Which Celebrity boats were having propeller problems?

Ocruise

Hi all. We were thinking of booking the Constellation for Feb /2005. I know one or two Celebrity ships were having some type of propeller problems. Was the Constellation one of the ships? (I would not want to have any problems with our Feb. cruise)

Thanks!

Sorry to tell you this but I think ANY of the M class ships, Millenium, Infinity, Constellation, Summit all have this potential problem with the pods...My heart tells me that because any ship has a potential to have a mechanical failure you shouldn't be detered from booking anyway. However this problem with these ships doesn't seem to want to go away...the manufacturer of these pods is being sued for their inability to corrct the problem and for loss of revenue.

Sorry to bring you bad news...

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

Danno, can you please expand on the propeller problems - were cruises cancelled, were the ships noisy because of this, how often did the problems occur, etc.

We are debating between Constelation and Hal Rotterdam for Canada/New England cruise but were leaning towards the Constellation to give Celebrity one more try. Realize any ship, any line can run into a problem or situation, however we do not want to book a ship if it's known to have serious problems that the cruiseline has been unable to resolve.

Thank you.

I think you'll see some folks reply to this topic who were effected by this problem... many of them have become quite well versed on this concern. I think I'll leave it up to them to help you. To much of what I can offer is hearsay.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

Infinity just got out of Drydock for bearing replacement on one of the Mermaid Pods. From what I have read on these boards, everyone loved their cruises in spite of the pod problems. Seems it makes the ship run slower when the problem pops up. I'm booked on Infinity for Jan. 2005, Valpariso to BA around the Horn. I'm still going no matter what, just make sure you buy insurance.

Cheers,

Dan

From what I have seen on the board, only three or four cruises were cancelled and pod problems resulted in missed itineraries on less than a dozen cruises total.

Compensation for missed cruises has been generally a refund of the person's money and a voucher for a free cruise. Missed ports generally result in shipboard credit and free drinks.

Have I summed it up everyone?

Hi OCruise...

The m-class ships are beautiful ships and have great food and service. However, they have had problems with the pod systems, and some people have had their cruise canceled and some, like me had their cruise stopped and were put off in a foreign port.

People were never in any danger that I know of, but had many inconveniences. If your cruise was canceled, most people were well taken care of with a new booking and a free cruise, but there is the inconvenience of having to rebook.

On our cruise, we were on a 14-day Panama Canal cruise, and on the 9th day(I believe) we were told of the pod systems and put off the ship in Acapulco the next day. While Celebrity tried to take good care of everyone,it turned into a nightmare for some. Many had a great time at the Acapulco Princess for the last three days, and many went through a tough time of grueling all-night travel and three days of long lines and carrying luggage on and off buses, etc. This has been talked about often, so I won't go into it.

I am only saying this to let you know that if you have elderly persons with you or anyone has back, neck, shoulder problems,trouble walking etc., and something like this comes up, it could be very hard for the people in your party.

On the other hand the chances of this happening to you are very low. But it could. So you should be informed.

In our case we were supposed to get a 25% coupon for the next cruise, but it had to be taken within the next year. We booked our next cruise within a year, but were unable to go till next December, so we asked if they would extend the coupon and they said no.

Those are the breaks, I guess. I am a very forgiving person, and I love the onboard experience of Celebrity, so we are giving them another try. We have booked the same ship, the Infinity, for next December. This time, I know of the risks... so, should everyone, I think.

I am only saying this, not to whine or complain, but to inform.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise with whatever ship you decide to take!

Shari

Carnivale--4/79

Cunard Princess--4/84

Norway--1/86

Holiday--4/87

Zenith--Inaugural-4/92

Constitution--2/93

Infinity--1/19/03

Shari2...

We were booked on a back to back to Hawaii after "your" breakdown... We call ourselves the Infinity orphans... We received 2 free cruises on the Summit instead plus a refund.. We are booked on Infinity Dec 05 Hawaii... with luck it will be cancelled and get another free cruise... As long as I'm on a Celebrity ship I'm happy.. Would not want to travel on my own to any port... purchase the whole package from Celebrity and let them worry about the pods.

<hr><font color=red><big>C 2 C</big>

</font><font color=black>A Mare Usque Ad Mare.</font>

While all the Millennium ships have the pods, my understanding was that Constellation wasn't having pod problems. It was built after the first two had experienced problems and was suppose to have design improvements to make the pods more reliable.

I've been reading this site since I started researching for our South Carribbean cruise about a year ago. In that time I don't recall seeing anything about Constellation cruises being cancelled or disrupted due to the pods I don't read it as frequently since we finished our cruise in December but a cancellation usually causes a lot of posts so I think I would have noticed.

We really enjoyed our cruise on the Constellation.

Ocruise,

We just got off the Infinity on the 28th of March and had a great cruise even tho we missed one port and the speed of the ship was about 6-7 knots slower than normal. The Constellation has had no pod problems and is the only one of the 3 that haven't. Were on it last July on their Baltic cruise and loved it. I would go far it, but anything could happen to other ships which have now happen to one of NCL ships with a pod problem. Good luck.

Don

Hi CtoC:

That is wonderful that you received two free cruises. I know that many did, and I truly am very happy for everyone who did. However, it wasn't the same for everyone.

When we finally got to San Diego, we ran into a couple who had heard us talking about the cruise we were just on, and they asked us about it and said that they were on the next one after us. They were never informed of the cancelation, and they had flown all the way to San Diego from quite a distance. When they talked to the Celebrity rep that was at the hotel, they were angrily told that they were supposed to have been told by their travel agent, but they called their agent and he/she said that they were never informed of the cancelation. So things were very different for many people. I hope that they did eventually get taken care of.

