Surrendering Passport at Embarkation

ChubbyHubby

agabbymama, you were given bad information. I've done four Baltic cruises, three of which went to Russia, and it's actually the opposite of what you were told. Our passports were taken by Crystal/Silversea/Seabourn when we boarded the ship in Copenhagen and they were given back to us in St Petersburg because you are required to carry your passport off the ship and through Russian Immigration in the cruise terminal. When we were leaving St Petersburg, we had to return our passports to the purser and they locked them back up until we arrived at our disembarkation port which was Dover.

I can also confirm that we did not have our passports held on our Princess Baltics cruise (which went to St. Petersburg) a couple of years ago. My sister and BIL just got off the same cruise a week ago and they also reported that they held their own passports throughout the cruise.

It's a real shame for the other poster to miss the "crown jewel" of the Baltic cruise just because of some bad info.... :(

I have heard that if you hand the passport in you can ask for it to take ashore in some circumstances.

Im not 100 pcent clear on it but I met some passengers on a Princess cruise who asked for them as they were also worried of being left at a port without a passport. They were handed over and the passengers returned them to the pursers desk later on.

I have been on cruises where the ship had to get group Visas for a certain port/s and therefore they kept our passports.

Unfortunately a situation if folks are left behind which has happened alot over the years but the fact the ship had their passports in a locked up facility did not help them yet again you could say that not many people expect to be left behind either. A copy of your passport might get you through if someone is left behind and alot of folks carry a copy of their passports when travelling. At least its something to show the authorities. whether it helps or not is another matter.

Its a good topic I wonder if anyone on the forums knows exactly what the actual rules or protocols are regarding this.

Though alot of the answers seem to be answering the question quite thoroughly.

thanks

I have heard that if you hand the passport in you can ask for it to take ashore in some circumstances.

Im not 100 pcent clear on it but I met some passengers on a Princess cruise who asked for them as they were also worried of being left at a port without a passport. They were handed over and the passengers returned them to the pursers desk later on.

Usually you can do that.... the cruise lines do not encourage the practice as it would cause a nightmare at each port to have 1000's lined up to retrieve their passports:eek:

Unfortunately a situation well documented are the two couples who were left behind in error at a private Island the details were sketchy but the fact the ship had their passports in a locked up facility did not help them yet again you could say that not many people expect to be left behind anywhere.

thanks

usually if you are not accounted for when the ship is ready to sail they will give your passports to the cruise agent at that port.

unfortunately people never take the name and contact details for the agent with them when they go ashore or even read the newsletter the night before that gives you the info

usually if you are not accounted for when the ship is ready to sail they will give your passports to the cruise agent at that port.

unfortunately people never take the name and contact details for the agent with them when they go ashore or even read the newsletter the night before that gives you the info

thats a good point thanks and you are right about the line up for passports also it would be a problem for the cruise line wouldnt it !!

Archived