Help! Which excursion for Charlottetown, P.E.I.

We are trying to decide between 3 excursion when we visit PEI this October on the Connstellation. They are:

Island Drive and Anne of Green Gables Tour

The Ultimate Anne Experience,

and Panoramic Island Drive.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions!! We want to start booking our excursions and need help with this one. Thanks!!!

Barbara

Right, well, being that I live here I might not be the best to reccommend but I have been to all the areas and some of the places mentioned in each of the tours. Unless you're a huge Anne of Green Gables fan and would be thrilled to meet the descendants of the Author of the books, I'd not bother with the Ultimate Anne Experience. The other two I'd be torn. You get a bit of Anne With the Island tour and get to see New Glasgow, home of the PEI Preserve Company, I was just in New Glasgow Saturday and I still marvel at how beutiful its. On the other hand, Victoria-by-the-Sea is one of my favourite villages, I usually take my friends "from away" and they all think it's a charming little coastal fishing village.

If you pinned me down to a choice, for an October tour, I'd have to say the Island Drive and Anne of Green Gables Tour. Don't know if that helps.

Thanks so much for your feedback..........We will eliminate the Ultimate Anne tour. I also thought that might be too much.......

Can you recommend any other "must sees" while we are there?

Barbara

Thanks so much for your feedback..........We will eliminate the Ultimate Anne tour. I also thought that might be too much.......

Can you recommend any other "must sees" while we are there?

Barbara

Oh gee, that's a hard one. I suppose it depends upon your interest.

The city of Charlottetown has many historical buildings you can visit if that's your thing. The city is of great historical significance, it is known as the Birthplace of Confederation, the creation of the constitutional monarchy of Canada. If you enjoy walking, there's a nice boardwalk that runs along the shore from the pier to Victoria Park. There are plenty of small shops and restaurants within walking distance of the pier if you like that sort of thing.

I think either of the two remaining excursions you chose are going to give you a good overview of the province. To me the main attraction of PEI is the beauty of the Island itself. I travel between Summerside and Charlottetown every day and this time of year I just marvel at the beautiful scenery I witness. Everything is so lush and green and the soil fields that are just being planted are a rich red, the water and skies are blue, it's breathtaking some days. When you come in October you may just get to witness the beutiful Fall coulours. But bring some warm clothes, it can be pretty chilly that time of year.

Thanks Colleen,

both of the excursions are in the morning so we will have the afternoon to explore around the city. Will it be easy to walk from the ship into city to explore..........I can't wait!!!

Barbara

Thanks Colleen,

both of the excursions are in the morning so we will have the afternoon to explore around the city. Will it be easy to walk from the ship into city to explore..........I can't wait!!!

Barbara

Oh yes, the pier is only a few short blocks from the shopping and Central Business District. I'm sure you'll have a great time, you'll want to come back and spend your whole vacation another time ;)

SOme info on the city http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

I visit the Island every summer. It has truely been my second home for over 50 years. You are in for a real treat. The scenery, the food, and the people are all wonderful. I agree that the Island Drive is probably the best tour to give you a nice overview of the Island. If you have time I would suggest having a nice lobster for lunch in Charlottetown. There is nothing like a PEI lobster...yummy. Enjoy this wonderful Island. You will probably want to return and spend more time.

I am so excited to visit your island! I can't thank both of you enough for the information and website. This will be a new experience for us because we live in the south and usually cruise the caribbean. How cold should be expect the weather to get?

Barbara

I am so excited to visit your island! I can't thank both of you enough for the information and website. This will be a new experience for us because we live in the south and usually cruise the caribbean. How cold should be expect the weather to get?

Barbara

Not sure when in October you are planning on coming but it can get below freezing at night. Days can be anywhere from warm enough for a light sweater to cold enough for a fleece jacket and gloves. It's not the norm but it's also not unheard of to get a snow flurry or two in late October.

To be honest, coming from Florida, you could have picked a better time of year to come North :p Bring your woolies!

Here's our Tourism page with about all the info you need for visiting PEI http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3

We will be there on October 9th. I plan on bringing clothes that I can layer to fit the weather. I have an LL Bean jacket that is in 2 parts - one for rain and one for cold. When you put them together, the jacket is supposed to keep you warm in very cold temps......We had a choice of 3 different cruise times. Last of Sept. first of Oct and the end of Oct. We chose the middle one because the price of the Sept. cruise was too high and I was afraid by mid-October it would be really cold..........

What about the leaves at this time of the year?