This time we are booking our air with Celebrity. We will be on your cruise. Hope you aren't superstitious. hehe icon_biggrin.gif

Shari

Carnivale--4/79

Cunard Princess--4/84

Norway--1/86

Holiday--4/87

Zenith--Inaugural-4/92

Constitution--2/93

Infinity--1/19/03

We too were on the Infinity with Shari2. Not a pleasant end to a great cruise. The Infinity seems to have gone against the grain of the Summit and Mille being trouble free for a while and indeed she just finished another repair of it's mermaid pod system. Celebrity has since our cruise stoppage issued a statement which is in their press releases advising all, that should a cruise be cancelled because of a pod problem you will get a full refund and a FREE cruise. Which is a lot more than we got back then.

Book your cruise as you normally would and think of it as a bit of a lottery. Take care with booking air, I would suggest cruise air & you will sail eventually likely when you wish and it could even be free if you don't. But I personally think they are getting a handle on it. It was a pretty bold statment to make even before the lawsuit has been settled with the pod manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

Even though the design of all M class ships is the same, it seems to me that the Infinity has had more itinery changes and cancellations that the other M class ships.

We were on the Infinity just prior to her going into drydock and there was no abnormal vibration or noise because of this, just slower speeds.

Our itinerary was changed including ending up in a different port than scheduled, creating a nightmare for those of us who booked their own flights.

All and all, the pod problems would not stop me from booking any of the affected ships again.

We love Celebrity

Astrid

Mercury Nov 15, 2004

Galaxy April 2, 2005

HAL: Volendam 2003

NCL: Star Nov 2002

RCCL: Vision, Legend, Viking Serenade, 1995,1996,1998,2001

Celebrity: Century, Mercury, Infinity, 1997,1999,2000,2002

Disney Magic 2001

Renaissance R3 2000

• 3 months later...

We're booked on the Constellation and I sure hope we don't get hit with pod problems. When the azipods work properly they really are amazing. We sailed on RCL's Navigator of the Seas which uses them as well, and it was glassy smooth in all conditions. There were no noticable vibrations anywhere on the ship.

We are involved with a delayed trip with the Summit, now scheduled for Sep 20th (11 days instead of 14 days). The compensation package doesn’t even come close to being as good as those that have had their trips cancelled (money back and a free future cruise – nice deal!). We are offered five hundred dollars ship’s credit per cabin (supposedly to make up for the three days and three ports lost) regardless of how much you paid for the cruise. 25% off a cruise fare in 2005. To help pay for the charges to change our airfare we will be given $100 shipboard credit for each air ticket. The only problem here is that the price per ticket on the flight we originally scheduled has increased from $155 to $433. We have to eat the difference. There are others who have booked a Priceline hotel for the day or two before. They either lose that money or spend more to stay an extra three days waiting for the ship to arrive (if they can find reasonable accommodations). I guess I could go on and on with this. And I will.

The following is a short excerpt from a report on the mermaid pod problems:

The Millennium-class Infinity and Summit are each equipped with two Rolls-Royce Mermaid pod propulsion systems. Two large bearings, approximately 2-1/2 feet in diameter, carry the propeller shaft in each pod. The bearings are apparently failing under thrust loading.

Problems started with the M class ships right after they were launched and it appears they have continued. Celebrity should have scheduled dry-docking for inspection and maintenance of this known problem but, because it was not, passengers must bear the cost of the change of their plans which could be considerable for many. An act of god I can understand. Failure to do preventive maintenance I can't

Read my cruise review when this is all over and I’ll let you know if I would schedule a cruise on an “M” class ship or even Celebrity again.

I've been on the Constellation twice and we're going again in February. I do know that the Infinity seems to have had the most problems, but the Summit is having ball bearing early wear problems now. I don't know if other lines have problems with their ships but Celebrity is now having some.

If you go on a cruise, you take a chance that there won't be a fire (Carnival) or a ship breakdown. That's what insurance is for. I always have insurance and, since I book my air separately, I will have insurance for that also. It seems that nothing is for sure anymore. I will adjust and try to be prepared for most unexpected events.

My suggestion is to go on the Constellation. It's a wonderful ship with a great staff. Enjoy your cruise.:o

We will be going on our third Constellation cruise in January. Constellation is the last of the M class ships and has not had the same propulsion system problems of her older sisters.

I hope that I am not giving her the "evil eye," but to my knowledge, Constellation has not had one cruise cancelled because of problems with the pods.

Scott

I know Millennium broke down in July 2003 and was in dry dock. They cancelled a 12 night Meditteranean. We got on the ship right after dry dock and it was wonderful.

Infinity broke down this March, 2004 and was in dry dock for a week. We were on her 2 weeks after she came out of dry dock. Everything was fine. Actually everything was fantastic.

Now it seems Summit needs to be fixed. I'm sure once she's out of dry dock she will be fine too. I do feel sorry for the people who have had their cruises cancelled or changed because of this problem.

Unfortunately there is only so much Celebrity can do. They didn't build these ships that's why they are suing the people that did. Each time Celebrity cancels a sailing it is costing them a ton of money. Not to mention the poor crew who loses all those tips they'd be getting.

Anne Maria

Well since getting cancelled on the summit and put off on the Infinity with Shari we have sailed again on the Infinity and it was a great cruise experience. I guess now with the "Free" cruise a permanent thing it's kind of like a lottery. The only real negatives are the uncertainty and being on the cruise just before and just after the needed dry dock.

Don't worry about the crew.... I spoke with several who went back with the Infinity to the east coast when the Infinity was cancelled and had to dry dock. They had the time of their lives. Kind of got treated like pax.

Hi BSeaBob!

I'm glad you had a great cruise on Infinity! Do you know if William is still bartending at the pool bar? I think he was from Columbia. We were hoping he would be there for our Dec. cruise. He's a really nice guy!

Archived