***new Canada Background Checks**

ruthandjohn

Hi. I just got this info and it is VITAL if you are cruising to Alaska especially from Vancouver.

The Canadian govt is now doing background checks as you fly in. THAT's fine, but if you have a DUI in your past, even years ago, YOU WILL BE TURNED BACK AT THE AIRPORT!

Read this article and info at

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/old-dui-stay-away-from-canada.html?id=2327630&source=nltype_cruise&value=2007-03-13&u=3DD43C63B5

It could spoil a lot of folks cruises this summer!

Ruth

Hate to say this but this has been happening to Canadians trying to cross into the states for a few years now. I was crossing at Niagara Falls and was held for about an hour while they did background checks etc. They then put a small official form into my passport and said that if I didnt return the form with 3 months I would be banned from entering the US. And I have no criminal record, it was just a form to say that I had been through the clearance checks.

Canada is tightening up their borders the same way that the US has been doing since 2001 and its not such a bad idea

I take the Alaska State Ferry from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan and return every summer. I have personally seen people turned back from entering into Canada because of DWI convictions. They have to immediately reboard the ferry and return to Ketchikan.

This is for real. Canada has there own laws and you have to respect them.

That's just life.

won't bother me...

no record, no blemish...just as much travel as i can do!!!

funny story, on way back from athens cruise with stop in london..all the passport people kept looking at the passport, looking back at the computer...back to me. got to dallas, our guys checked it and started laughing..asked if i had any problems on this trip? seems that my passport is the same number as criminal!! he told me it wasn't a problems since she is serving life in prison for the last 25 years!!

i have a brother, always thought his way was the only way. i was a total square (i am and proud of it). the only way he can cross a border is by the "other" route.

i would have been heart broken to find i couldn't cross any borders...how can you grow and see new sights if you can't travel?

some of the ones with really good advice are keeping quiet. if it was this way a year ago, i would have been on /off really quick. the only reason i am still here is to learn for future trips. i look over for advice on other places too. gave some advice on taxi's in athens today.

some of the ones with really good advice are keeping quiet. if it was this way a year ago, i would have been on /off really quick. the only reason i am still here is to learn for future trips. i look over for advice on other places too. gave some advice on taxi's in athens today.

first- i cant believe that you all are as perfect as you are claiming to be- you never speed??? right... just because you have never been caught doing the little things that we all does not mean that you can look down yr nose on others...

second- what in the world is this post saying??? what really good advice???

We are facing this head on like adults- over ONE incident 25+ years ago- please- we are not talking about murder here!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very interesting that Lifinfastlane and Monte (mbisson) had a whole slew of posts deleted from here, but UTVOLS was BANNED for "disrupting message boards"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: She has been a breath of fresh air to this place!

Okay, I missed some of the excitement (darn work) and it's been hard to catch up before the threads (or posts) are deleted. I haven't wanted to say anything but...

I am with Toyz711 on the current state of this board. The information I have learned from this board has been invaluable in arranging my cruise to Alaska. That said, I am glad I found it last fall because if I were to have found it today I don't think I would have stuck around. The spark has gone along with loss of many valued and informative (and intersting) posters.

I am glad that the planning for my Alaska cruise is complete (now I just have to wait until May 18th) so I will be spending most of my time on the other boards planning my next cruise. I hope to run across many of you familiar posters again.

P.S. NancyIL, I have to say I have learned so much from you and throughly enjoyed your postings. I hope to one day run into you on a cruise, you sound like you would be a blast to sail with!

Happy Sailings... Cindy

1st...the ones that got deleleted included me! not a problem, the discussion got very personal and very nasty by one person. if everyone had been mature enough, it never would have happened. monte did right by putting her on the her "list" so he won't have to be bothered by her again.

2nd...it got a bad troll hit. a nasy, 1-hit wonder got on and started feeding the hate that was spreading. that got "poof"ed also, good!!

3rd..subject needs to go back to talking about alaska. personal discussions need to go to the floataway lounge or another board. i missed the travel discussions:(

Thanks for the compliment, Cindy. :) Any info I've passed along has been learned from reading some wonderful guidebooks and paying attention to the experts here. It certainly isn't because I've been to Alaska - which has been pointed out again and again. :rolleyes:

What's the "her 'list'"?

