accessible tours and vans in Hawaii

msraye

We are on the Princess round trip to Hawaii from L.A. Can you share any info about tours, rental cars etc in Honolulu, Kona, lahaina, Kauai, Hilo? any info will be appreciated. We really prefer not to book thru Princess because of cost and poor experiences in Alaska.

thanks so much for your help.

We took an Honolulu/Ensenada cruise on NCL a few years ago and went to Honolulu and Maui on a land vacation last summer. We prefer to go at our own pace and my husband can transfer to a car so we tend to rent cars. We travel with two wheelchairs: a power chair which my husband uses aboard ship and a manual one for on shore so most of my comments about accessibility refer to a manual chair. .

Hawaii is mostly about water, scenery and "hanging loose.". In general, it doesn't tend to be particularly accessible and the availability of information about accessibility is not easily available or kept up to date. However, the scenery is fabulous if you do not mind long drives.

The airport is the closest place to the pier to rent a car in Honolulu. Like most visitors there, we stayed in Waikiki. Waikiki is not particularly accessible and parking is awful. Last summer, we found that the sidewalks were better than on our last visit and there are more mini-mall like store set-up with elevators, but many restaurants are upstairs and not accessible. The Polynesian Culture Center is mostly accessible and their show is good, but it is a long drive from Honolulu if you are just there for the day. We also went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Their pineapple whip is great, but we were not impressed by the pineapple train.

Lahaina is a tender port. The town itself is filled with little stores. It is fairly easy to get around in a wheelchair, but some of the stores are too small to move the wheelchair around. The car rental agencies are about 15 minutes away, but they will pick you up. They closed before we got back, but we were able to drop the car off and take a taxi back. Many of the famous beaches are near to Lahaina, but not much else. You have to drive across the island to get to the road to Hana or the go to volcano. The road to Hana is beautiful and the volcano is interesting, although not as interesting as Volcano National Park in Hiloh however both are long drives on narrow, winding roads. On our last visit we also went to the Maui plantation which had an interesting tram tour about the crops grown there. We didn't get to the Ocean Center, but it is supposed to be interesting and accessible.

In Kuai we went to "the grand canyon of the west." (I do not remember the name.) We were lucky to be there on a clear day so the view was graet. We also drove to a waterfall and a water spout.

Kona is another tender port. Not much was open because we were there on Thanksgiving so my husband decided to stay aboard while I went ashore with my brother and sister-in-law. We walked around the town window shopping and then went snokeling for a while at a nearby beach. The beach was rocky and definitely not accessible, but the snorkeling was fabulous.

We rented a car again in Hilo. Several agencies provided shuttle service to/from the airport where the agencies were located. We drove to Volcano National Park which was one of the highlights of our trip. On the way back we stopped at the Moana Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. Nothing was being processed, but they have a display that was interesting. There also was a demonstration of how they make macadamia chocolates. They had lots of samples and good ice cream, but the macadamia nuts that were sold warm were outstanding.

When are you on the Island Princess? We go on the 11/5 trip.

Princess is no help in this area at all. We did the same trip on HAL and they were able to provide wheelchair lift bus trims in Hilo, Lahaina and Honolulu (although we only used the Hilo trip). Since Princess does not have a "special services" department, and you cannot get information on these trips from the shore excursion office that is accurate, we do not use them.

We have rented wheelchair accessible vans in Maui and Honolulu:

http://www.accessiblevanshawaii.com/

but this is not cheap. For one day in Honolulu, with delivery charges, taxes, etc. it cost $170. We still feel we got by reasonably at that though because there were four of us, and we drove all the way around the island. The same trip by the ship's tours would have been more $.

Virtually none of the "free" shopping shuttles, etc. have wheelchair accessible transport, even though this is a blatant violation of the ADA. There is poor enforcement in Hawaii. This includes the common ones like "Hilo Hattie's" which meet the ship in each port.

