SS- The Fate of the steam after SOLAS 2010?

bahrain_not_dubai!

Today I was wondering about what is happening to the few steamers left in the world. I also was wondering how many steamers where indeed left in the world today- before SOLAS 2010 retires nearly all the remainder.

I have manged to find the following:

Ocean going stemears still in passenger service (which I could find) as of 2009:

SS Ivory. To be retired after SOLAS 2010

SS Atlantic Star Last ocean going steamer ever built, not affected by SOLAS 2010

SS Salamis Glory Expecting retirment in 2010 not sure though.

Non cruise traffic ships.

SS Oceanic Set to go into the next decade. The most bueatiful ship out there says I!

SS Dolous Great ship. Retires 2010. When I spent a day aboard her in 2006 they stated that they had tried desparatly to get the ship four more years, so she can retire in 2014, when she is a 100. Anyone have any idea if that plan worked?

Is that it? Is that all thats left from the once mighty steam fleet? After 2010 will only the SS Atlantic Star and fingers crossed the SS Oceanic ] still be in service? How many vessels have I missed? Its mind boggling to think that with luck only two ships will still be in service next year. If thats the case im definitly planning a voyage on the Atlantic Star!

______

Just found out the SS Atlantic Star is set for the ship breakers... I thought at only 22 years old she might have a future but it seems like it was not to be :-(.

That just leaves the SS Oceanic.

I had booked a cruise on the SS Oceanic to be able to cruise her before her season was canceled. It seems my chacnes of every saying I have beeen on a great steamer have become rock bottom. Also found out the Dolous is a Motor Vessel and not a Steam Ship. Ahhhh :(

SOLAS will have many unintended consequences. Many cruise companies are already starting to limit the number of people who travel on a ship who use wheel chairs and scooters as each such passenger must be assigned a crew member who is supposed to assist in an emergency.

Ships sailing out of Florida ports often have dozens and dozens of passengers who use wheel chairs and scooters. The language 'we resever the right to limit the number of wheel chair and scooter uses' is already appearing in Terms and Conditions of cruise documents.

If you want to travel on a ship that uses steam to generate power.....hurry!

• 3 years later...

Archived