Cruising out of Galveston

Rickster

I am currently planning a cruise for next year and I have my eye on a RCI cruise out of Galveston. I have a few questions for those who have sailed out of Galveston.

What is the best method of travel to/from pier and or hotel?

How far is it from the Houston Hobby Airport to Galveston?

Where is the best area to stay for the night prior?

Are the hotels close to the pier?

Thanks for any help.

Rick.

We are on the Rhapsody of the sea in August out of Galveston. We are flying into Houston and are staying in Galveston (we are coming in a couple days ahead).We were told to stay in Galveston nicer area.

If you get in late and are flying into Houston I think the hotels around the airport are fine.

Have heard nothing but great things about this cruise we really can't wait. They are changing ships the fall of 2007 to the Voyager. So we are glad we get to sail on her now.

You could also check on hotels/motels in the Clear Lake area. The area is adjacent to the Johnson Space Center and about 30 minutes north of Galveston and 30 minutes south of Hobby Airport. Lots of choices for accommodations, lots of great restaurants - look for addresses on NASA Parkway, NASA Road #1 or Bay Area Boulevard.

As mentioned before, there are many choices in Galveston also. It's an easy drive from Hobby or there are several limo and van services available. Have you checked the boards for information on Galveston? There has been lots of "conversation" about transportation to the Galveston piers.

We are sailing on the Ecstacy in July 2006. We booked a queen double room at the Holiday Inn on the beach. We were able to get a one night reservation by the pool Nice pool with bar. Lots of food out by the pool, delivery pizza and many other. :p :rolleyes:

I'm in Galveston as we speak, the island is only 2 miles wide at most, so no hotel is very far. Galveston.com has been mentioned as a good site to find a hotel. Moody Gardens and the historic Strand area are things to see while on the island.

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/

http://www.moodygardens.com/

Enjoy Galveston

I am currently planning a cruise for next year and I have my eye on a RCI cruise out of Galveston. I have a few questions for those who have sailed out of Galveston.

What is the best method of travel to/from pier and or hotel?

How far is it from the Houston Hobby Airport to Galveston?

Where is the best area to stay for the night prior?

Are the hotels close to the pier?

Thanks for any help.

Rick.

I just sailed from Galveston for the first time. I'm in the process of a (long) review including a pre-cruise stay in Galveston. The link is in my signature. We also flew into Hobby and stayed at Harbor House at Pier 21 (snapped some great pictures there). If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Here are a few pictures of the Harbor House, Willie G's, the Splendour, and Pier 21 (right next to Pier 22, where the cruise terminal is).

http://community.webshots.com/album/549664260umcayN

Any reviews, etc. on this hotel in Galveston

Thank you:)

We stayed there in February 2005 and it was just O.K. Just don't pay too much for it though. Galveston.com shows a rate of about $99, we booked it for about $75 but while we were there, their marquis showed a price of $49.95. It's a great location right on the seawall with restaurants and grocery store nearby. Rooms are set back around a courtyard with heated pool, so you might have a partial ocean view. The continental breakfast is a nice touch.

Archived