In Honolulu the Bus (city bus) is wheelchair accessible and is a pretty easy way to get from the cruise port to Waikiki or other places on the southwest shore. It is too slow to use for going to the east or north shore though. There is also a company in Honolulu that has a wheelchair accessible cab:

http://www.thecabhawaii.com/transportation.asp

Here is some additional information on transportation in Hawaii:

http://www.state.hi.us/health/dcab/resources/travelers_tips/tipstransportation.htm

We now pretty much just rent cars and take a slide board along for transfers. Alamo has worked well for us, and they don't require you to pay in advance, so you can easily cancel if you need to. Remember that both Lahaina and Kona are tender ports, so are always iffy in a wheelchair. The last time we were in Lahaina we drove the Hana road though, and had a great time driving up to Waimea Canyon on Kauai.

Thank you for your responses. It will surely help. Yes, we had some experience (not good) with Princess on our cruise to Alaska. You have had success with HAL. We had heard about horrid experiences. Maybe they wer elong ago? We leave on the Island Princess on 1/4/05. Checking out rentals now.

I'm just back from Hawaii.

Audrey (wheelchair getaways) now has a rental van on Kauai.

Polynesian Adventure Tours and Roberts both have accessible buses they use for their tours.

I *highly* recommend Sunshine helicopters -- they have a lift (to get into the helicopter) at their facilities in Hilo and Kahuli (Maui).

Oh yes, and I continue to get letters of complaint about Princess, for the reasons you and Splinter both mentioned. They don't seem to be improving at all -- in fact I'm getting more letters this year than last.

Candy

Queenie, I tried to book that Kauai van rental today for 11/13, and discovered that although they do advertise this as available on Kauai on their website, the service is not yet functioning and they were unable to tell me when it will be set up. They are taking "reservations" which is interesting considering they cannot tell you if it will be available on the date you will need it. I would recommend sticking to auto rentals until they get their act together.

Splinter:

When I said they just started I really meant they *just* started on Kauai. I believe their collateral info (advertising) beat the van there, and nobody really knows when the van will *arrive* (actually I don't think it's something the local franchise even has control of). I expect they will have it all sorted out in a few months. I know that doesn't help you *now*, but since it's the only accessible rental van on the island I thought i'd post it anyway so folks could look/plan for the future.

Candy

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from RT to Hawaii on the Island Princess.

In Hilo the shuttle from the pier into town is accessible, but will take only 1 wheelchair at a time. Speak to the host in the on-pier information center so you can get a spot. It is $3/person each way. This is all that we were able to get in Hilo. Although we had an Alamo car rental reservation, they screwed us over and had no cars. Some tours here are accessible, but Princess could not give us advance information on which ones, so we did not depend on them.

We used "The Cab" in Honolulu with no problems, but it is more expensive than The Bus. We did visit the Honolulu aquarium, which is very accessible, and walked along Waikiki, also visited the Royal Hawaiian which has a great view and lovely lobby area and gardens.

The Maui Ocean Center is also a nice aquarium with a lovely restaurant. It is completely accessible as well. We rented a car to get here.

Kauai is the only place where Alamo has a wheelchair accessible shuttle for their rental cars. You need to call them for it when you need it from the pier though.

As usual, in violation of the ADA, the shopping shuttles (Hilo Hattie's, KMart, Walmart, etc.) were inaccessible with no alternative transportation available. We were again told that "we don't go by the ADA here"....I am tempted to follow through with a DOJ complaint against Hilo Hattie's as someone needs a wake-up there!!!

The Hilo Hattie's shopping shuttle thing is very strange Splinter. I was there a week before you (on NCL's POA) and they did have accessible shuttles to Hilo Hatties (on request) and they even posted the number you need to call to request an accessible shuttle in the Freestyle (the daily paper/bulletin).

Candy

Well I got the scoop on Hilo Hattie's!! I couldn't figure out what the story was because I actually saw the accessible vans with my own eyes. In any case I just got off the phone with the VP in charge or PR and marketing for Hilo Hatties.

He confirmed that they do indeed offer accessible transportation to all of their stores. In fact he said they have a big commitment to access (and the stores I have been in are certainly very accessible) . All you have to do is call the local store and they will send out the accessible van (or if it's not available they hire a taxi).

