C.C.P.I.C.S. - Class 05 - Point of View

pierces

Welcome to:

C.C.P.I.C.S.

Cruise Critics Photo Instruction and Creativity Series

(No direct sponsorship by Cruise Critic or any employee therof.)

This is an independent effort by the regular posting community on the Photo Discussion board to provide instruction to new photographers just getting their feet wet and inspiration to experienced shutterbugs.

The original discussion thread is here if you want to take a look:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=778546

Class 1: Introduce Yourself is still active, so feel free to post there too!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007

Class 2: Rule of Thirds is still active as well!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007

Class 3: Low-light Photography too!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824433

Class 4: Using Filters is still kicking!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=835827

Class 5 - Point of View

Welcome back to our seasoned participants and welcome to any who are just joining!

This class is going to be less techincal and more fun. Point of view has little to do with equipment and more with how you see things.

Since I included three small slide-shows me to illustrate the concept, I again posted the class introduction on my PPTPhoto.com site, so follow the link below and let's have fun!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Pierces......I am so thankful that I read some of your posts BEFORE my cruise. I think I got some of my BEST cruise pictures ever! This is a great subject!

Brockton Point Lighthouse.............Vancouver Canada

232323232%7Ffp43279%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C2%3B7765nu0mrj

I like this one, but it could have been moved a bit to hit the rule of 3rds. I can still crop it if I decide to......

232323232%7Ffp43283%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C2%3B7769nu0mrj

Ehhhhhhh, needs a little work to meet the horizonal rule thirds. I could crop this one too................

232323232%7Ffp43287%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C2%3B855%3Anu0mrj

Same lighthouse, but it does nothing for me at ALL...... This one was actually taken from the ship leaving Vancouver.

232323232%7Ffp43282%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C2%3B8557nu0mrj

Now this one speaks to me..........I just love it. I may be wrong, but I think it is all about the perspective..................

Dave,

Once again, thank you for your work. Great article, great pictures, and nice challenge!!

Too bad this wasn't up on Saturday when my wife made one of her great apple pies. :D

Soon as I finish a work project, I will be out photographing apples (or maybe oranges) and Washington, DC supplies lots and lots of interesting perspectives.

Dashed-out to do the #2 part of the assignment. So ... a couple of perspectives of a couple of buildings downtown:

ccpics5-b1a.jpg

These glass buildings have no character, but they do offer opportunities for interesting perspectives ...

ccpics5-b1b.jpg

Being one of the "unwashed P&Sers" I had to sit-out the filters lesson ... so I took the liberty of hitting this with a little saturation to jazz-up the sky.

The following building also does not have a lot of character (so I omitted the elevation view), but there are a few interesting details ...

ccpics5-b2b.jpg

ccpics5-b2c.jpg

No, this is not a pathologist's view of a polyp from a colonoscopy ... it, instead, is the red granite from the building facia.

The apples will have to wait since they are not my favorite and none can be found in the refrigerator. I may look for a substitute ... perhaps a polyp?

Pierces......I am so thankful that I read some of your posts BEFORE my cruise. I think I got some of my BEST cruise pictures ever! This is a great subject!

Brockton Point Lighthouse.............Vancouver Canada

232323232%7Ffp43287%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C2%3B855%3Anu0mrj

Same lighthouse, but it does nothing for me at ALL...... This one was actually taken from the ship leaving Vancouver.

...I just love it. I may be wrong, but I think it is all about the perspective..................

There's a lot to be said about perspective ... I was enjoying your photos until I got to #3. The impression was that the lighthouse was a major structure until the scale, viewed with the cars behind, showed its actual size.

There's a lot to be said about perspective ... I was enjoying your photos until I got to #3. The impression was that the lighthouse was a major structure until the scale, viewed with the cars behind, showed its actual size.

That's what it's all about! :D

Depending on the point of view, you could make a tower or a door-stop out of it/

Good work on the building...even with the disturbing physiological reference.

barbevrn: Nice series on the light house, I'm glad you feel that this foum was a positive influence on your travel photography. Your kind comments make me, and certainly other contributors, feel like the time spent here is worthwhile.

Good work!

Dave

Ok, here is my playing with the “Point of View.”

http://www.pbase.com/roffee/perspective

When I put the apple shots together and chose the best, the pictures came to tell a story rather than present very different perspectives. But, that’s what the muse seemed to move me to do this time.

