Lion Cubs In Cabo

ranquet91

I was visiting the virtual tourist forums and came upon this thread relating to the Lion Cubs at Gordo's Taco's. It seems that these little fella's are being drugged so they can be handled and three cubs have already died from mistreatment. Just wanted to pass this information on... If your an animal lover like myself I would avoid it at all costs....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k1542821-Gordo_Lele_s_and_the_lion_cub-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

The Lion Cubs have absolutely nothing to do with Gordo Lele's Taco stand. They are not even in the same part of town. Javier (aka: The 5th Beatle) is the owner of Gordo Lele's and is much beloved by the fanatic "regulars" of the Cabo forum over at TripAdvisors. Javier had recently lost his normal place of business (really, just a crack in the sidewalk) because of a dispute with the new monsignor (sp?) of a local church. Said crack in the sidewalk belonged to the church and the new monsignor wanted it back. The fanatics of the Cabo forum donated well over $1000 to help Javier establish a new location as well as help with car repairs and house issues. They did this because he is such a great, hardworking guy, and also happens to make the best Carne Asada tacos in all of Cabo (all while serenading you with great Beatles tunes). He is a talented singer as well as a great cook. Feel free to stop by his new location and enjoy some great food and music. This is one street vendor you can really trust.

It is true that the lion cub booth is a big scam to support the drug habits of the people who run it. The Humane Society has been trying to get them closed for awhile now with no luck. They kill the babys when they get too big to handle. Please do not support them! They are located on the marina in front of the Tesoro resort. You misunderstood that post. The poster was just saying that they wanted a taco AND to see the cubs, not that they were at the same place.

Darrell is correct about them having no affiliation at all with Gordo Leles. One correction though. We raised over $2500!!!! We just used the last of the money to purchase ceiling fans for his restaurant. His new place is much more than a taco stand. It is an actual building that has room for about 10 tables. Its a true little restaurant now! Try to stop by and support Javier in his new business and have a taste of the best tacos in Cabo for only $1.50 each!

The Lion Cubs have absolutely nothing to do with Gordo Lele's Taco stand. They are not even in the same part of town. Javier (aka: The 5th Beatle) is the owner of Gordo Lele's and is much beloved by the fanatic "regulars" of the Cabo forum over at TripAdvisors. Javier had recently lost his normal place of business (really, just a crack in the sidewalk) because of a dispute with the new monsignor (sp?) of a local church. Said crack in the sidewalk belonged to the church and the new monsignor wanted it back. The fanatics of the Cabo forum donated well over $1000 to help Javier establish a new location as well as help with car repairs and house issues. They did this because he is such a great, hardworking guy, and also happens to make the best Carne Asada tacos in all of Cabo (all while serenading you with great Beatles tunes). He is a talented singer as well as a great cook. Feel free to stop by his new location and enjoy some great food and music. This is one street vendor you can really trust.

I would love to stop by Victor's; can you give general written directions?

Thanks,

Kerry

The link that I posted to a map will give you a pretty good idea where it is. The map is currently centered on Gordo Lele's new place. Hover your mouse over the center of the map and it will light up Gordo Lele's. If you drag the map just a little to the left, you will see the marina walkway that all cruisers walk down. Pick your egress point to get out onto the main drag. When you see the intersection that has Giggling Marlin, Rips, Taco Loco, Cabo Wabo (in the back), just follow that side street a block & a half and you will find it on the right hand side.

Here is the link again.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8845698&lon=-109.9133715&z=19&l=0&m=a&v=2

wow...I was unaware of all this...although I would hope those spreading stuff like this

They kill the babys when they get too big to handle

is a big scam to support the drug habits of the people who run it

have their facts straight and this isnt some dramatic PETA related crap

No, it is not peta related! There have been many articles in the Gringo Gazette about these sick people. They have also sold several of the cubs to the highest bidder when they are finished with them. It is a big thing in Cabo with so many people trying to get them shut down but the animal cruelty laws just are not the same there. The animals are obviously drugged and they are in tiny cages in the hot sun.