I asked if this was exclusive to NCL (as NCL actually puts the Hilo Hattie's contact info and a blurb about "call for accessible transportation" along with the wheelchair symbol in their daily newsletter). He said this was not exclusive to NCL and that they offer this service to all cruise passengers (and hotel guests). He said they provide the same information to all the cruise lines. He also said he was going to give Princess a call to make sure they were aware of the accessible transportation, and how to call for it (so they could pass this information along to all passengers who inquire)

When I was in Hawaii I also did a spot check of Hilo Hatties employees at the pier. I asked them if they had accessible transportation and in all cases they whipped out their cell phones and said "I can call for it right now."

I know in a lot of the Hawaii ports that Roberts provides WalMart shuttles. I know they do have accessible buses (I have seen them and rode on them) but to be honest I never asked at the pier if they had an accessible shuttle. Could be same thing -- they have them but you have to know who to call/ask.

Candy

You should send your a complaint letter into Hilo Hattie HQ, Splinter. The really are serious about their commitment to access and they do want to weed out any folks who don't also take it seriously. It's pretty sad, becasue they really do have accessible vans, but apparently this one employee had an attitude about it all.

Candy

We have tried every avenue we can think of to rent an accessible van in Honolulu especially and simply run into a brick wall. We all really want to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Even the accessible van rental places will only rent by the week even tho their ads say they rent by the day. The PCC has an accessible shuttle but will only bring us back after the Island Princess has sailed and that would cost us $23 per person. It will cost over $200 to try the Cab. Does anyone have any ideas? We need to use the electric chair so that she can elevate when necessary. The manual chair is out for the long day for the PCC. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! Do you think using a travel agent for renting a van might help?

Absolutely no, to the travel agent question.

They won't help you if you don't book the cruise from them because (and who can blame them) the accessible van rentals do not pay commissions. And that is how they (travel agents) make their living. I mean, we all have to get paid, so who can blame them, right?

So what (accessible van rental) company are you contacting that has told you you cannot rent by the day? They have taxis there but the PCC is really out of the way, so it's not like they (taxis) are trying to take advantage of you. I cannot recall offhand, but does the bus go to PCC? Would take more time for sure and might not be back in time to sail?

What about spending an extra night in HNL. I mean for $200 you could find a place (much under that) and then use the PCC bus?

Candy

We are on a cruise ship and must adhere to the ship schedule so overnight is not a possibility. I would have been willing to pay a fee to the travelagent if they could help. Bt, I got wind of another company - Wheelers- who has agreed to rent for one day AND deliver and pick up the van at the pier--now, if they just follow thru!!

Accessible vans is the company in Honolulu that wouldn't rent for one day. Not sure of the others. More than one of our party have been trying to find vans.

It takes 3 hours on The Bus to get to the PCC, and 3 hours to return. I would not depend on this for getting back in time for a cruise ship departure. $200 for a cab there sounds about right. Have you checked with the cruise line's tours to the PCC to see if they can arrange an accessible bus for their tours there?

There are lots of other fun things to do right in Honolulu (including good luaus) that are accessible unless you are absolutely set on going to the PCC. We really enjoyed the aquarium and just strolling along Waikiki Beach for example (had a drink at the Royal Hawaiian terrance too). You can take either The Bus or The Cab to most of these fairly inexpensively.

We have rented accessible vans for the day twice in Honolulu (last was in 2000), and as I remember we used Accessible Vans both times. Total cost was about $160, but since there were 4 of us, it still was cheaper than tours, and we went where we wanted (drove all the way around the island and stopped when we wanted to). Their website still lists 1 day rentals, so I am puzzled about not being about to book with them. Were they all out of vans? Did you also try Wheelchair Getaways?

yes, AVA has received consistently bad reviews from our readers in the past few years. Mostly for "customer service" issues.

Wheelers is fairly new, but give them a try and do call wheelchair getaways (my top choice).

And I also have to kind of echo what Splinter said, IMHO the PCC isn't really that great and there are a whole lot of other fun things you could do in HNL (cheaper). Don't forget the Kodak hula show -- it's free and in HNL. I liked the Royal Hawaiian too!!

Candy

Well, we have the van for Honolulu. She really really wants to do the Cultural Center and now we can!!Now just need something for Kauai, maui and hawaii.

Unfortunately, Princess has been unable or unwilling to identify if ANY of their tours are wheelchair accessible and our experience in Alaska was POOR.

Well it's not you, it's Princess. They don't want to identify their tours as accessible (or not) because (cough, cough) they aren't (accessible).