Barbara

Sounds like you'll be all right for clothes. Early October can still be nice in the afternoons. As for Fall colours, they may be started by then but it seems it happens later and later every year so can't make any promises. It all depends on when we start getting frost.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a tour company or operator for this Island. My DH and I love to use a private tour company to do our sightseeing with. This way I can reaaly get a feel of everything. Thanks if anyone can help

I just returned from a ten day trip to the Island. I go three or four times every summer. I think another nice activity is to visit Founder's Hall which is very close to the pier. Then go on one of the walking tours sponsored by Founder's Hall. I would then suggest going to Victoria Row ( part of Richmond Street...behind the Confederation Center) for lunch and a little shopping. I did this one day and really enjoyed it.

Can anyone suggest a tour company or operator for this Island. My DH and I love to use a private tour company to do our sightseeing with. This way I can reaaly get a feel of everything. Thanks if anyone can help

Kootz--e-mail me for some names if you still need some tour/taxi companies. :) texascruzinlady@yahoo.com

Cruzin Lady

Not sure when in October you are planning on coming but it can get below freezing at night. Days can be anywhere from warm enough for a light sweater to cold enough for a fleece jacket and gloves. It's not the norm but it's also not unheard of to get a snow flurry or two in late October.

To be honest, coming from Florida, you could have picked a better time of year to come North :p Bring your woolies!

Here's our Tourism page with about all the info you need for visiting PEI http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3

I will be there on August 31st. Our ship will be there rom 8 A.M. till 3 P.M.

What is the typical weather like that time of year? Thank you in advance for your response.

We too were thinking of the Ultimate Anne Experience, and in fact have booked it, but may reconsider it in favor of the Island Drive. It may even give us the time to later walk around a bit near the pier. I understand that there are lots of shops there.

Annieeee

I will be there on August 31st. Our ship will be there rom 8 A.M. till 3 P.M.

What is the typical weather like that time of year? Thank you in advance for your response.

We too were thinking of the Ultimate Anne Experience, and in fact have booked it, but may reconsider it in favor of the Island Drive. It may even give us the time to later walk around a bit near the pier. I understand that there are lots of shops there.

Annieeee

Well there's a saying here that says Summer is over when Old Home Week is over.

"Old Home Week" is the Charlottetown carnival and Provincial Exhibition, it ends August 16th this year. Generally it runs pretty true, weather tends to get cooler after mid August. However, I have found in the last few years our warm weather has been extending into September. Having said all that, on August 31 you may have a hot day, running anywhere in the 70s but evenings can get quite chilly, requiring a jacket.

Yes, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and things to do within walking distance of the pier, no lack of places to spend your money here, and please do :D

Colleen,

Being there around Oct. 9th, what would you say the temp range might be? I am planning on layering, but it would help if I know an approx. temp range. Thanks.....

Barbara

We'll be in Charlottetown on Oct. 12th. I'm pretty sure the clothes I'm taking on my Alaska cruise (lots of layers, hat, gloves) will come in handy in Canada in October.

Colleen,

Being there around Oct. 9th, what would you say the temp range might be? I am planning on layering, but it would help if I know an approx. temp range. Thanks.....

Barbara

Mean maximum and minimum temps for PEI in Fahrenheit

JULY - 74 - 58

AUGUST - 73- 57

SEPTEMBER - 64 - 50

OCTOBER - 54 - 41

NOVEMBER - 43 - 32

These are not the highest and lowest but the middle of the highest and lowest temps. It can be much hotter and colder, for instance, we are supposed to have a high of 86 F today. The low temperatures are usually at night so makes it cooler for sleeping.

And in October we have our highest average rainfall of any month so bring an umbrella!

Weather - http://www.gov.pe.ca/weather/annual.php3

Thanks Colleen, that helps

My jacket I am bringing is waterproof on the outside and has a zip in-out lining for colder weather. I will also have an umbrella because when we cruise you have to be able to go in the rain on your excursion because it is the only day you have............

Barbara

Thanks Colleen, that helps

My jacket I am bringing is waterproof on the outside and has a zip in-out lining for colder weather. I will also have an umbrella because when we cruise you have to be able to go in the rain on your excursion because it is the only day you have............

Barbara

You're quite right, though I tend to bring a hooded rainjacket for touring, find it too distracting having to handle an umbrella, or I've left too many behind to bother investing in another LOL. Also, many times the rain is accompanied by a strong wind, making an umbrella useless.

Archived