If you left click on someone's screen name, you can add to a buddy or ignore list. Not sure what the buddy list does, but the ignore list probably doesn't show any posts by that person when you are reading through a thread.

that's what monte did, the ignore list. Lifinfastlane was calling him names.

i see one of the canadians got their port deleleted also. wish they had deleted more of mine, they don't make sense with the other posts gone!

my dyslexia has been really bad the last couple of days, i transpose words/letter and don't see them to correct them. hence "her list" instead of "his list"

1. I agree that NancyIl's posts are great - even if they embarass me since she hasn't been to Alaska and she is quoting things I should have picked up from the books I have read. I think the posts by Alaska locals and BQ are also most insightful and it is unfortunate that a number of posters have been banned. I know that CC is a business, but I think the banning and deletion power should be used sparingly. Interestingly, on another company's site for Argentina (my April destination), a number of posters have been banned and the interest seems to be in decline.

2. Perhaps this is cold and heartless but DUI is a serious offense and I am amazed at the number of posters who seem irrated by Canada's policy - which to me seems tp be a perfectly valid exercise its responsibility of protecting its citizens. Why should Canada give a non-citizen the benefit of the doubt. If there is truly an "old and cold" conviction, the visitor can apply for a waiver.

[quote name='pacthepuppies']first- i cant believe that you all are as perfect as you are claiming to be- you never speed??? right... just because you have never been caught doing the little things that we all does not mean that you can look down yr nose on others...
second- what in the world is this post saying??? what really good advice??? 
We are facing this head on like adults- over ONE incident 25+ years ago- please- we are not talking about murder here!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Patch, thank you soooo much for putting this in proper perspective. I came here yesterday to vent I was crying and upset and was viciously attacked, no help, just insults by the holier than thous. If people have no advice to offer why comment". One poster even made reference to my mother and father and said I'm the type of person Canada wants to keep out....this from a person old enough to know better.

Now staying on topic.......I spoke to my boyfriend lastnight at length, he was so understanding the incident was even kind of funny and it happened when I was 17. A few of his golf buddies are lawyers, lobbyists and even a judge with political connections in D.C so I feel a lot better now. There's something called expunging that can seal your records, I hope that helps.

As for those people judging, I guess Martha Stewart won't be able to get into Canada since she has a criminal record. Should I even mention Clinton lying under oath and admitting to drug use, that's a felony.

I don't respond to Toy, I think she is very mean and judgemental IMO.

I take the Alaska State Ferry from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan and return every summer. I have personally seen people turned back from entering into Canada because of DWI convictions. They have to immediately reboard the ferry and return to Ketchikan.

This is for real. Canada has there own laws and you have to respect them.

That's just life.

Based upon information gleamed from other threads/same topic, on other CC boards, the U.S. has been doing this to Canadians for years. Assuming this is true, regardless of how we feel about it, it's repricicosity.

Toyz, all of my posts were deleted, including the ones to you. :confused:

In any case, just to make it clear....

1. Impaired driving, as it is called in Canada is an indictable charge (meaning criminal). It is not a summary offence (misdemeanour). It doesn't matter how it was charged in the US.

2. All the information is coming from US Homeland Security. It's part of a new US initiative to increase border security. The same is going to start to happen in Europe as well. The world is getting smaller.

3. Anything you did underage should be on your criminal record in any case.

4. Pardons (either US or Canada) don't count for anything in the opposite jurisdiction. In other words, the US doesn't recognize Canadian pardons and Canada therefore doesn't recognize US pardons. Want that to change, speak to your elected officials.

5. Both the US and Canada have systems for people who have records. Canada charges CAD$200 and the US charges USD$265. In the case of Canada, a border guard is allowed, at his own discretion, to consider you rehabilitated at no charge.

6. A boycott of Canada is a pretty stupid suggestion. Canadians spend 4X as much in the US as Americans visiting Canada. The end result would hurt the US economy more than it would hurt the Canadian economy.

7. Several articles, including an article in Travel Weekly, have suggested that there is no real change in the number of Americans being denied entry to Canada, including interviews with Holland America.

Archived