5 days before sailing-ncl invokes jones act on us

cruzfool

Hi talk about putting the cat amongst the pigeons as an aussie can I ask this?Can we go from Vancouver to Seward b2b(millie) stay one night in Vancouver,then Vancouver to L.A and then book to go onto Miami all on NCL Pearl,you see we are already booked from Van/Seward on Millie and booked from Van to L.A(cruisevouchers) but not the other legs which we plan to book next year.I,am I right in saying there is not a Amtrak train Sea/Vancouver but a bus which can take forever...

Having just driven Sea / Vancouver twice this week (including yesterday), it can't take forever...it's only a 2.5 hour drive. Just rent a car, and drop in SEattle.

Hi talk about putting the cat amongst the pigeons as an aussie can I ask this?Can we go from Vancouver to Seward b2b(millie) stay one night in Vancouver,then Vancouver to L.A and then book to go onto Miami all on NCL Pearl,you see we are already booked from Van/Seward on Millie and booked from Van to L.A(cruisevouchers) but not the other legs which we plan to book next year.I,am I right in saying there is not a Amtrak train Sea/Vancouver but a bus which can take forever...

its interesting and you should be able to. When the Pearl goes from La to Miami it stops at a distant foreign port(either in South America or the ABC island(Aruba Bonaire Curacao-considered part of South America) allowing for a beginning and end in different US ports. Also since Vancouver is a foreign port a trip from Vancouver to Miami is also allowed.

Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver. You are starting and ending in a foreign port, so no PVSA violation.

Vancouver to Los Angeles to Miami. 1) You are starting from a foreign port, so no PVSA violation. 2) The cruise from LA to Miami will include a distant foreign port (Cartagena I believe) which means the cruise from Los Angeles complies with the PVSA, so again no violation.

In short - yes, you can do the itinerary you listed.

To all who have contributed to this post- I say thank goodness for CC. I've been a member for years and have enjoyed every post you've given. I am not going to post what we've decided to do other than to say that we have hired a private guide in YVR who will pick us up and drop us off at 2 different locations :) In closing, suffice it to say that your contributions have been invaluable to me in making a decision.

Wouldn't only Americans have to comply with this law? :confused:

no the law applies to people being transported they can be citizens of anywhere. The ship can't transport people between two different US ports as beginning and final destination(with some exceptions) citizenship is irrelevant

no the law applies to people being transported they can be citizens of anywhere. The ship can't transport people between two different US ports as beginning and final destination(with some exceptions) citizenship is irrelevant

Thanks. I learn a lot from these boards. Nancy

NCL is only responsible and can only answer questions on ships or services that it offers.

Princess Cruiselines can only answer questions and be responsible for services and ships it operates.

Agree about the whole 2 seperate ship thing, but this is the business NCL and Princess are in. They SHOULD know all the answers, or know where to find them...it's what they do all day, every day. And the answers should be consistent, no matter who you call. How many posts have there been saying to "call back, you'll get a different answer"?

The OP is impacted after purchasing the 2 cruises; I absolutely think NCL should do something to correct the error as NCL was aware of the back to back bookings. The OP didn't do anything but book a couple of cruises and plane tickets...why should they have to go back to the drawing board to fix an error they did not [knowingly] create without some options from NCL [who should have disallowed the booking as they should know the rules].

Heck, without the CC experts, how would any of us know most of what we know about cruising, right? Some really great information here. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately this issue is not well understood, as evidenced by the responses on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001020

I think we are talking to deaf ears my friend. Since I will be on Spirit from Seattle to Vancouver, I'll find out what the final outcome will be. :eek:

We might be, but I doubt that the CBP will be.

Well, I'm certainly not one to say "I told you so" but................:rolleyes:

It's amazing all the posters that have posted with absolutely no clue.

It happened to me and it came right out of the blue. :eek:

I got a kick out of the poster that said if John Heald said it's OK then it must be OK. ;)

Archived