best place to stay pre-cruise in Honolulu?

caserko

We're looking at the POH 4/2-4/9. On the NCL website it looks like all their hotels are pretty pricey. Does anyone know of a clean hotel in a good location for about $100-150 a night? What would we really be missing out on by not using an NCL hotel? Is transportation to the pier pretty expensive?

Thanks!!

Don't know if there are any $150 rooms in Honolulu. I will tell you that the smartest thing we did was book Waikiki Marriott THROUGH NCL. Taxi from Waikiki Beach to pier will run around $20-$25.

Thanks. Do you know taxi fares/time from the airport to the pier? What kind of rate did you get on the Marriott through NCL?

When we went on the Pride of Aloha, we booked a hotel through NCL. We checked prices and could not find a better deal. Plus it is worth it to have your transfers included. We were booked at the Radisson Prince Kuhio. We had no complaints. They even put us in an ocean view room, which we weren't expecting.

How often do you go to Hawaii? I'd recommend booking a nice hotel on the beach rather than looking for a bargain property. I've booked many clients with NCL's pre-cruise packages (and transfers) because they offer excellent hotels at great rates.

I agree. Hawaii is such a special place, do it right when you go. Since I can do the military Hale Koa though, I normally don't look at the cruise lines for my pre and post.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! We are just really restricted to dates b/c we're using frequent flyer miles and there are the black out dates. Right now it looks like our best option is to fly in the day of the cruise, but we don't arrive until 3:30 PM and the boat leaves at 8PM. Is this cutting it too close?

caserko: If that flight is your only choice, then go with it. Probably you will be fine. But by the time you get your luggage it will easily be 4:00. Then taxi to the pier during commute, which can slow you down, may take longer than usual. I'm going to be conservative and say 30 to 40 minutes. It's only 6 or 7 miles from the airport to the pier, but you just never know. I'm fairly certain that everyone must be onboard and checked in by 7:00, so you should be fine if you arrive around 5:00.

All that said, if even one thing delays your flight(s), you might be SOL. Because Hawaii is out in the middle of the Pacific, most airports don't have huge numbers of flights going to the islands. If you miss your flight for any reason, that might be it for the day (or at least until it would be too late to be onboard in time). When are you flying? Is it winter when weather might delay you? Or are you going through SFO or other fog-infested airports? And then there are mechanical issues that can cause delays, etc. I am not trying to be negative; I'm really not. I think you will most likely be fine--it's the happenstance that you just can't plan for that would concern me.

Can you fly in a couple of days early? If so, I recommend it. Several members have mentioned the Aqua Palms (I think that's right) as being affordable, clean, and decent location--and around or under $150 a night. We don't usually stay in Waikiki, so I'm afraid I'm not much help with other inexpensive hotels. If this will be your one and only time in Hawaii and you can justify it in your budget, then I would recommend either the Hilton or the Marriott (if you want to book through NCL) or (our preference) the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surfrider (the Surfrider can be booked through NCL, but not the Royal). Of course, there's always the Halekulani, but let's be reasonable about this!

Please consider budgeting for at least 2 nights pre cruise in Waikiki. It will get you into the Hawaiian aloha spirit much better than if you are frantically rushing all day just to get to the ship. It's a very port intensive cruise with no restful sea days. I fear that you would feel busy and like you didn't really get to relax--and, believe me, Hawaii is a perfect place to relax.

beachchick

Has anyone ever tried Priceline bidding for a pre/post cruise hotel on Ohau? We did that for a San Juan hotel pre cruise and it was great. There were many helpful hints and past prices paid through bidding that helped us figure out a price. We are crusing Pride of Am on 3/24/07 and will be looking for 2 night pre and 1 night post for lodging.

I totally agree on the flying in early suggestions. I'm from Michigan and you never know if there will be a storm where we are leaving from (TVC) or in Chicago/Detroit where we have to connect through.

Thanks for any Priceline hints on bidding.

Check out biddingfortravel.com - the Hawaii section has lots of recommendation for bidding for Hawaii hotels. The Hawaii Prince can often be found for around $150/night which is a fantastic rate for a great hotel.

Spleen

Check out biddingfortravel.com - the Hawaii section has lots of recommendation for bidding for Hawaii hotels. The Hawaii Prince can often be found for around $150/night which is a fantastic rate for a great hotel.

