Cat 11 vs. Cat 12

Casual Cruising

We booked Carnival Pride for the week of 3/18 to celebrate our 25th with our young adult kids. I want everything to be the best. We have earned it!

What is the difference between a Cat 11 and Cat 12 stateroom? Is it only square footage? Besides priority embarking (is that word?), are there any other perks for suite passengers? I booked Cat 12 because I wanted the best. I hope I am not wasting money.

Also, we booked through Carnival direct. How does Carnival know if we are a past cruiser or not? (We are.) The lady booking did not ask and even if she did, I have no idea what our past sail & sign # (or whatever it is called) would be. Where would I find this?

I did asked the lady booking if the mariner # we have from HAL would be worth anything with Carnival because they are owned by the same parent company. She said "No". Too bad they don't do cross promotion on their cruise lines. We decided to take cruises on HAL and Carnival for different cruise experiences. If I were in their marketing dept., I might think that the couple who wants to cruise alone might be the same couple that wants to have a family experience.

Thanks for your input. This is my first post on cruise critic.

Don't know how to use all the icon things, so I will just say "I'd rather get Casual...Cruising".

Casual Cruising

Can't answer all your questions, but we had a Cat 11 on Triumph last June. It was a wonderful cabin for two of us...lots of room...more closet space than we could use...great balcony.:)

We asked our Room Steward if we should have booked a Cat 12...she let us take a peak into one just down the hall from us. It was bigger but that was about all...we got to get on first and get off first...that's all the perks we got and apparently that is all the Cat 12 gets too.:D

Now, before you start thinking you have wasted money booking a Cat 12, let me say if I were travelling with a group and would have people meeting or gathering in the suite, or, if we entetained other folks we met on the crusie then a Cat 12 would be what I would want.

The only other time I would want a Cat 12 is if I decide that I deserved the very best cabin on the ship just because I do! And I guess maybe when it is all said and done that is the very best reason!:)

Have a great cruise!

Tom&Deb:)

We were on the Spirit the end of October. We had a Cat 11 friends had the cat 12. Not enough difference for the $$. Their balcony was a little bigger. The cabin had a few more sq feet, not any more storage area. Their bathtub was bigger but also deeper...harder to get in and out of. I would get a Cat 11 again. As far as perks not many, but they were the same.:)

Casual,

I've got a Cat 11 on the Pride for its next sailing. Like others, my guess is that you are concerned not about stowage space, but seating, mingling, entertaining space. I am going to presume your adult children will have their own room!

If I can, I'll get a good look at both. according to a few websites out here, there is only a 25 sq ft difference between the two rooms... but where that space is could be critical. The outdoor space is clearly bigger, but I dont know if they include balcony space in square footage.

Oh well... hope I can help you soon!

We booked Carnival Pride for the week of 3/18 to celebrate our 25th with our young adult kids. I want everything to be the best. We have earned it!

What is the difference between a Cat 11 and Cat 12 stateroom? Is it only square footage? Besides priority embarking (is that word?), are there any other perks for suite passengers? I booked Cat 12 because I wanted the best. I hope I am not wasting money.

Also, we booked through Carnival direct. How does Carnival know if we are a past cruiser or not? (We are.) The lady booking did not ask and even if she did, I have no idea what our past sail & sign # (or whatever it is called) would be. Where would I find this?

I did asked the lady booking if the mariner # we have from HAL would be worth anything with Carnival because they are owned by the same parent company. She said "No". Too bad they don't do cross promotion on their cruise lines. We decided to take cruises on HAL and Carnival for different cruise experiences. If I were in their marketing dept., I might think that the couple who wants to cruise alone might be the same couple that wants to have a family experience.

Thanks for your input. This is my first post on cruise critic.

Don't know how to use all the icon things, so I will just say "I'd rather get Casual...Cruising".

Casual Cruising

There are two differences between the cat 11 cabins and the cat 12 cabins on the Pride. The inside of the cat 12 cabins is larger than the inside of the cat 11 cabins. The balcony of the cat 12 cabins is larger than the balcony of the side facing cat 11 cabins. However, the balcony on the rear corner cat 11 cabins is about twice the size of a cat 12 balcony and the rear corner cat 11 balconies wrap-a-round to the side, so that you get a 270 degree view.

Other than priority embarkation and the larger cabin, there are no other perks for suite passengers.

Do you have any of the information from your prior cruise? Did you keep your sail and sign card? Do you remember the date and ship that you cruised on? Do you have any of the Current magazines? All of these have information that might help Carnival identify your prior cruise.

Thank you all for the info. Tom and Sheryl, your pictures are beautiful. Good looking friends too.

I wish I would have sent out this post before I booked. I booked before I looked.

I'm glad that at least there is allot of room in CAT 12 because I hope our adult children (not staying in our room), want to hang with the old folks. I can't tell you how fun it is to drink with your kids. Wicked, I know.

I will have to get down the old card board box in the closet to see if I can find any prior cruise info. I think once I got a glimps of the bill from our prior Carnival Cruise, I threw all tangible monetary memories in the trash. Man, that sail and sign card can really catch up with you.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Now.... where do you get cruise clothes in the dead of winter?

I'd rather be........... casual & cruising.

Tom-n-Cheryl, what lovely pics and thanks for sharing! Had a lovely cat 11 onboard one of the Liberty's Med cruises this Fall, on Empress Deck 7. Roomier inside for a wine and cheese party for eight after Barcelona and a bit warmer as it was colder outside at night BUT...your lovely balcony would be a wonderful consideration. Goodness...another lovely option to make looking forward to the next cruise harder! :D :D Well, aren't we all lucky to have such happy things to look forward to. :)

Tom-n-Cheryl, what lovely pics and thanks for sharing! Had a lovely cat 11 onboard one of the Liberty's Med cruises this Fall, on Empress Deck 7. Roomier inside for a wine and cheese party for eight after Barcelona and a bit warmer as it was colder outside at night BUT...your lovely balcony would be a wonderful consideration. Goodness...another lovely option to make looking forward to the next cruise harder! :D :D Well, aren't we all lucky to have such happy things to look forward to. :)

You are welcome!

Keep in mind that the corner CAT 11's are only on Spirit class ships (which they are no longer building): Spirit, Legend, Pride, and Miracle.

The corner cabins on Conquest class ships (including the Liberty) are CAT 9A's - and though they have a large balcony (not quite as big as the 11's) the interior leaves a lot to be desired. I can't understand why they did not continue the corner/suite concept with the Conquest class...:confused:

Tom

Mayeb you had a bad PVP, but we got a nice discount for being a past guest - couple hundred bucks per person, and it could be applied to our whole party (the second cabin). It's worth finding that booking number and pestering your PVP... Of course, the active military/veteran discount is a little better, even...

We agree with Tom/Cheryl - Cat 11 Wraparounds Rock! Or is it, Rule? The separate sitting room is good for entertaining, esp. since it leads straight out to that huge balcony, and the kids can use both without disturbing you back in your bedroom, which is at the corner of the ship. (Just get them an extra room key...) And the views from the corners are so far superior to the straight side balconies, it's no comparison.

If you can garner a wraparound with the next door aft cabin, well, that is hog heaven... whether they are connecting or not.

One alternative is to get a Cat 11 with an adjoining cat 8 - and open the balcony dividers. That makes for one long balcony... and with them open, it's like having a 2-bed, 2-bathroom, suite. On your cruise, there are a couple of unbooked suites with cat 8's next to them... just a thought.

Archived