Cruise Directors & Accents

ASUSunDevil25

Okay - maybe someone can help me out:

How come it seems that ALL cruise directors on board American crusies have either an English or Australian accent? Is it just that Americans are so infatuated with the accent - or are the English & Australians just so much more outgoing than us? I am perplexed.

Just curious for feedback - thanks

I think it might have to do with the fact that Americans would have to pay income tax on their income, while almost everyone else is tax-free. Which might explain why there are hardly any Americans on any cruise ship that is under a flag of convenience.

One of our favorite CD's is from the US, now currently living in Alaska. Sammy is great fun and we love her to death.

However, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that cruise ships just don't pay the sort of money that most folks need to live on, especially in the U.S., while for other countries, working on a ship is a windfall.

I do know what you mean about English and Aussie accents though - i could listen to one all night...

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How come it seems that ALL cruise directors on board American crusies have either an English or Australian accent? Is it just that Americans are so infatuated with the accent - or are the English & Australians just so much more outgoing than us? I am perplexed.

What "American Cruises" are you speaking of. I don't even know if there are any American Flag ships any longer. Used to be in Hawaii, but I don't think they are there anymore.

Most cruise ships fly flags countries OTHER than America (USA), and most of their staff is international as well. We've had all different nationalities as CDs.

• 2 weeks later...
As a Brit myself, it might be because of our keen sense of humour. The same goes for the Aussies.:)

john

As an Aussie, I can second that :D:p

It's funny, but most of the staff on the Aussie cruises i've been on have had hardly any Aussie staff on board. Maybe they all get paid better to work in different countries? I think it's great to hear all the different accents and chat with the staff about where they're from :)

On my last cruise the girl who called the bingo was from New Zealand. It was quite annoying hearing her call her assistant "Windy" instead of Wendy though hehehe :)

Read the book "Cruise Blues" about the underside of cruiseing and the politics of why certain people are given certain jobs. Based on what I have read in that book, and what I know first hand, it's likely because they have a good command of the English language, an easy to deal with accent. and have the right kind of persona. In the book it also talks about how even waiters and bartenders are staitioned according to how they look, to attract better customers and bigger tips and more revenue. It's sad.

But like someone else here said, it's a "flag of convenience." When I dated a guy who worked for NCL a crew member jumped overboard and commit suicide because of "ship politics" and the pressure that was put on her..not to mention the "counseling program" she had to go through when she broke a plate once "you werrn't paying attention"

• 2 months later...

I have had several American cruise directors. On 14 crusies this has been true at least 5 or 6 times if not more. I think that is a high percentage myself.

Archived