If you want to see Hawaii on a Princess ship, rent an accessible van on the other islands. Wheelchair Getaways would be my top choice.

Candy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been corresponding with Wheelchair Getaways about renting a van for a day on our next cruise when we stop at Kauai. Not only did it take me 8 e-mail messages to finally get information about rental prices and delivery arrangements, but I was informed that the following charges apply:

1 day ramped mini-van rental: $120

Delivery to the pier charge: $125

Pick up from the pier charge: $125

So the grand total for one day, not counting gas, would be $370!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I inquired about taking a cab to pick the van up myself and was informed that they do not provide this option. No discussion. I told them they have lost my business, both for Kauai and anyplace else where they operate.

This is outrageous! I guess we will just stay aboard the ship in Kauai this trip since there are no accessible tours, there is not much to do close to the ship, and it is VERY difficult to transfer my mother into a car anymore. With this kind of price gouging, I wonder how they plan to stay in business.

What about delivery/pick up to/from the airport? Do they still charge *extra* for that? Seems like that (airport) is (should be) the standard place they deliver -- after all that's where you pick up rental cars. The airport is pretty close to Nawiliwili.

The Kauai CIL has an accessible van, but when I last checked (6-7 months ago) they did not have a driver. You might want to check with them to see if they have found a driver yet and can do day tours.

Polynesian Adventure Tours has lift equipped buses, but if you are not sailing with NCL you are out of luck (they purchased the company late last year).

Robert's of Hawaii also had some accessible buses running on their tours.

Candy

If they rented cars and charged this only for adapted vans, it would be a clear ADA violation. As this is a specialty item from a specialty company, I am sure they are not technically in violation of the ADA, but certainly are morally in violation of screwing people with disabilities for their own profit. Hawaii in general is an ADA black hole in my experience. I have had more than one person in Hawaii tell me that "the ADA does not apply here" like they are not even a state....last I checked, they became a state in 1959!!!!

There is no option to pick up the van at the airport (this is where you pick up rental cars there).

Have not found any tour companies in either Hilo or Kauai that will deal with us directly...only through the cruise line, and as we know, Princess is both unresponsive to questions about accessibility of their tours and no help at all to their customers in finding accessible tours. At least in Honolulu we can take the city bus and there is an wheelchair accessible cab company. Prices for accessible van rentals there have more than doubled since we last rented there in 2000, while car rental rates have only gone up 10-15%.

After 30 minutes on hold yesterday, I got to speak to someone at Princess about Hawaii shore excursions.

After first assuring me that ALL TOURS were accessible, I asked if that meant they provided lift equipped vans/buses for all tours. She said that is not what "accessible" meant to them. I explained that for most wheelchair users that "just climbing one or two steps into a van" was a long forgotten dream, and that they needed to provide better information. I asked her how we would indicate on our excursion reservations on-line that we had such as need, and if the accessible spots on these buses/vans were already booked and she admitted there was no way to do this.

She did make a notation on our booking information for the cruise that we would need wheelchair lift vans/buses for all excursions, and she assured us that this would be consulted by the excursion booking agents when processing any on-line excursion reservations.

So we are going to try with Princess excursions again this next trip (for Hilo and Kauai only). We will also have a back-up plan for both ports. Hope springs eternal (am I too optimistic??). Anyway, will report back on this later.

I checked out the Frommer's Hawaii 2005 guide book from our public library. On page 58...this is a quote"Travelers with disabilities are made to feel very welcome in Hawaii." (Easy for Frommer to say, I guess!) Here are the web sites they mention in this book: Hawaii Center for Independent Living (www.hcil.org)

Access Aloha Travel(www.accessalohatravel.com), Flying Wheels Travel (www.flyingwheelstravel.com), Access-Able Travel Source (www.access-able.com), Accessible Journeys (www.disabilitytravel.com),

MossRehab (www.mossresourcenet.org)

SATH (www.sath.org) American Foundation for the Blind (www.afb.org)

iCan(www.icanonline.net) Emerging Horizons (emerginghorizons.com). Hopefully, if everyone helps each other there WILL be a way for equal opportunity in travel:) . Bon Voyage!

)

Archived