How early...

kelz66

I enjoy the planning process alot, so I start my lists about 6 months in advance and keep revising. Two weeks before we leave the suitcases are out and I start getting clothes freshened up, washed and pressed. The day before we leave the suitcases are packed and waiting at the front door. (Like puppies anxious to get out and play).

I keep a list on the computer of what I plan to pack and then update it as I put stuff in the suitcases. (This saves me from digging in to see if I have everything).

When we get back from the cruise I make notes on the lists to indicate what we wore and what we didn't need and add anything I felt we should have had with us.

We do the same with our annual week long trip to Vegas and I now have that down to a science with each of us only using a roll-on bag.

Ok, Ok, so I am a type "A" person. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced 2 very different views on this question. Myself and our family usually bust out the suitcases 2.5 to 3 weeks prior. Then as things are cleaned, bought and ran across (things we didn't think of) we start putting them in the cases. It is rather quite hysterical to see all of us the last couple of days before we leave, we live in Vegas and only get to cruise in the summer months due to the kids school, but at that point it is 100+ degrees out and we are all wearing turtle necks, jeans, sweaters, ect.!! Everything else is packed!! Now for the second take I have experienced is how my SIL handles the situation. She basically pulls out the suitcases 6 mos. prior and buys everything new hence she is packed and ready about a month prior!! I guess it beats the winter wear and looking like street urchins but I would rather save the cash and have it for my trip. :D I would say my lists actually start about 2 mos. before the packing process.

and I've started making lists. As this will be the most exotic trip we've been on (Asia), I am stressing about first aid needs. Have already started lists for those items as well as clothes. Since we are limited to 44 pds. per suitcase on the inter-China flights, we are packing with extreme care this time. Don't want to have to pay any fines if possible. This has made deciding what to take on the cruise a real challenge.

Usually, we start the week before, but I have a feeling we will be packed long before that this time. Of course,that will lead to much anxiety for the cat...along with the cat hair that will need to be removed after he starts sleeping in it.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I always take the same clothing when I cruise so - I have all folded up on the sofa in the living room, then pack the morning I depart...takes about 15 minutes.....and - it all fits nicely into my 22 inche rollaboard suitecase!

I am from the old school; "take only half the clothes you think you'll need - and - twice the money". HA!

Of course, I am not a fashionista. Suppose if I was, I might have to do a little more advance planning/packing. I often watch in open-mouthed amazement when I watch folks boarding the ship with enough luggage to support an Arctic Expedition. How do they DO that, anyway??

Next cruise: The Fascination August 28, 2006 with beloved grandson

The Triumph September 23, 2006, blissfully alone!

Archived