in 1985 when I got married to the Gift shop Manager. Is there any other crewmembers out there? Just wanted to know?

Controller Bermuda Star

I worked on the Bermudastar as well as the Veracruz back in the years 85/86/87 as assistent Foodmanager and a while as Foodmanager.

Had a great time and loved both ships.

Christian

• 2 years later...

I remember you! I started on the Bermuda Star September 1984? and worked in the Gift Shop with Stephanie. She left the ship a few months after I arrived and I became Gift Shop Manager. I seem to recall she was from Pennsylvania and a friend of her sisters came to work with us. Her name was Kristy and we were roomates and had a lot of fun. I can not remember her last name (I have been trying to find her on Facebook) do you remember? I stayed on the ship for about 2 1/2 years and have great memories.

Archived