what to do in colon besides tour off the ship?

musicmansmom

• 2 weeks later...

There is a large distribution center type shopping just outside the port. Looked to us (and our guide said) a lot of it is mass quantity shopping. Did not look inviting to us. there are some small shops by the dock as well.

We took the arial tram tour (so so) but did have some younger adventurous tablemates who just went to the end of the pier and booked a cab to take them around.

This and Costa Rica were the first time we had the ship recommend we not wander around on our own.

Any one else with experiences?

There is a large distribution center type shopping just outside the port. Looked to us (and our guide said) a lot of it is mass quantity shopping. Did not look inviting to us. there are some small shops by the dock as well.

We took the arial tram tour (so so) but did have some younger adventurous tablemates who just went to the end of the pier and booked a cab to take them around.

This and Costa Rica were the first time we had the ship recommend we not wander around on our own.

Any one else with experiences?

yes, i have read recently that the free zone center is more for buying large quaintities of things. and im not prepared to pay the ships price for the arial tour that just shows you the tops of trees. hummm, still no direction on what i want to do there. i guess it will be hit or miss on this port :confused:

• 2 months later...
There are some shops at the cruise terminal which seem safe but don't leave the protected area unless you are on a tour. Colon isn't a safe city.

thanks thoth, i am going to stay very close to the ship unless im on a tour. it sounds like a great cruise but with some safety concerns in the ports. caution is the best defense for a great trip :)

I too don't recommend wandering around town. However if you walk through the duty center, turn right and walk about 30 yards there is a department/grocery store where we were able to buy phone cards for less than $5. We spoke with several people at home and eventually gave the card away to someone who wanted to call home. This was 2 years ago and I don't know if this still works ... but places to call home to have become almost extinct.

That said, I heartily recommend the Panama Canal Railroad Company 2 Ocean tour. A well narrated tour with lots of scenery. Stops at Balboa and you bus from there to the Miriflores Locks where you get a close up view of the locks workings and the passages of ships.

• 7 years later...
Yeah, don't wonder off too far from the ship. Last year, our ship didn't even stop in Colon because of the social unrest. Stay within the safe confounds of a ship tour.:confused:

That handle looks familiar... that wouldn't be Rich who helped me keep the Viking Crown Lounge anchored to the ship?:D

We have hired a private guide who is taking us Bird Watching, to the Gatun Locks, Gatun Dam, and the San Lorenzo Fort Ruins.

Looking very forward to the Colon stop. Not doing anything in "Colon" because of the safety concerns, but have an amazing Naturalist pick us up for a tour outside of the City.

Archived