Tamron 18-270 MM Lens for Canon Rebel XSi

CL-JW

We are looking at the Tamron 18-270 MM lens as an all-around lens to use when traveling. Typically we'd use it for outdoor use, but would also use it for occassional indoor shots too, but we do have a Canon 430 EXII flash.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with this lens? Thanks.

We are looking at the Tamron 18-270 MM lens as an all-around lens to use when traveling. Typically we'd use it for outdoor use, but would also use it for occassional indoor shots too, but we do have a Canon 430 EXII flash.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with this lens? Thanks.

For Canon mount you're choices are the Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon's own 18-200 and the Tamron. The Tamron offers the most range and for a superzoom the IQ is pretty good. The one thing the Tamron is known for is very slow low light focus and noise BIM. The stabilization is very good, best of all the stabilization I've seen. I can get good sharpness ( camera vibration not limiting ) at 1/30 even with 300mm on my 28-300 VC. The limiter for me with this lens is more focus speed or ability to even get focus at 200mm+, F6.3, 1/30, 6400 ISO :o

For allpurpose shooting I use a Tamron and find its focus speed and low light focus passable.

You should try it and buy it at a place that allows return/exchange. I've never had any problems with the 3 Tamrons I own but there is rampant posting on many photo web sites of sample quality issues. So its best you buy from somewhere you can return if you find you have a bad copy in the first few weeks. Bad, I mean unsymetrical focus/sharpnetss.

Good luck

I have the Tamron 18-270 for my Nikon D300. I had the Nikon 18-200VR. I broke the Nikon (sad story) and got the Tamron as a replacement. The reviews said the Tamron may be very slightly sharper in the 18-200 range than the Nikon. I figured the extra reach from 200 to 270 was just a bonus. I have been satisfied with the lens but the reviews are true. It can be slow to focus particularly at the long end and in low light. I find that I use the wider angles much more than the long zoom so that is seldom a problem. When I can't get a focus I just shift to manual focus and usually that works pretty well. Often I'm at infinity when shooting at 270mm so that is pretty easy. However, for example, zooming in for a close-up in a dark cathedral can be a problem.

As mentioned the zoom can be a little sluggish but usually it is pretty smooth. If you point the camera straight down the zoom will creep. There is a zoom lock that will hold it in place if you are walking with the camera slung over your shoulder.

We just got back from a river cruise in Portugal. I took the Tamron 18-270, Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 50mm 1.4 for low light. I used the Tamron 95% of the time. I got some pretty good outdoor night shots with it using a monopod and high ISO.

The lens is very versatile. A 15X zoom is going to have pluses and minuses but overall I think Tamron is a keeper.

For Canon mount you're choices are the Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon's own 18-200 and the Tamron. The Tamron offers the most range and for a superzoom the IQ is pretty good. The one thing the Tamron is known for is very slow low light focus and noise BIM. The stabilization is very good, best of all the stabilization I've seen. I can get good sharpness ( camera vibration not limiting ) at 1/30 even with 300mm on my 28-300 VC. The limiter for me with this lens is more focus speed or ability to even get focus at 200mm+, F6.3, 1/30, 6400 ISO :o

For allpurpose shooting I use a Tamron and find its focus speed and low light focus passable.

You should try it and buy it at a place that allows return/exchange. I've never had any problems with the 3 Tamrons I own but there is rampant posting on many photo web sites of sample quality issues. So its best you buy from somewhere you can return if you find you have a bad copy in the first few weeks. Bad, I mean unsymetrical focus/sharpnetss.

Good luck

Thank you - I will definitely be sure to buy it from a retailer with a return policy just to be safe. I've seen some sample photos from the Tamron and they looked good for the type of pictures I'd be taking.

I have the Tamron 18-270 for my Nikon D300. I had the Nikon 18-200VR. I broke the Nikon (sad story) and got the Tamron as a replacement. The reviews said the Tamron may be very slightly sharper in the 18-200 range than the Nikon. I figured the extra reach from 200 to 270 was just a bonus. I have been satisfied with the lens but the reviews are true. It can be slow to focus particularly at the long end and in low light. I find that I use the wider angles much more than the long zoom so that is seldom a problem. When I can't get a focus I just shift to manual focus and usually that works pretty well. Often I'm at infinity when shooting at 270mm so that is pretty easy. However, for example, zooming in for a close-up in a dark cathedral can be a problem.

As mentioned the zoom can be a little sluggish but usually it is pretty smooth. If you point the camera straight down the zoom will creep. There is a zoom lock that will hold it in place if you are walking with the camera slung over your shoulder.

We just got back from a river cruise in Portugal. I took the Tamron 18-270, Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 50mm 1.4 for low light. I used the Tamron 95% of the time. I got some pretty good outdoor night shots with it using a monopod and high ISO.

The lens is very versatile. A 15X zoom is going to have pluses and minuses but overall I think Tamron is a keeper.

Thank you for your insight - it is very helpful.

For the most part a lot of my travel pics are outdoor shots, with the exception of the photologues we do of the cruise ships we sail. For that, we have a Canon 10-22MM wide angle which we've been very pleased with.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the reviews we decided to get this lens. It arrived yesterday, so we haven't had any time to test it yet, except for some quick shots. I will say that we took some pics outside, in the dark, with no light (except external flash) and used manual focus and was very impressed with the pics.

We'll post later with our thoughts on the lens.

Archived