Carnival Sensation

Pappy1

Hey tygercruiser - we'll be on the ship with you! Only 4 more days!!

I've only sailed on RCCL, so I am looking forward to Carnival. I've heard good things about Sensation - smaller than the other ships I've been on, but I sure am looking forward to it! We've got a thread going on the Roll Call boards - come join us! I'm traveling with three of my girlfriends for a girl's trip!

Katie

Judy, I don't think your post sounded "uppity" :( It did sound a bit frazzled, LOL... the specialty restaurants are on many of the newer ships... let us know what you decide!!!

LOL....that's me....in a constant state of "frazzledom"....LOL! Thanks, GoinCruisin, for the kindness.

We will be cruising the Sensation. Dear Hubby wants to try the smaller ship. Heck, I'll be happy as long as we are cruising and not home staring at the walls.

Judy, I hope you have a great time! I'm with ya, as long as I'm on a ship, I'm happy!!!!! I hope you and hubby have a great time! I will be experiencing one of the "Supper Clubs" on the Miracle for the first time next month, so I'm sure I will love that part of the experience as well...

I understand "frazzledom", LOL!!!!! :D Ain't it fun!!!! LOL!

frown.gif We just yesterday completed a cruise on the Sensation to Mexico, out of New Orleans. We've only cruised twice before, more recently on a Royal Carribean ship to Alaska.

It wasn't a totally bad cruise, but there were a number of annoyances that detracted.

The roving bar waiters kept bugging us to buy drinks even after we said we didn't want them yet. They seemed very similar to the guys who try to rent you a motorbike in Cozumel.

The seas were moderately rough (6 to 9 foot waves), and the shipped rolled a LOT. By the 2nd to last day, they had actually hung air-sickness bags by the elevators, and most people were complaining of sea-sickness. Nobody could walk down the hall without being shifted to one side or the other. (The Carnival brochure says that the ship's stabilizer fins prevent 80% of the rolling so you won't get seasick. Either they were not working, or if they were, I think the ship might have capsized without them, because it seems like 5 times the roll we were experiencing would have laid her on her side).

There weren't as many organized activities other than the one big show per day, (unless all you want to do is sit and drink. I contrast this with the RCL cruise, where the problem was trying to decide which activity we wanted to do at any time from several good choices). On the last day they had a scheduled ladies ping-pong tournament, and several people, including us showed up. But nobody from the cruise ship showed up to organize it.

My wife tried to cook some toast at the breakfast bar. All the toaster did was warm the bread (not toast it), even after running it through twice. She asked the cook and he said, "That is the way it is supposed to be." I went to the "24 hour" pizza bar, and nobody was there. I walked 5 feet over to a drink bartender at the same bar and asked if someone was available to serve the pizza. She said, "I don't know, I don't work there."

My wife likes tea. They had one type on board, Lipton. (RCL had dozens to select from). But since the water they used on Carnival had a funny taste, my wife begged off the tea completely. Lemonade and punch were so strong that everyone was cutting them about 50% with water to make them drinkable. I think the person who prepared it was mixing it to the wrong proportions.

Towels were good, dinner food was good. Lifeboat drill and other "people movement activities" were all done very well. Dinner service and room steward were very good. Entertainers were very energetic, but lessor quality than we experienced on RCL. There was a very nice champagne party on New Year's Eve.

Perhaps the most annoying thing occurred at the end of the cruise when we went to the debarkation orientation meeting. The cruise director was encouraging everyone to fill in the comments cards. (I think they get their raises based in-part on the ratings). The choices on the cards were "Exceeded Expectations", "Met Expectations," "Opportunity for Improvement," or "Not Applicable." Those seemed quite clear.

But the cruise director, Shawn Bussey, explained these differently to everyone at the session. She said, "This is what those really mean: Exceeds Expectations means that you liked the cruise. Met Expectations means that you had some problems with that category, and you should write those in the comments area. Opportunity for improvement means that it was a really bad experience and just about everything went wrong with that category." She was obviously trying to skew the ratings up, and I'm sure a lot of respondents did just what she said to do. Maybe they do that on all the Carnival cruises, and the cruise directors have to say that to defend their staff. But this seemed unethical to us and should be stopped as a practice.

There were some other problems, but I've written too much already. Lots of relatively little things (except the seasickness, which wasn't so little as two in our party threw up). But there were also a lot of things that you would not expect if they just had good employee training.