We live in a wooded area, and I have photographed the trees on our property many times. The “looking up” shots were a bit different. Lord of the Rings fans should let their imagination go on one photo.;)

I certainly welcome critiques.

Larry

I thought I would also join in the apple point of view. Similar to Larry's view, but this is my view. Once I got the idea I had to wait for everything to happen.

First one is just an Apple on the tree

apple1.jpg

Now several days later, it rained here in the Northwest (imagine that!)

I had to insert a stunt apple due to the original was to shielded from the rain

apple2.jpg

And now ready for the pie, or . . .

apple3.jpg

That's my point of view stuff

Feel free to comment

P.S. All apples used have been enjoyed!

Have Fun

Let’s try this again.

Some one, I bet some one from here, left a message in my Pbase gallery asking if one could get a shot like this:

apple4small.jpg

with a point and shoot camera. By all means yes!!

On those shots I was playing, first, to try to get the “waterfall effect” of the apples getting a wash. The images were very dull and boring. Here is an example.

badapple.jpg

I normally do not like to use a flash, but I flipped it up on the 30D and got lucky. There is even some reflected light from the stainless steel sink to give some better definition.

One could certainly do the same with a P&S. Just set it to “macro” or whatever the close up setting is for your camera, use the flash and click away.

BTW, Suzieb, I really like your apple images. They do speak of the Northwest.

I thought I would also join in the apple point of view. Similar to Larry's view, but this is my view. Once I got the idea I had to wait for everything to happen.

First one is just an Apple on the tree

apple1.jpg

Now several days later, it rained here in the Northwest (imagine that!)

I had to insert a stunt apple due to the original was to shielded from the rain

apple2.jpg

And now ready for the pie, or . . .

apple3.jpg

That's my point of view stuff

Feel free to comment

P.S. All apples used have been enjoyed!

Have Fun

Nice shots.... I once got a tip, don't wait for the rain, create it yourself, pour water on your subject as needed. I like how you added " all apples used have been enjoyed" it reminded me of the statement " no animals have been harmed in this production" hahaha

again nice job!!!

Let’s try this again.

Some one, I bet some one from here, left a message in my Pbase gallery asking if one could get a shot like this:

apple4small.jpg

with a point and shoot camera. By all means yes!!

On those shots I was playing, first, to try to get the “waterfall effect” of the apples getting a wash. The images were very dull and boring. Here is an example.

badapple.jpg

I normally do not like to use a flash, but I flipped it up on the 30D and got lucky. There is even some reflected light from the stainless steel sink to give some better definition.

One could certainly do the same with a P&S. Just set it to “macro” or whatever the close up setting is for your camera, use the flash and click away.

BTW, Suzieb, I really like your apple images. They do speak of the Northwest.

I looked at all of your shots via the link you posted, my favorite is the ' washing" sequence. Very interesting how something so mundane as an apple can have so may different interpertations. Nice work!!!!

Larry, Yes I think that Apples are part of the Northwest along with the rain, this time of the year! I enjoyed your shots of cleaning the apples, and I really like the washing part and how you caught the water splashing.

And Cruisingbooboo we did think of using something besides rain, but it was only 2 days away from the first shot and I thought I would wait for the real stuff.

Thanks for the comments so far

Enjoy

DSC_0042-1.jpg

I'm having a terrible time with Photobucket tonight...editing to rotate the shots, and it looks like it saves it, but it doesn't. Only way i can get the edit to stick is to create a copy - not replace the original. What a pain!!

Okay...back to the assignment...:o

DSC_0041-1.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Darn it. I had resized these smaller, but only saved a copy on the first one. Sorry for the large images!

happysinglemom,

The last picture of Mr. Neptune is classic. Very nice perspective.

Thanks, I wish I could have avoided the tent top in the lower left corner, but on this particular day, there were vendors up and down the boardwalk for the annual "Neptune Festival".

Here are my efforts with the apple. And yes, the tree shot is definitely (and obviously!) faked!! :o

apple001.jpg

apple005.jpg

apple008.jpg

Dave,

Again, THANKS for all your help!

I decided to go with assignment #2....I went to a local park that was once a farm and took shots of a piece of ancient farm machinery...

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005_edited-1.JPG

DSC_0015_edited-1.jpg

Just my attempt to modify the perpsective/point od view...

Bill

Archived