Pro/cons on snorkel vests purchased

DH an I went to a dive shop this weekend to buy our snorkel equipment. We got our masks, snorkels, and fins,extra straps, anti-fog drops, cleaners, but the guy said he doesn't recommend the vests they had there. So we still need our vests. I'm probably going to order them online. In less there are more then two different styles, I noticed a vest, (that you put both arms through) or (what I call) a bib style, that goes over the head. Which do you suggest? I'm not sure which style to purchase for us. Did you buy yours and which style did you buy? Are you happy with your purchase?

I'm not sure why you want vests. The times I've been forced to wear them I've found all of them to be either restrictive or cumbersome. If you are swimmers you don't need them, salt water and fins make you more buoyant. If you are not swimmers, both the cruise ship, and private charters would have something available to keep you safely afloat. Go without and you won't have to pack, dry, or store them.

I prefer snorkeling with a vest. Have had times where I got tired, or was pretty far off shore and I just felt safer. I am a swimmer, but not getting any younger. ;) I have a bib type and I feel much more secure in the vest. I don't find it cumbersome at all....you can inflate or deflate at will. Only you know how strong a swimmer you are and how comfortable you are swimming in deep water and/or far off shore. The adult vest shown here is what I have. http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=31

We had a ton of people recommend this vest:

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Comfort-Snorkel-Snorkeling-Jacket/dp/B000PKPSCK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1251931663&sr=8-5

This works great for us because depending on how long we have been snorkeling or where we are at (degree of roughness) you can go from no inflation to muy inflation. It also helps for underwater photography, helps you stay still while shooting. Also, I love to dive down and with this vest I can deflate it while snorkeling and dive down and then get back up and re inflate it later if necessary. I wouldn't be cheer leading if I did not really like this product. They are way more comfortable than the bib type and there are tons of great pockets for storing things.

Two tips, if you are tall get the XL size for a more comfortable fit. Also do not cut off the vest straps after you adjust them, because the adjustment you need will depend on the amount of inflation you are using.

Thanks you all for replying. I'm not a good swimmer by all means, in fact I'm scared to death of the water. I can't even drive over a bridge in a car without my hands getting clammy, shortness of breath, and feeling like someone is sitting on my chest. Last year (don't ask me why), but I tried snorkeling. As long as I was able to start off from the shore I was okay. Except when DH thought I got swept to sea, and every emergency personnel was looking for me:o. But I loved it, as long as I had that vest on I felt as though nothing could harm me. So we went and bought the snorkel stuff, except the vest. And I have my eye on an underwater camera. Sure hope the cameras go down in price soon, so I can order that too!

Thank you for the links. I'm going to check them out right now.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been snorkeling for years. However, I will be taking a vest w/me on the cruise. I'm not sure what type of conditions, currents we will have when we get there, so I wont be able to run home for it.

From what all that I have read, each place says the swimming is a good distance, so why not lay on your back and just paddle at your speed. Then you turn over and your off!!

Have fun

I have my own vest, and, in addition to the good tips that have already been mentioned, I would be sure to get one that has the felt-type backing. Those w/o it, which some snorkel operators use, have rough edges and they can rub uncomfortably on your skin in spots. My vest takes up very little space for packing, and I wouldn't travel w/o it.

Katie, haven't used that type vest, but if you put enough air in it, yes, it would keep you upright. My vest is the kind with the straps around the waist and one that goes along the back and under the legs to hook at the front of the vest, and if I put more than a couple of puffs of air in the vest, it is almost too buoyant. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AKNSVA.html

Has anyone used the scubapro cruiser vest? It looks really nice and comfortable. Any tips on how to do the sizing? Will this vest keep you upright if needed. I see it doesn't inflate at all around back of neck.

Katie, I also am looking for a review on this scubapro vest. leisurepro website has a bunch of reviews there but a CC user review would be very welcomed. I'm between sizes and would like to know if a little tight is better than a little loose. Any "cruiser" users out there? :confused:

highflying, I just ordered two vests for my husband and myself. I will let you know how they fit. I ordered mediums for both of us. He is thin, and I am not so thin! lol I do want it to fit tight, though, so opted for mediums. You have to ship it back yourself if it doesn't fit, but they will not charge shipping to replace the return.

Archived