What are things you feel the need take with you?

BigTee2000

I am sure this thread has been done before but I thought I would start it again.

What are things you feel you need to take with you or ideas you might share of things to do for a cruise?

I tend to pack things in zip lock bags to keep them sorted and easy to find. You know how a suit case can get after a couple of days of digging through.

I am sure this thread has been done before but I thought I would start it again.

What are things you feel you need to take with you or ideas you might share of things to do for a cruise?

I tend to pack things in zip lock bags to keep them sorted and easy to find. You know how a suit case can get after a couple of days of digging through.

I always bring a power strip! There are not many plugs in a room (at least not in the rooms i have been in SO far)! A lot of people bring the plastic divider thing that hangs over the back of the bathroom door! I am bringing one from now on!! There is such a long list of stuff that people bring: duct tape, highlighters, post it notes, bungee cords, etc. etc. Packing things in baggies is a good idea, i do that too! My first cruise i packed WAY too much stuff, my 2nd was better, and the 3rd was even BETTER!! :D

Oh yes, my own pillow! And definitely a power strip.

Also bring a small desk top fan. Oh, and clothes pins. Great for hanging the wet bathing suits in the shower. And if you have a balcony, it will help prevent your items from blowing off while travelling.

One of those pop up (springy) mesh hampers. Makes it so much easier to store dirties. Just shove it in the bottom of the closet, and badda-bing.

...a battery operated air freshener (the kind that puffs the scent)..on my last cruise my daughter invited a couple of kids to our stateroom and they said "wow your room smells great...ours smells like feet!" LOL :eek: . I also bring a large travel mug so I can sit by the pool for a while without having to walk back and forth to refill my cup. Over the door organizer, travel alarm clock, post it notes, highlighters, power strip.

Money, sunscreen, money, post it notes, money, thermal coffee mug, money, at least 3 bathing suits, money, comfortable shoes, money, jewelry, money, a tote bag for the beach, money, 2 pairs of sunglasses, money, a small collapsible cooler for keeping drinks cool at the beach, money, lots of clothes, money, a travel alarm Clock, money, photocopies of important docs, money, a highlighter, money, snorkeling equipment, money, camera, money, first aid kit, money, purel, money, lysol wipes, money, tide to go stain remover, money, a good attitude, money, sweater or shawl for chilly dining room, money, my family and last but not least, MONEY!

Thanks so much for starting this thread. We leave next Sunday and although I've seen lists like this in the past, it will be a good refresher for all the last minute things I need to pack.

Money, sunscreen, money, post it notes, money, thermal coffee mug, money, at least 3 bathing suits, money, comfortable shoes, money, jewelry, money, a tote bag for the beach, money, 2 pairs of sunglasses, money, a small collapsible cooler for keeping drinks cool at the beach, money, lots of clothes, money, a travel alarm Clock, money, photocopies of important docs, money, a highlighter, money, snorkeling equipment, money, camera, money, first aid kit, money, purel, money, lysol wipes, money, tide to go stain remover, money, a good attitude, money, sweater or shawl for chilly dining room, money, my family and last but not least, MONEY!

LOL! too funny!:D

Good thread, thanks for the reminders!

I assume the electrical points are US style?

I'm a light packer and take only what I barely need to make it through the week. I used to overpack and take all the suggestions on packing lists, but found so much of it to be unnecessary and a waste of pre-cruise $$.

Which takes us to celebrity's' suggestion of more money. Twice as much as you anticipate you will need.

My list is: clothes, toiletries (as little as possible), a good camera, one bottle of sunscreen for each person, as few shoes as you can get away with and at least one cell phone, fully charged and turned off, only to be used in case of emergency or for absolutely necessary calls.

The rest of the stuff stays home. It was a bit scary at first to pack this way, but I don't miss any of the "stuff".

A tip: if you must have a collapsible cooler, pack it and use it as your carry on, don't pack empty bags.

I tend to agree with happy ks. EXCEPT if you are tech-heavy, a power strip is probably a good idea. And, post-it notes. I find them invaluable as a communication resource within the family and with the cabin steward.

my favorite coffee tumbler (their coffee cups just don't hold enough for me in the morning...

travel-size hand sanitizer and aloe (in case you get too much sun).

bottled water ($3 for a bottle of water is highway robbery) - we pack a case in a small suitcase, which we then use to bring home extra stuff we purchased (souvenirs, duty-free liquor).

Great ideas so far!

I also bring a compact but fairly good first aid kit (we are a family of klutzes...), including bandaids, ointments, drops, stuff for burns, stings and bites, favourite cold, flu, motion sickness, stomach upset, allergy remedies...)

Extra pairs of eye glasses.

Nice soap.

Snorkel stuff.

Copies of receipts for everything that I have booked and/or paid for.

Sewing kit.

Lots of ziploc bags in different sizes to prevent shampoos etc. from leaking into clothing in suitcases.