We have talked to the people running it and get a different story as to what their organization is called and what it is about everytime we are there. They even go so far as to show you photos of their "animal preserve" and that is also a different story everytime we or anyone we know is there. The Cabo Humane Society is actively working on this everyday but are not getting very far.

You can tell when talking to someone if they are drunk or high. These people are always totally out of it. The police are even involved but there just isn't much anyone can do. They have changed locations many times because of the reporters and the protesters. They are now right on the walkway into town from the cruiseship tender pier hoping to get people who are not aware of the situation to give them money. Most of the regulars on tripadvisor, myself included will warn people what is going on and try to dissuade them.

wow...I was unaware of all this...although I would hope those spreading stuff like this

have their facts straight and this isnt some dramatic PETA related crap

And yes, I have my facts straight. Just curious, how much time a year you spend in Cabo and why would you doubt that I would lie?:confused:

We may get to beat you there this time. Although I know you were just there. We have a trip to DC to visit our Cabo timeshare friend/partner in April. We will be there for the tail end of the Cherry Blossom Festival. She owns the even years at Sunset Beach and we own the odd years as well. So we get to go to Cabo every year at half the price (ie, we only have to pay our maintenance fee every other year). We may have to shoot for May or June for Cabo this year. Don't really want the heat of July, Aug, Sept. The rest of the year gets a little busy for us.

With all of Javier's new menu items, we may have to go several times just to try them all. Darn!!!

And yes, I have my facts straight. Just curious, how much time a year you spend in Cabo and why would you doubt that I would lie

just seems a bit dramatic...too bad there hasnt been more about this around before, maybe it would discourage some from paying for this

• 2 weeks later...
No, it is not peta related! There have been many articles in the Gringo Gazette about these sick people. They have also sold several of the cubs to the highest bidder when they are finished with them. It is a big thing in Cabo with so many people trying to get them shut down but the animal cruelty laws just are not the same there. The animals are obviously drugged and they are in tiny cages in the hot sun.

We have talked to the people running it and get a different story as to what their organization is called and what it is about everytime we are there. They even go so far as to show you photos of their "animal preserve" and that is also a different story everytime we or anyone we know is there. The Cabo Humane Society is actively working on this everyday but are not getting very far.

You can tell when talking to someone if they are drunk or high. These people are always totally out of it. The police are even involved but there just isn't much anyone can do. They have changed locations many times because of the reporters and the protesters. They are now right on the walkway into town from the cruiseship tender pier hoping to get people who are not aware of the situation to give them money. Most of the regulars on tripadvisor, myself included will warn people what is going on and try to dissuade them.

After the first time I went to Cabo, I contacted the Humane Society of Cabo and PETA. PETA seemed unaware of the situation. The Cabo Humane Society told me that they know very little about the situation, and they are much too busy with the overpopulation of dogs to check into it.

I too felt that there was something wrong. They are not in cages. There is a pen (no cover-roof). Yes, they are out in the sun all day. The people who run the booth, seem to really love the animals. All three times that I was there, I was told the same thing about the refuge near Mexico City. A few months ago, they added that they were going to open another one near Cozumel. I am far from naive, but I am not 100% sure as to who is telling the truth. I saw the woman who runs the booth, when nobody was around, hugging and kissing the baby Lion.

The jury is still out.

Ellen

All three times that I was there, I was told the same thing about the refuge near Mexico City. A few months ago, they added that they were going to open another one near Cozumel.

The jury is still out.

Ellen

You raise an interesting point "a refuge near Mexico City" and a new one near Cozumal. Their fund raising is in Cabo? Maybe it is because Cabo is a tourist destination. OK, I can accept that. Here's the problem. I've been to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Todos Santos, Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Cancun, Cozumel, Ensenada, and even Tijuana. These are also popular tourist destinations and yet not one time have I ever seen or even heard of "fund raising" for an animal refuge. Not in person, not on this board, not on the TripAdvisor forums (CruiseCritic's parent company). It only seems to be at Cabo's marina boardwalk.

