Night Tales in Old San Juan

mapleleaf_cruiser

My daughter ( age 16) and I ( in my 30's something) are considering taking the night tales in Old San Juan walking tour when we are in San Juan on Sept 13 2004. I found the tour at http://www.*****.com/nighttales.htm. Has anyone ever taken it? Was it worth the money? etc.

Any opinions would be helpful

Thanks

Val ( 30 days to go and counting)

Wow! After all this years visiting PR, I never knew of this service. I'm bookmarking the site for future reference.

Sounds like a great way to see and get to know San Juan. The website design is very professional, the rates are very reasonable, and the testimonials seem to agree that it's a great tour.

When I travel abroad, I like to learn as much as possible about the places I visit and have, in the past hired private guides with very good results. Besides, the ship's tours are usually too crowded and over priced.

Please post your opinon if you take the tour.

Not to disparage this tour at all, and we may consider it on our next visit, but the details of the length of the tour "Walking distance: 1.2391 Miles / 1.9941Km with rest stops." Indicates that they have measured this walk of about a mile and a quarter down to within 6 inches!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anxiously awaiting word from anyone who has done the Night Tales walking tour?? I was unable to find it in any other searches. The website looks legit and the tour looks like it would be alot of fun. Leaving the first week of October, so keep us posted about this tour, thanks

Ricknlynn

Mrrick747, I hope that you do get positive feedback as we are also planning on doing this tour, but not until after you in November. I did note on their web site that a couple of days are sold out. Not that it pertains to this tour, but we have been to Rottenburg Germany, and both times in spending the night there we did the evening tour with the night watchman (different guides each time, so somewhat different slant for each tour) It was around Christmas and rather cold at night, but since we did it a second time (someone new traveling with us) we obviously enjoyed it. We've also have done an evening bar and ghost walking tour in Savannah that was lots of fun as it was a private tour for about 15 family and friends. Anyway, hopefully we will hear from someone...Randy

• 4 weeks later...

For all of you who were waiting and interested in the "Night Tales", we just returned from our cruise on Saturday and did the "Night Tales" tour on Monday last. We met the tourguide Debbie at Tourism building and realized very quickly that we were the only 2 going on the walk. It was a little intimidating, the one on one, but very enjoyable. Debbie is a younger lady, seems just out of collage maybe, but her knowledge of facts and dates was amazing. It was a little hard, at times, to keep up the quick pace of information, but, a stop here and there for a story or legend and the night moved quickly. It was a wonderful experience, feeling part of the culture for a moment and not just a tourist chasing down trinkets for the cruise industry easter egg hunt. I wouldnt even give a hint as to what we learned, but it was fascinating! The walk (with us at least) was at a healthy pace, up and down streets, alleys and into wonderful places. This of course, is her "legends and tales" walk, I believe she has a more historical during the day. Our tour was from 6pm to 8pm and was well worth the 30 bucks each. It worked out great for us because were only in Port from 430 to 1230 am and most everything was closing or closed. I recommend the tour and will be curious to what others think after they have taken it too.

Rick and Lynn

We just got back from Golden Princess. Did the morning tour with Debbie. She is a delightful person, well-educated and adds a lot of information that you would never get on your own. We even had lunch with her and would never have found the restaurant we did without her council. Her evening tour sounds very interesting just like her morning tour was.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We just got back from our wonderful cruise. One of the highlights was our Night Tales in Old San Juan tour. www.*****.com Debbie filled us with her knowlege. She is a great story teller. We were able to get into some buildings that are closed to the public and saw things we never would have seen without Debbie guiding us.

We were interested in bringing back some Puerto Rican coffee and Debbie just happens to be an expert in that field as well. She even took us shopping to buy it. I'm having a cup right now, very good. Debbie recomended a wonderful rum. 'Ron del Barrilito' She said it is a small mom and pop place. After this we went to Majito's and bought our wonderful tour guide a drink.

We got back to the ship and told of our tour and we didn't talk to anyone that had as good a time as we did. TAKE THE TOUR. IT'S WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

Have a wonderful time,

Robin

• 8 years later...

Thanks, John and Nancy for your report on the tour! I've booked 4 of us, as we've never been to San Juan and want to learn about what we're seeing. I'm a little nervous about the tour times...Debbie says that she operates on local time,and I don't know how that corresponds to ship time. Do you recall? Our ship is scheduled to be there 3pm-10pm. Also, did you happen to eat before or after the tour? I'm traveling with 2 diabetics that will need to eat before the tour. Also, was it far or difficult to find the meeting place for the tour? I believe it's the statute of Columbus, right? THANKS SO MUCH for your response!

Mary

Archived