Economy's affect on Cruising?

CruisinAsh

So yesterday was not a good day in the USA, with the stock marketing falling. I am wondering how all this economic gloom is going to affect cruising. Are people not going to take cruise vacations anymore? What about these mega ships that all the cruise lines are coming out with...how are they going to fill them?

I want to know if you guys are fearful of the economy taking down the cruising industry. Even though there are deals for $25 per day on ships, I feel that even with that kind of saving, people will be scared to spend anything on luxury items - vacations.

Folks who have disposable income will still take vacations, whether it's cruising or something else. For those who are feeling a "pinch", now isn't the time to spend money that isn't really there!

We need to throw out every bum in Congress--term limits would prevent alot of this from happening in the future! We elected these folks to watch out for US, yet it's their own special interests that they spend OUR money and their time on....very frustrating!

The way things look, the economic situation may become a benefit for those first time cruisers or those who couldn't afford to go very often (I'm in the latter category). With prices hovering close to or below $100 on some sailings around this time, people who reside in popular embarkation ports can live on a cruise ship for the next few weeks ;-)

Happily, that we have nothing booked at the moment.

When we cruise, we sell a little, or a lot of stock, and as of this moment it is a bad time to sell.

The reason for not making at least one booking is that my wife in going in for back surgery, which has side lined us this year.

The concluion is that our medical problems have saved us some money, and we do not feel so bad now having missed a cruise or two, but, we will not book again until the market improves.

john

I just started a thread on RCCL forum regarding this topic.

Our cruise keeps dropping. Since Aug 23rd has dropped from 1209 to 859 today.

With booking promotion and saving certificates we are saving 950.00 total.

This is for the Mariner Inaugural 2-22-09 E1 cabin.

I was asking the same question.

Is RCCL experiencing alot of cancellations?

Is it just my cruise?

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else considered in light of the current market conditions, stockpiling some RC or Carnival stock in order to take advantage of the OBC offered? When I looked into this earlier in the summer RCL was around $30 a share and now about $16. Thinking for the cost of a cruise I could get a $100 per cruise credit. Is there any talk of this benefit going away?

As a Brazilian, I'm very experienced in financial crisis! Nowadays, my country has had a good improvement in its finances - thank God -despite of the world recession. So, if an (still) underdeveloped country like Brazil is capable of surpass its crisis, why couldn't the USA and its citizens do the same? Of course everybody has to be more economical, but, the show must go on! We (here and there) have to try to live as usual as possible, in order to make money circulate until better days come. And they will come, certainly. Maybe some of us have to avoid extra expenditures but in the end, all of us will survive and go on hundreds of cruises!!!! Meanwhile, we can try to go on one, at least...

We did get a price drop on our cabin about $340.00 per person and this past Monday and went in and made final payment so it was out of the way. Now I just have to save spending money and wait until March 7th when we fly to Fort Lauderdale.

Christine

Well I'm getting broke anyways and thank god I have Roth IRA and other investments, and adding money to my travel fund for special occassions such as cruising. I also invest in stocks and mutual funds however, my financial advisor ends up calling me to switch mutual fund companies lately. I've lost thousands of dollars in the stock market and not happy right now to boot. So, dog gone it I'm goin to enjoy my trip and blow some of my future retirement money. I haven't recovered on my stocks as of yet(making me mad just thinking of it) so I might as well enjoy and take my family! Economy will recover but at least I'll enjoy spending my hard earned money on my VACATION!

Well I'm getting broke anyways and thank god I have Roth IRA and other investments, and adding money to my travel fund for special occassions such as cruising. I also invest in stocks and mutual funds however, my financial advisor ends up calling me to switch mutual fund companies lately. I've lost thousands of dollars in the stock market and not happy right now to boot. So, dog gone it I'm goin to enjoy my trip and blow some of my future retirement money. I haven't recovered on my stocks as of yet(making me mad just thinking of it) so I might as well enjoy and take my family! Economy will recover but at least I'll enjoy spending my hard earned money on my VACATION!

Our daughter started college right before 9-11. My hubby had cut back on what he was contributing to his 401K in order to meet her college expenses. Like everyone else, his 401K dropped big time after 9-11 and for once he was happy that he had cut back his contribution. It was that much less money he had lost.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you as of right now stocks are only a piece of paper. As long as you don't have to sell now we just keep on moving forward. We work hard every day to enjoy that vacation cruise. Whats the saying " You can't take it with you!".

I hope things get better for those who struggle everyday.

Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

Archived