It is indeed an interesting conundrum.

I salute you in your support as a volunteer at an animal shelter. Curious as to how you resolve the issue of penning (a cage without a roof) a non-domesticated wild animal for public display. While this also happens at our public zoo's, the care, roaming space, and attention given to these animals far exceeds that which is given to an animal on the boardwalk of Cabo San Lucas.

We we asked, the refuge was in Santiago- they even showed us pictures of it. A month later our friends were told Mexico City- others were told just north of Cabo. These cubs are left in a tiny box in the hot weather all day! That in itself is inhumane. There have been protesters the last 2 trips we have been there. There are articles in the Gringo Gazette. The Humane Society is involved. Does anyone really think with all that, that the place could be legit?:(

You raise an interesting point "a refuge near Mexico City" and a new one near Cozumal. Their fund raising is in Cabo? Maybe it is because Cabo is a tourist destination. OK, I can accept that. Here's the problem. I've been to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Todos Santos, Acapulco, Manzanillo, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Cancun, Cozumel, Ensenada, and even Tijuana. These are also popular tourist destinations and yet not one time have I ever seen or even heard of "fund raising" for an animal refuge. Not in person, not on this board, not on the TripAdvisor forums (CruiseCritic's parent company). It only seems to be at Cabo's marina boardwalk.

It is indeed an interesting conundrum.

I salute you in your support as a volunteer at an animal shelter. Curious as to how you resolve the issue of penning (a cage without a roof) a non-domesticated wild animal for public display. While this also happens at our public zoo's, the care, roaming space, and attention given to these animals far exceeds that which is given to an animal on the boardwalk of Cabo San Lucas.

If you want the whole story, here it is. On my first trip to Cabo I felt as if there was something wrong, so upon return I contacted the Cabo humaine society. The emailed and said that they were aware of the situation, but they don't have the time since they have to concentrate on an overpopulation of dogs. I emailed them again. All they said is that Mexico has no laws that protect animals. They added that they don't know if this is a scam. I then emailed PETA. They said that they knew nothing about this situation. This was almost 2 years ago. Obviously since that time people have been questioning the situation just as I did. I guess they now know more.

As for the pens. I am the last person who would ever want to see any animal abused. Cats do sleep about 20 hrs a day. I know that the woman arrives about 11am everyday and leaves about 3pm. Yes, in the summer that must be awful for the animals. She, not the organization who is doing this, really does love animals. When there was nobody around, so she didn't have to put on a show to draw busines, I saw her hugging and kissing the lion. They have plenty of room to lie down and also walk around when in the pen. Obviously it is not an ideal situation..far from it. The second and third time I was there, the animals were lively, playful and didn't care to be held. They are fed milk...a good cat milk (Royal Canin). She always has a bottle there for the animals. I understand that this is not the way a wild animal should exist, but if this was a real preserve which it doesn't appear to be, it could raise money for the feeding, health care, and existance of animals as well as give the animals some attention at the same time. I did play with the animals when they were in the pen. They loved to play just like any domestic cat.

As I stated, I did want to know if this was legit or not. Nobody seened to know or care. I know I did the right thing!

Ellen

I know the woman who was there the last 2 times I was there, would not abuse the animal, but she is not the only involved. It sadens me to think of what could and may have happened to these beautiful animals.

Ellen

They were obviously drugged when we have seen them too, many times- it now makes me sick everytime we have to walk past it. The women there is involved with the scam, she is the one who is telling all the different stories about the "preserve" and showing the fake pictures. We have noticed as well as many others that we know that she appears to be on something herself everytime anyone has seen her- she is not right.

Also their hours vary. I have seen them much earlier than 11 and later than 3. If there is a cruise ship in and they think they can scam some more dollars from unsuspecting tourists, they are there.

Archived