Terry

I was on the same sailing as tquinn and share different sentiments. Yes, they hung "barf bags" by the elevators just in case. Smart precaution on Carnival's part. No different than putting the Bonine on the counter as on other cruise lines. I never saw anyone get sick and we were out and about most of the time. I did see signs that someone got sick in our hallway one night but that could have been from eating or drinking too much! I am very prone to seasickness and did take dramamine on the last day as a precaution. Carnival does say that as the ship nears the delta the seas may get a little rough for a time. Actually we were expecting 15 foot waves! I'm home now and still swaying!! LOL

As far as things to do we found that we didn't have enough time to do it all. Sometimes we had to decide on one of two things going on at the same time. We did things like Latin Dancing, playing Win, Lose or Draw, high tea, touring the galley, playing fear factor, etc. We now need a vacation from the vacation.

Yes, the waiters did try to come by to see if you wanted to purchase a drink from time to time but if they didn't one might complain that they were being ignored or not attended to. I just said no or shook my head and they moved on. No big deal. I love Twinings tea so the Lipton was not the same. Heck, even at a fancy restaurant you may not get the brand you are used to. At high tea we had a large selection to choose from. I didn't think the ice tea or lemonade was strong. Ice would certainly remedy that situation.

I guess to each his own. A cruise is what you make of it. We have done the larger ships (Pride, Destiny and even other lines such as the RCCL Mariner and Navigator) as well. Each cruise is different - you need to have an open mind and not let the little things bother you. It's too bad that tquinn did not enjoy the Sensation. I thought it was a great experience for the time and money. Would do it again.

I never said we didn't enjoy it. I said that there were annoyances that detracted from the experience. Both my wife and I concluded that the Carnival Sensation cruise was noticeably inferior to our RCCL experience. Others might (and probably do) feel differently.

Terry

Just got off the Sensation this morning. Went on the five day cruise that stopped in Calica and Cozumel. Had a blast - there's so much to do and not enough time to do it all. The ship was sold out and it never felt crowded. The Fantasia Dining Room is beautiful. Staff were friendly and personable, ship very well maintained. New Year's Eve was a lot of fun - Carnival went all out. Let me know if you have specific questions.

I have read that the Sensation is easier to get around. Is that true? We were on the Victory in September and to get to the dining room, you had to go to deck 5 to cross over.

Also what did you do in Cozumel? We are not stopping at Calica but at Costa Maya (I think).

Thanks for any information!

Selucrey and CruiseMark, thanks for the picture links! Seeing the ship we'll be on makes it seem more real now! Kitty34 and leeleent, what a small world -we'll be on the same cruise! Have y'all cruised before? This is our first cruise.

Amanda:D

Thanks for all the great posts about the Sensation - I'll be sailing on Thursday and can't wait! Cross your fingers for smooth sailing and clear weather in Cozumel!

For those who just got off: were all the shows worth seeing in your opinion?

What was your favorite thing you ordered in the dining room?!

Thanks!

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach in the morning. $20 for the cab for five of us - beach, chairs, etc. free. Pay $5 if you want to use snorkle equipment, kayaks, blow up water toys, etc. There is a restaurant, hair braiding, massage station, etc. Did Playa del Sol a few years ago and liked this better. Get there early if you want a lounge chair in a good spot. Left a couple of hours later. Went back to ship for showers and lunch and then on to town for Carlos & Charlies - $10 cab fare.

We dined in the Fantasy dining room. It was typical carnival. Steak of some kind on the menu every night. Loved the prime rib! The menu is posted in the dining room exterior each day. The chocolate flourless cake was delicious!

You will have a blast.

Yes - we are flying out of Toronto early Thursday morning. We have never needed motion sickness medication but I am nervous! All those reports have me worried. I am afraid the bonine will have negative side effects. Maybe I will buy some seabands. This trip is a getaway from the kids for my husband and I. It seems from all the postings that you and your friends are all geared up to have a great time!

Just got off the Sensation this morning. Went on the five day cruise that stopped in Calica and Cozumel. Had a blast - there's so much to do and not enough time to do it all. The ship was sold out and it never felt crowded. The Fantasia Dining Room is beautiful. Staff were friendly and personable, ship very well maintained. New Year's Eve was a lot of fun - Carnival went all out. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Yes, did the ship constantly rock as another posted stated in a recent review?

Yes, did the ship constantly rock as another posted stated in a recent review?

I have had no problems either time on the Sensation... it was a little more rocky up and down the Mississippi, as I expected it would be... otherwise, no problems!!!

Archived