Message in a bottle

londonandlawson

Can a bottle in the sea be worse than a mega cruise ship wasting 1000's of gallons of fuel for no other reason that fun? Not to even mention the coral reef that was destroyed in Cozumel(where I'm going on my first cruise next month) to make deep water ports.

Needless to say, I think a message in a bottle is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Just be careful because most cruise lines forbid anything being thrown from the ship.

Interestingly enough, there was a recent article about a bottle that was found on shore and returned to it's owner 35 years later! The guy, who was a boy when he sent it out to sea, dropped it off his cruise ship in the 70's with his name and address on the message and it just got washed ashore this year! Here's the link to the article if you wanna check it out.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=56612489.blog&csp=34

-Cheers,

meldam

If I were doing it, I would pick a bottle that was unique and interesting for someone else to pick up if they saw it. Maybe throw a few dollars in there or something else valuable and interesting to "pay" the finder to try to find you. Finally, put something in there that rattles around when the bottle is shaken. Some loose change, perhaps, if it fits in the bottleneck. If I found a bottle that sounded like there was some coin in there when I shook it, I would probably open it up and check it out. Seal it up tight. Ask yourself how you would be found 30 years from now. I personally wouldn't rely on the email address I am using now as my sole means of contact. Good luck. Might try it myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....I did it.

I wasn't going to do it, then I won a free bottle of champagne so I thought...what the heck. Here's where it's floating around right now, just off of the northern coast of Cuba.

n70840212417315487568uy1.jpg

I'll promise you this. If it's EVER found...even years from now, I'll reply to this thread and let you all know. I hope others do the same because I'd love to track the progress of other folk's messages.

Archived