What are things you feel the need take with you?

BigTee2000

I have my toiletry kit packed all the time, we usually go for weekends several times a year and it seems you need the same "stuff" whether you are gone for 1 or 11 nights! This is the bag that takes the most time to plan out, so I just refill whenever I get home. Clothing I could have packed in less than an hour, a toiletry bag takes a lot more thought.

A first aid kit is essential whenever you leave home. But, don't get too carried away with it. I have a small assortment of remedies, not whole bottles or boxes. A small tube of neosporin and a few bandaids. It all fits into a makeup bag that measures about 4" X 6", I have a clear one that security can easily see through. or flight, I just place the gels or liquids into the appropriate ziploc bag.

We are all different and the essentials vary with each individual. The best way to find out what works best for you is to go on more cruises :) :)

Money, sunscreen, money, post it notes, money, thermal coffee mug, money, at least 3 bathing suits, money, comfortable shoes, money, jewelry, money, a tote bag for the beach, money, 2 pairs of sunglasses, money, a small collapsible cooler for keeping drinks cool at the beach, money, lots of clothes, money, a travel alarm Clock, money, photocopies of important docs, money, a highlighter, money, snorkeling equipment, money, camera, money, first aid kit, money, purel, money, lysol wipes, money, tide to go stain remover, money, a good attitude, money, sweater or shawl for chilly dining room, money, my family and last but not least, MONEY!

Adopt Me ! ! ! ! ! :D :rolleyes: :p

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Passport + 2 copies

Reservation Doc’s/Cruise Doc’s

Copy of credit cards with Phone #’s

Personal Business Cards

Camera/Charger

Phone Charger

Inno/Charger

“First Aid” Kit – Bandaids, Neosporin, Bonine, Pepsid, etc

Deodorant

Baby wipes

Q-Tips

Suntan Lotion

Vitamins

Sun Glasses

Tide stick

Nail clippers

Flashlight

Binoculars

Pens

Envelopes

Nightlight

Sewing kit w/safety pins

Power cord

Clothes pins

Laundry basket

Over the door shoe hanger

Imodium (anti diarhea)

First Aid Kit - Band Aids , Neosporin, Aloe Vera (burns)

Sunglasses

IPOD - Need music at the beach.

Playing Cards - Some of the group want to play some rounds

Extension Cord - we all have lots of things to charge

Post It Notes - Easy for notes on doors of friends and instructions for your room attendant. Great for getting extra pillows.

Magnets – for the door.

Duct Tape - For more reasons than one can list.

Downey Sheets - Keeps your suit case fresh smelling before and after.

Alarm Clock - They are not on the boat (wake up calls are available)

Photo Copies of Passport, credit cards and ID - Just in case you need them

Flashlight - In case of power loss in the dark

Closet Style Shoe Holder - Packs light and makes great sorter in closet or bathroom door.

Collapsable Laundy Basket- holds dirty clothes in the closet neatly and takes up no room at all in luggage. Leave it behind, they're cheap

Super Large Zip Lock Bags - Use to seperate pre-cruise packing items / Use to pack dirty laundry - damp items on the last night.

Night Light - It's better than the bathroom light on all night

Small Bottle of Laundry Soap - For soaking spills in the bathroom sink.

Downey Wrinkle Release Spray - For minor wrinkle issues - No Ironing

Clothes Pins - For hanging wet swim wear in the bathroom

Hi Liters - For marking your Daily Compass activity plans (one color for each person in your group.)

Binoculars - (Obvious)

Camera / Camcorder - (Buy your underwater disposable before leaving (much cheaper $$$))

Camera Accessories - Film,Chargers, Cords, USB Cords, Spare Alkaline Batteries in case you forget to charge at night.

Digital Camera's - Bring extra Memory Chip - You will take more pictures than you plan.

Bathroom Air Freshner (spray) - How do I put this delicate? For large odors in a small space.

Xtra Coat Hangers - Buy em cheap, leave em behind when done. You can iron the night before at your hotel and hang for quick transfer to the closet on board.

Hats/ Visors - The sun is a killer if you are not used to it. Scalps can badly burn.

SunScreen - Much cheaper to bring your own.

Seasick Meds - Bonine, PAtch, Ginger Pills, Whatever, just rbign them.

Most Important - Docs, Passports and $$$$$

my favorite coffee tumbler (their coffee cups just don't hold enough for me in the morning....

Ditto! We always bring a travel mug that holds more than the little paper cups they offer.

Along with the passports and travel docs, we always keep a photocopy of our Travel Insurance......in Canada most Group Insurance includes Travel Assist Health Care Insurance of some type. I work in the industry and reccommend that Clients make sure that they photocopy the appropriate pages in their booklets and make sure that they also have their card with them. When we return home we put the passports and the Travel Insurance together in the same spot. When and if you ever need to use travel insurance it is best to have all your ducks in a row, depending on the situation it can be quite an ordeal.

We take most of what has been mentioned in previous posts and let the bank know just in case we need to put in a call for more money:rolleyes:

Dee

Travel sewing kit,

Q-tips,

medications and first aid kit,

sticky plasters,

travel wash (for smalls etc)

Passport and travel docs

camera/charger

phone/charger

power adapter(from UK)

sunscreen(For DH)

solarcain

cap

suntan lotion

deodorant

hair gel

binoculars

Looks like I travel light.... until you factor in all the clothes and shoes that I might need if I don't take them:rolleyes: .....and by the way did anyone mention vast amounts of MONEY.................. I'm female we can spend without trying:)

Everyone has such good ideas! I'm already starting to expand my list!

