Wine Cards....

SanDiego Single

Here's something to consider:

Wine-by-the-glass is usually one of the most expensive ways to drink on land or sea.

You can order a bottle of wine and leave it at your favorite bar. The bartender, or server, will recork if you don't finish and you can enjoy it the next day.

On an eleven-day cruise, my wife drinks four bottles of white (and the winery that she prefers) that way. For what she orders, that works out to about $100. And she gets more than 10 glasses.

The cost of a 20 glass card is about $3.88 per glass.

The cheapest bottle of red wine (a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon) that I saw on their wine order form was $20.75 on line. A typical bottle of wine has a volume of 750mL and you will get 4 glasses out of it (6 oz or 185mL glass). Thus the cost per glass is about $5.18 per glass if you buy the bottle.

The lower price per glass of wine is due to a couple of reasons...

1. Quality of the wine is usually lower

2. You get what they give you (ie: usually no choice in the wine)

Personally, after the second glass, who cares what the quality of the wine is!:p

But do you get the same amount per glass on the card?

You don't on soda card. It's cheaper, in the long run with soda, to buy a can.

All things being equal, purple lips, by-the-glass is never cheaper.

A 6oz glass of wine, whether poured from the house wine bottle or from the bottle you buy, is a 6oz serving. Dollar for dollar, house vine is cheaper in this comparison that I have provided. You cannot argue against the math with a subjective opinion.

I love my purple lips :)

A 6oz glass of wine, whether poured from the house wine bottle or from the bottle you buy, is a 6oz serving. Dollar for dollar, house vine is cheaper in this comparison that I have provided. You cannot argue against the math with a subjective opinion.

I love my purple lips :)

I LOVE your logic! And quite agree with you. lool.gif

To me, a cosmo is a cosmo is a cosmo. I couldn't tell the difference if it was made with Ketel One or Absolut or Smirnoff or anything else.

I did notice that signature drink card of 10 for $64.69. If the special drink of the day is $4.75 or $5.00, then the $6.50/drink is no deal. Wonder if that includes the service charge. Hmmmmmm. unsure.gif

DH does not remember paying $6.50 for his whiskey sours in Sept., so ...either HAL has had a price increase, or the signature drink card is not a deal, or DH had an even better time than he remembers! Can a more recent cruiser verify the current prices? The wine card does seem to be a good deal. Plan to order a 20 pour today.The house wines that HAL serves are plenty drinkable to me, and DH, also, wouldn't know premium liquor if he got it.

Hi there~

I am going on HAL's Maasdam on the 11th :) , and just saw this thread about wine cards. It sounds like a great deal to me; do I have to call ship services or can I purchase one when I get on the ship?

I have never been on HAL, only on one prior cruise so I am not sure about a lot of things. Any help is appreciated!

DH does not remember paying $6.50 for his whiskey sours in Sept., so ...either HAL has had a price increase, or the signature drink card is not a deal, or DH had an even better time than he remembers! Can a more recent cruiser verify the current prices? The wine card does seem to be a good deal. Plan to order a 20 pour today.The house wines that HAL serves are plenty drinkable to me, and DH, also, wouldn't know premium liquor if he got it.

I was wondering if this meant a "signature drink" inferred more than the standard brand of liquor or something. It seemed a rather high price to me, too.

Hi there~

I am going on HAL's Maasdam on the 11th :) , and just saw this thread about wine cards. It sounds like a great deal to me; do I have to call ship services or can I purchase one when I get on the ship?

I have never been on HAL, only on one prior cruise so I am not sure about a lot of things. Any help is appreciated!

Come join our roll call...we are here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=279423

Hi there~

Follow this link; a pdf file will open, print it up and you can mail it to ship services or fax it to the 800 number listed....Enjoy...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

Here's something to consider:

Wine-by-the-glass is usually one of the most expensive ways to drink on land or sea.

You can order a bottle of wine and leave it at your favorite bar. The bartender, or server, will recork if you don't finish and you can enjoy it the next day.

On an eleven-day cruise, my wife drinks four bottles of white (and the winery that she prefers) that way. For what she orders, that works out to about $100. And she gets more than 10 glasses.

You'd be hard pressed to get 4 bottles of decent wine on a cruise these days for $100, I would think. You would, obviously, then be limited to four wines, regardless of what you felt like eating. This is what cautions us from bringing our own wine onboard.

I'm not criticising so much as thinking out loud here.

Welcome aboard! I ordered the winecard in advance to save myself time standing in line at guest services. They're always busy solving problems and making nice on the first day. Also don't know for sure if they're available onboard, especially since they just started offering them a couple of weeks ago, according to Hal. Hope to meet you next week at one of our get-togethers.

Archived