Excursions in Colon, Panama

Dick D.

Howdy Dick!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your post regarding Colon, Panama. However, you have posted on the forum where members find the "How to ..." type of information for using Cruise Critic's software on avatars, signatures, countdown clocks or attaching pictures, etc. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per our Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the Ports of Call - Panama Canal Forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89 where it will be more on topic. The new location for your thread is where your fellow Cruise Critic members will be able to help you with information. Also, please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature there with your key word or words to help narrow down the threads you will want to research for even more information.

Also, I suggest you read FAQ and Guidelines on the blue bar above. Especially the "Getting Started" section in FAQ. That's where you will see how a new topic should be consistent with the specific forum you choose. There is a brief summary of the forums there too. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php for the list of all the Cruise Critic forums and be sure to read all Announcement and Sticky threads at the top of the various forums for additional information too.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I'm cruising the Legend on 3-8-07 and was trying to find out what are some popular excursions?

We just returned from the Western Caribbean (Panama, Costa Rica and Belize) and took the Two Oceans by Railroad excursion. Since we like to explore on our own, I tried to book the train myself, but they will not do it. So if you want to take the train from Colon to Panama City you must book through the cruise line.

We only booked this excursion through the cruise line as it was the only way to ride the train. If we were to return to Panama, we would try to hire a car and driver for the day.

You do get to see the canal. You do not see the locks on the train, but you can see ships traveling on the lake. If your excursion includes Miraflores, you will go the visitor center and possibly see ships going through the locks.

Try to reserve the Dome Car and sit on the top level - you can see so much more!

4. On our excursion there we so many people!!!! They took us to Miraflores which was a highlight for me.

They took us to a shopping center - go figure - to buy trinkets. Not my favorite thing to spend time on when we only have a few hours in port. I wanted to see more of Panama not shopping.

Be aware that Colon is not a tourist city. On the tour, everything is very safe. The bus ride to the train is an experience as stop signs and traffic signals are up for decoration only. Makes for a good story!

Bring food. You will not have the opportunity to eat anything until you get back on the train and at that it is chips and crackers.

While we enjoyed the experience, we only booked through the ship because it was the only way to take the train and we were uncertain of the driver options in Colon.

Some of the Cruise Critic friends on the cruise did the Indian Village and like it.

For the remainder of of Ports of Call we booked private excursions which were much better and more exciting! (I really do not like cruise line excursion because I feel like they are herding us from one location to another.)

Hope this helps!

I'm cruising the Legend on 3-8-07 and was trying to find out what are some popular excursions?

We are also booked on this cruise and after reading a lot about the tours offered by My Friend Mario on Cruise Critic, we are considering cancelling our long, hot $175 Panama Canal tour w/ Carnival. The pictures of the Pacific Queen, the boat Mario uses, look really really nice. His tour is 7:30 to 4 pm. Carnival Legend is set to leave Panama at 4:00, but according to Mario's website, he offers a return flight which arrives at 3:20, and costs only $15 more per person, making his total tour price $150. Does anyone else have any info on this?

What have you decided to book?

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and that beautiful blue water! Only 2 weeks to go!!!

Carol

i just came off the liberty sunday

we used my friend mario and had laurie a british women who moved to panama 30 years ago

she was great we saw the canal and went to a indian village

there was some hiking and a canoe ride that was great

if you are up to activity it was alot of fun

emaiil them they get back to you asap

i just came off the liberty sunday

we used my friend mario and had laurie a british women who moved to panama 30 years ago

she was great we saw the canal and went to a indian village

there was some hiking and a canoe ride that was great

if you are up to activity it was alot of fun

emaiil them they get back to you asap

sorry if this double posts, but as often happens :mad: at this time of night, we have some problems with cruiscritic site

we have tentatively booked this tour ...concern is that the village part is "staged" by the local folks (don't mean to be demeaning, but don't want to be there to take pics of actors). big draw for us on this tour is the waterfall...is it worth it? also you said "upt to the activity"...seems like just a 20 minute hike to the waterfall. is there more? thanks 8 days and counting:D

Manhattenup:

We took the Indian Village tour with MyFriendMario in December. Yes the visit to the Indian Village is staged, but we still felt it was interesting. We enjoyed the visit to the waterfall, but felt it was too short; however, that was at least partially due to the fact that we were there on a "busy" day. Our visit to the Locks was even shorter since we were running late.

What we enjoyed most was our guide. He was an expert on biodiversity and provided a lot of information on the ride to/from the lake where the Indian village and waterfall are.

Archived