Tendering?

cruisingchef

Any help will be appreciated.

When tendering, what type of smaller boat is used? I am wondering what type of camera to bring. If tendering tends to be wet, don't want to bring the DSLR , maybe compact camera instead.:(

Thanks

Taylor

Any help will be appreciated.

When tendering, what type of smaller boat is used? I am wondering what type of camera to bring. If tendering tends to be wet, don't want to bring the DSLR , maybe compact camera instead.:(

Thanks

Taylor

Hi Taylor,

The life boats are used for tendering. Sometimes the "roof" is covered, sometimes it's not.

I am a big-time camera person. I carry a DSLR with a nice lens & battery grip and am obsessed with photography. I didn't worry at all about my DSLR getting wet when traveling to & from the yacht. I took precautions, however, by putting it in a neoprene case when on the tenders (I didn't carry a big camera bag or backpack). I also carried rain sleeves & large ziplock bags, but didn't need them on the tenders. If I wanted to take a picture while on the tender, I used a point-& shoot because it was easier/simpler. We did have a couple of occasions where the spray made it inside the tender. I just tucked my wrapped DSLR camera close to my body & it was fine (plus, you'll learn where the dry seats are).

I think you'll be fine with both cameras. I enjoyed photographing the yacht from the tender and was thankful to have my small P&S for that purpose. If you're like me, you'll regret not having the DSLR while in port.:)

On our trips, the tenders are 2 26 passenger enclosed boats with twin Volvo diesels and duo prop outdrives. They can be fast under the right conditions. If there are large groups going at the same time, they will use lifeboats (50 passenger capacity I think) and these can be a bit wet at times. Tendering is usually very well done and painless.

Jim.

Taylor:

One other thing you might want to consider is one or two of the disposable underwater cameras. Take great pictures in the surf at the Champagne Splash. Some of the best pix in the albums were taken being sprayed with champagne.

Jim.

Just adding my $.02 ...

Depending where the Champagne and Caviar Splash is held the "landing" can be wet. Taylor, our splash is to be held on Jost which means we will use Zodiacs instead of the lifeboat/tenders so it will be wet ... meaning that you might have to wade through knee-deep water to get to the beach. It's much easier than I make it sound:p

Still not packed yet ... although I have pulled my 4 bathing suits:D

Just adding my $.02 ...

Depending where the Champagne and Caviar Splash is held the "landing" can be wet. Taylor, our splash is to be held on Jost which means we will use Zodiacs instead of the lifeboat/tenders so it will be wet ... meaning that you might have to wade through knee-deep water to get to the beach. It's much easier than I make it sound:p

Still not packed yet ... although I have pulled my 4 bathing suits:D

Wading through knee-deep water for the Splash is something I didn't consider. In the Med. in November the Splash was held on the pool deck. No worries about surf or spray there. I'll heed Jim's advice & get some disposables. Underwater housings for my DSLR cost almost as much as the cruise! :eek:

Four bathing suits? I only have three. I'm going to have to go shopping! Dangit. :D

Archived