Hand cleanser that we can carry with us.

Insulated water bottle carriers.

travel-size hand sanitizer and aloe (in case you get too much sun).

Ahhhh, yes, hand sanitizer!! I found a small size that has a rubber loop thing on it and it can hook to a backpack, etc. You can't be TOO careful, especially around the buffet!!;) Aloe is one of those things that you hope you DON'T need, but if you are not used to the Caribbean sun, or ANY sun, for that matter, you will be glad you brought it!!

I use my good old Mountain Equipment Co-Op knapsack as a carry-on, and then it can double as a beach bag or day pack. I like it because it has a few secret pockets that are good for packing valuables.

A couple essentials that I almost never use, but am happy to have along- a small Maglite flashlight, and my spare glasses. I never took spare glasses until one day I was walking on a small dock in Ireland and the lens popped out of my glasses. We caught it just as it spun into the water, but I learned my lesson.

Viv

Lysol wipes to go over all the surfaces in room when you first arrive(phone, remote, door handles...) I've had the noro and don't want it ever again!! Sound machine alarm clock is the absolute must have for me or I would never get any sleep. Music for the room my son takes his ipod with small speakers great for a balcony also.

I pack a highlighter, colapsable cooler, beach towel or buy on on the ship or in port, we also try to get delivery at our pre cruise hotel of coke and water and have empty suit case for that. I bring my portable DVD player to watch on the plane or in the car or to watch it in the cabon or listen to the CD's while getting ready for diner.

Lexi

We are traveling on Liberty Of The Seas soon. Don't they already have alarm clocks in the staterooms???[/quote

nope! they use the wake up call system

definitely bring alarm clock just in case!

Imodium & Pepto are a MUST! :eek:

noted above: as for a fan.........i got one from the info desk because our room was so hot! (to me anyway)

extra set of contacts for those that wear them!

I'm a light packer and take only what I barely need to make it through the week. I used to overpack and take all the suggestions on packing lists, but found so much of it to be unnecessary and a waste of pre-cruise $$.

Which takes us to celebrity's' suggestion of more money. Twice as much as you anticipate you will need.

My list is: clothes, toiletries (as little as possible), a good camera, one bottle of sunscreen for each person, as few shoes as you can get away with and at least one cell phone, fully charged and turned off, only to be used in case of emergency or for absolutely necessary calls.

The rest of the stuff stays home. It was a bit scary at first to pack this way, but I don't miss any of the "stuff".

A tip: if you must have a collapsible cooler, pack it and use it as your carry on, don't pack empty bags.

I decided this is the way to go on my last cruise. I had to actually fly to my port of departure for a change and didn't want to check any luggage - I don't trust the airlines with my stuff unless I absolutely have to.

I packed everything I needed for a 5 night cruise into one rolling carry-on suitcase and one big "purse". ;) In the "purse" went my real purse and all the electronic stuff I feel compelled to bring - at least 2 digital still cameras and a video camera.

I even ended up not using all I packed including the too many shoes again and still too much makeup. I've realized I don't need a different color of lipgloss for each day. I even had a battery charger and straightening iron along with formal dress stuffed in the luggage with all those shoes. I amazed even myself. :p

If I can do it, anyone can.

We are traveling on Liberty Of The Seas soon. Don't they already have alarm clocks in the staterooms???[/quote

nope! they use the wake up call system

definitely bring alarm clock just in case!

Imodium & Pepto are a MUST! :eek:

noted above: as for a fan.........i got one from the info desk because our room was so hot! (to me anyway)

extra set of contacts for those that wear them!

And I bring my glasses in case I screw up the extra disposable contacts I bring or for those late nights when my contacts feel dried out from the smoke along with being tired.

Gina

Definately money..

Extra hangers. Never enough in cabin plus too big.

Woolite or small detergent if you want to wash anything out.

I have to take meds for several conditions and I split these in 2 containers in case one gets lost or stolen. I keep prev prescription bottle so I have 2 of each.

Fanny pack.

Cell phone and charger

Flashlight for both of us with extra batteries a must since power went out in hotel once.

Small scissors to cut out something or cut off tags. Never know if you decide you changed your mind on new item and so I don't take tags off till I wear.

These lists are always great because someone always mentions something you did not think of..

pump foaming hand soap. I hate nasty bar soap at the sink.

I guess I should start bringing a pillow even tho they take up so much room (I am a light packer). the pillows are often stinky and the steward sometimes looks at me like I'm nuts when I ask for a new one :rolleyes:

I noticed a couple of people listed an travel alarm. I always use room service for that. My first day on the ship I call room service and ask that a pot of hot coffee w/3cups and a hot chocolate be deliverd to the room every day at 7:00 am. Usually between 6:45am and 6:50am they call and ask if they can bring it. Is nice waking to a fresh cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

Archived