Old San Juan Trolley

crsshiplover

If you are docking at #4 (the carnival pier in OSJ) walk over by the tourist info both -- turn left out of the pier. There will be little bus stop signs. Hop on. It's that easy. Fair warning, the streets are soooo conjested that you can often walk faster than the trolley. lol

No Trolley, per se, just 3 or 4 little green, closed air buses that circumnavigate the 10-square block section that makes up Old San Juan. As the previous poster said, better off to walk and take in the sights and sounds along the way.

I wouldn't mind doing the walking, but I don't think my parents and their friends (70ish and knee surgery) will be walking too far. Thanks for the info on how to pick it up. I'm not too excited about San Juan but thought this would at least get them off the ship for awhile.

I just used the trolley last week. Look for a bus sign "Parada". Where we docked on NOS, it was across the street and to the left in front of a hotel. The trolley took us to City Hall and we walked to El Morro from there.

I just used the trolley last week. Look for a bus sign "Parada". Where we docked on NOS, it was across the street and to the left in front of a hotel. The trolley took us to City Hall and we walked to El Morro from there.
FYI, parada means "stop" in Spanish. The green sign is for the Old San Juan trolley, and it has a picture of the trolley. You will also see signs (I think blue) that have a picture of a bus. That is for the city's bus network. I didn't see many full-size buses running around Old San Juan, they tend to turn around after the bus station which is near the WesternBank building as you come off the pier. The trolleys, on the other hand, only run in Old San Juan from what we could tell. We stayed overnight in Condado and there was a trolley stop there, but when we tried to board the guy told us he wasn't going to Old San Juan so I have no idea what that route was for!

Thanks etoile, I was wondering what "parada" meant. I think you are right about the color of the sign being green, but the one we were directed to didn't have a picture of a trolley on it. I wish it would have because several of us from the ship were hoping that we were in the right place and we were!!!!

... The trolley took us to City Hall and we walked to El Morro from there...

The Trolleys have 2 separate routes. One of them takes you past Fort San Cristobal, the one at the entrance to the Old City (you can get off there if you wish) and then it keeps going along the ocean and drops you off right in front of the entrance to El Morro. This is the easiest way to go if you have problems walking. Then the walk back is easier because it's downhill.

Ask the driver if the particular trolley you are boarding will go by El Morro.

I believe it's written on the sign in front of the trolley.

My "Que Pasa" magazine says "Those wanting a less strenuous outing may prefer to hop aboard one of the complimentary trolley cars departing continuously from "La Puntilla" and "Covadonga" Parking lots."

Round trip journey takes approx. 30 mins.

Last year, we boarded it on the side street next to the bus terminal that is across the street from the piers.

Archived