Spleen

Spleen is correct as usual. We will be in Hawaii this Saturday and are staying at the Hawaii Prince for 2 nights pre-cruise on the POH. Got the hotel on priceline for $130 per night!

Spleen, SweetEmi, Suebee, Mike Kaye, beachchick;

Once again thank you all for your answers to questions and your insights. See you on Saturday! (Just a figure of speech..ha! ha! no need to worry). We have learned so much on the Hawaii boards......

Mieke & Jim:) :)

I am arranging hotels for friends. Pre-cruise they are staying several days in Waikiki. However, after the cruise, they need a hotel for the night before flying out the next day. I would like them to stay near the cruiseport, preferably in the direction of Chinatown, as they are Chinese and like visiting the Chinese areas in various cities. Anyone know of a good, moderate hotel?

I am arranging hotels for friends. Pre-cruise they are staying several days in Waikiki. However, after the cruise, they need a hotel for the night before flying out the next day. I would like them to stay near the cruiseport, preferably in the direction of Chinatown, as they are Chinese and like visiting the Chinese areas in various cities. Anyone know of a good, moderate hotel?

There's a ResortQuest at Executive Center in downtown Honolulu. However, it seems a little pricey. Outside of downtown and not in Waikiki is the Pagoda Hotel and the Ala Moana Hotel. The Pagoda is a nice "local" style hotel with an asian theme. The Ala Moana is attached to the Ala Moana shopping center and popular with business, convention, and local visitors from the other islands for shopping. Both are closer to the pier and downtown than Waikiki and moderately priced. The Ala Moana is a straight shot on Ala Moana Blvd to the pier, less than 5 minutes I would guess. Your friends can easily take the bus from Ala Moana center or a taxi to Chinatown.

Here are the websites: http://www.alamoanahotel.com and http://www.pagodahotel.com

We are staying at the Ohana Islander (although the lobby has construction) it has a special right now for 99US a night, a lot of nice things said about this property and it is just fine to rest your head. Hope this helps, I know I was going crazy about what to book and this was overall a great choice for us. We did not care about the construction but I am sure it will be done by the time you get there.

Just spent one night POH pre-cruise 10/1/06 at the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber booked directly with the hotel for $119 night, king bed, 2 people. (When I first checked rates online it was listed as $139 for the lowest rate, but a couple weeks later it dropped to $119, so I booked it. I'm sure different times of year have different rates, just keep checking) It was very nice and clean, with no construction. Great location, next to the International Marketplace and across the street from the beach hotels. Taxi to pier from hotel was about $25. (Taxi the previous day from the airport to the hotel was $32/4 people, 6 pcs. luggage.

If being near Chinatown is important, I'd recommend the ResortQuest Executive Centre mentioned above. It's walkable distance from the port and walking distance to Chinatown - it'd be perfect for an one night stay going home after a cruise. Prices are not that bad - mid 100s.

Spleen

does anyone know if any of the hotels in Oahu on the beach, were structually damaged from the earthquake. specifically thinking about the Marriott, Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Prince Hotel. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks, Lois

We just returned from Hawaii last week. We were on the Carnival Spirit and we went in a couple of days early and stayed at the ResortQuest Waikiki Circle. The hotel is in a great area -- great view from the balcony and the room was about $140/night. The hotels right around it were over $300/night. The hotel is older and the hotel is circular so the room is pie shaped. The rooms were not big but we were not in the room very much. It was clean and the location was fantastic. I would rather not pay $300 for the hotel and use that money for something else.

thank u for the quick response. did u do any excursions NOT from the ship. If so, can u please tell me who u used and how u liked them. appreciate all the info you can give me. am going to hawaii in may 07 with ncl. thanks, lois

Thanks for asking this question. I'm in the same boat.

On tripadvisor the Hawaii Prince gets excellent reviews. It has a very nice view of the harbor, large windows, and a huge bathroom with seperate shower and tub. Every room is Ocean view but ther is no lanai.

I see it listed for $186 with car on Expedia for quite a few dates (parking of $15 per night is extra through).

I personally would prefer Hilton or Marriott Waikiki, but am not sure I want to fork out the extra cash. I think you can get the HGVC on hotwire from time to time for around $180, the bidding site is the best to track that.

Good luck.

Anna :)

I have been thinking of going with a condo for a pre cruise stay. Does anyone have some feedback on this. Comparing the cost of a room in a resort or hotel and a condo, the condo seems to be a good deal. Any help is appreciated.

Archived