Walking tour of St. thomas then magen's bay

cruzduo

How big is St. Thomas? Is it possible to do a self guided tour? Are ther any maps available? This will be our first trip and would love to see the island and also spend some time on the beach with water activities such as parasailing and jet skis. Any suggestions for a first timer would be much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

St. Thomas is thirteen miles long by four miles wide, encompasses a little over 31 square miles. The highest point is Crown Mountain at 1,556 feet.

I think the original poster meant a self-guided walking tour of downtown Charlotte Amalie. Yes its possiable to do that, the area is relatively flat and there are historical sites to see and there are resturants, bars and shops also.

Walking tour of the island itself, no not possiable unless you are an athlete looking for a serious workout. Very hilly island! You can rent a car and grab a map and do a self guided driving tour of the island.

Details on doing a self guided tour downtown you can check: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=self+guided+walking+tour+charlotte+amalie&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

There is a driving tour cd for St. Thomas, check at http://www.vitraders.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=21-47&Category_Code=Video. Same site has maps.

Beaches with jetskis and parasailing you could try Sapphire Beach or Morningstar. Coki has jetskis but not sure they have parasailing. Bolongo and Sugar Bay also have jet skis and both can likely arrange parasailing too.

--Islander

Jet Skis: Sapphire ($55/30 minutes, 95/hour, not guided), Sugar Bay ($65/30 minutes, $50 in offseason), guided, 2nd person add $15), Morningstar (1 rider $60/30 minutes and $110 for hour, 2 riders are $80/30 minutes and $150 for hour, 3 riders are $100/30 minute and $190/hour, guided), Coki ($50 for 30 minutes, $90 hour everyday until 4pm. 2 people. 18 years to be driver, need id, not guided) and Bolongo (guided, 18 with DL, $50 for 30 minutes, $10 extra person).

Parasailing, check with the watersports booth at Sapphire for prices http://www.diveinusvi.com/.

--Islander

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds like what we would like to do - our ship is in port from 9 am to 8 pm. We could tour/shop in the morning, eat lunch, return stuff to ship, then take a taxi over to Magen's Bay. Would we have time to visit both Megan's and Coki? Does anyone know the taxi fare between the two? All I can find is fares to and from town. Also, I understand it's about a mile from the ship to downtown. Does it make sense to take a cab? Maybe walk there and take a cab back?

Another issue - it looks like the Paradise Point Skyride is open late when ships are in port. I'd like to do that but maybe it makes sense to taxi back from the beach, change, then do the skyride in the late afternoon/early evening. It's right by the pier, correct? So we wouldn't have any worries about catching a taxi or getting back in time to leave.

I would recommend you reverse your plan and go to Magen's Bay first then lunch and walk around town. By doing it this way you will already be back in town when the traffic picks up and slows down.:eek:

I found this walking tour, which takes in a few more sights.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stthomasusvi/0097010008.html

Thanks very much for the site. I ran it off (3 pages of 4) plus the walking tour map noted at the noted at the end of the tour description. Another poster indicated that the Fort is closed, so I just made that notation on the print-out. In any event, you give me a walking-tour route, which is great for those of us who do not like to wander aimlessly around unknown areas, looking at whatever. ( I want to know where I am going and what I am seeing, which is why I more often than not take guided tours.) :D

Thanks very much for the site. I ran it off (3 pages of 4) plus the walking tour map noted at the noted at the end of the tour description. Another poster indicated that the Fort is closed, so I just made that notation on the print-out. In any event, you give me a walking-tour route, which is great for those of us who do not like to wander aimlessly around unknown areas, looking at whatever. ( I want to know where I am going and what I am seeing, which is why I more often than not take guided tours.) :D

You are very welcome spearmint. Have a wonderful time and hope you enjoy San Juan.

Can't wait 'til we are there in 2 months time. :)

I read somewhere that the stores in town close about 5:00 - our ship will not leave til 8:00. If we did the beach first would we have to leave about 3:00 or so to have enough time to shop - or do the stores close later with a ship in port?

Archived