A few things I took or wanted on our last cruise:

1) A sewing kit-- Got off the plane in MIA on the way to our cruise and realized I had split the seam in my pants... had to do a quick repair

2) Sharpie-- I had a few things I wanted to label, but couldn't do with a pen. All the Coke mugs look the same, especially out by the pool, so labeling is always a good idea.

3) A hat-- I am not a hat person, but I kept wanting to read or do a crossword or something out by the pool and it was too bright to see even with sunglasses. A hat is certainly helpful unless you want to sit there with your eyes closed!

I just learned about something that I plan to take in the future. I have a two yr old grandson and have baby wipes with me a lot. One day at church a young Mom was asking is anyone had any baby wipes so that she could clean a coffee spill on her blouse...............IT WORKED. She had read about it and said that it worked better than the Shout wipes. I tried it once and it works wonders and is MUCH cheaper. I'll be taking them in the future. Seems any type works....Huggies, Pampers, Kroger Brand (which I have).

I can not remember where I got this from but I think this is a good idea too.

Take your walet to a photo copy machine and take out everything in it and copy everything front and back. this way you have copies of you id's credit cards and all other things in your walet should something happen to it(god forbid). leave a copy at home and take a copy with you and lock it away.

TJ

not something specific that I take but when packing, I pack 2 bags half my clothes in a with 1/2 of H's, same with hanging bags 1/2 & 1/2.

We also put under garments along with a couple of swimsuits in a carryon.

I figure if something happens to a piece of luggage, at least we each have 1/2 our clothes.

I just learned about something that I plan to take in the future. I have a two yr old grandson and have baby wipes with me a lot. One day at church a young Mom was asking is anyone had any baby wipes so that she could clean a coffee spill on her blouse...............IT WORKED. She had read about it and said that it worked better than the Shout wipes. I tried it once and it works wonders and is MUCH cheaper. I'll be taking them in the future. Seems any type works....Huggies, Pampers, Kroger Brand (which I have).

I carry sanitary wipes of some kind with me everywhere. My SIL was stuck in Cozumel during Hurricane Rita, told her a day she was stuck for 3 ! ! ! Luckily she had HandiWipes with her so they could BATH ...

snorkeling equipment

We are newbies. How come we would bring our snorkeling equipment? (alot to pack)

Is it unavailable on ship or on the beach?

Must you always rent it--for how much?

Do you use your own on snorkeling excursions? Is what they offer of poor quality?

Thanks much!

I use my good old Mountain Equipment Co-Op knapsack as a carry-on, and then it can double as a beach bag or day pack. I like it because it has a few secret pockets that are good for packing valuables.

A couple essentials that I almost never use, but am happy to have along- a small Maglite flashlight, and my spare glasses. I never took spare glasses until one day I was walking on a small dock in Ireland and the lens popped out of my glasses. We caught it just as it spun into the water, but I learned my lesson.

Viv

Before I became experienced.... I was holding our 2 year old baby for bon voyage. Those were the days when they used to hand out streamers. Well holding him, he attempted to do the streamer, hit me in the face and I watched my glassed go into the water. What a great beginning!! Definately an extra pair of glasses, and a full pharmacy of medicine in little tubes for all that might happen. rash, itch, bites, cuts, sorthoats etc.

On our last trip on the Freedom, the night before a RCCL shore excursion, I remembered/noticed we had not been given tickets for a snorkling excursion. :confused:I called the desk--they said I should of received the tickets at the beginning of the week. They checked the computer and said we were not listed at all for the shore excursion and it was full. So it was sorry--too bad. :eek:Luckily, I printed the prebooked excursion--from their web site--showing we had indeed paid for and booked it. I carefully planned out the trip and that excursion was something we really wanted to do. After giving them the code and then showing them the paper--they gave us the tickets.They really gave us a hassel- telling us to pick up the tickets in the am--we would of missed the excursion if we had done that. It is so important to bring copies of everything booked. In Jamaica, our private tour guide sent someone else who had not a clue what we were doing. Luckily, I had a print out from the driver including all the details of the day. It was invaluable--he read it--and the day was as promised.:)

I guess I should start bringing a pillow even tho they take up so much room (I am a light packer). the pillows are often stinky and the steward sometimes looks at me like I'm nuts when I ask for a new one :rolleyes:

Terri23, You can always just bring your own pillow case, its less to carry but still cleaner. :D

You don't need all this stuff just find out who in your roll call is an over-packer and call them and "borrow" what you need. They will feel smart and useful and your back won't be breaking hauling around all taht luggage! See this way everyone feels good at the end of the day.

Soon going on 3rd cruise. All suggestions are good. To add to that, get your favorite doctor to give you a prescription to fill before leaving. Get an antibiotic for strep throat for the kids. One of mine gets sick every trip! Also bring an antibiotic cream for cuts.:cool:

You don't need all this stuff just find out who in your roll call is an over-packer and call them and "borrow" what you need. They will feel smart and useful and your back won't be breaking hauling around all taht luggage! See this way everyone feels good at the end of the day.

lol lol :D :D - Like the way you think

Joyce

I just try to think of all the things I would take if we had to evacuate again (yes, we evacuated for Hurricane Rita, along with our 450,000,000 "new best friends" on Houston freeways....YIKES) and I try to make sure I have most of that....plus snorkel gear and minus three cats.

So far that has meant that we have WAY over-packed! But we are the ones that people are looking for when they under-pack...and I'm sure we have whatever they are seeking.

I have to say I always over pack but better safe than sorry....We usually change cloths 2 to 3 times a day. We take all my own snorkeling equipment. I take cloths for before and after the cruise as I always travel a day or 2 before and after the cruise. I am not going to miss the boat because of a late flight. I almost did the first cruise I went on. Plus I enjoy a couple of days in miami or other ports I might go to.

Archived