Passenger services act

aussie2324

Okay I am getting some conflicting reports. We are booked on the Carnival Spirit for 9/7/2010 Seattle to Glacier Bay to Vancouver. We want to do the next cruise 9/14/2010 on the Spirit Vancouver to Hawaii. I have been told that we can not do this because of some Passenger Services Act. Apparently Carnival say this can be done. But other individuals are saying we can not. DOES any-one out there know the answer. Normally the cruise is Vancouver-Glacier Bay-Vancouver. Then Vancouver - Hawaii. But new itinerary is Seattle-Glacier Bay- Vancouver then Vancouver - Hawaii. We are from Australia and were really looking forward to doing this cruise.

Please any-one help.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act says that any ship sailing a loop cruise from an American port (sailing from and returning to same port) must visit a foreign port. Any foreign country, and Canada qualifies. But any cruise between different American ports (Seattle and Hawaii) must visit a distant foreign port, and Canada does not qualify as a distant port. EM

Even though the first cruise technically ends in Vancouver. And the next starts in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii. We cannot do it. This is not a 19 day cruise but a 7 day then a 12 day.:confused:

You should double check it (not just ask one person at Carnival), because if you book it and it turns out to be not permitted under the PVSA, your booking will get cancelled. One option will be to book the Vancouver to Hawaii on that ship, but book the Alaskan cruise with a different cruiseline (which makes it permissable) or on another Carnival ship which gets into Vancouver more than a day before (if you stay overnight in Vancouver, that makes it all right too).

Hi.....I think you should be able to do it as the OP's have said. We're doing the Hawaii sailing this September 16th and it's almost sold out, so if you want to keep your same cabin, be advised, it's a popular sailing (esp since RCCL quit sailing on of their Radiance Class ships to Hawaii).......enjoy!

Okay I am getting some conflicting reports. We are booked on the Carnival Spirit for 9/7/2010 Seattle to Glacier Bay to Vancouver. We want to do the next cruise 9/14/2010 on the Spirit Vancouver to Hawaii. I have been told that we can not do this because of some Passenger Services Act. Apparently Carnival say this can be done. But other individuals are saying we can not. DOES any-one out there know the answer. Normally the cruise is Vancouver-Glacier Bay-Vancouver. Then Vancouver - Hawaii. But new itinerary is Seattle-Glacier Bay- Vancouver then Vancouver - Hawaii. We are from Australia and were really looking forward to doing this cruise.

Please any-one help.

These are two completely different cruises... one doesn't affect the other. Carnival is correct.

There is no problem with this.... The problem would be if the cruise to Hawaii started from Seattle.... The cruise to Hawaii begins in Vancouver which is a foreign port....

I believe where you are seeing a problem is on the first leg of your trip... Sea to GB to Van.... This would not fall under the closed loop cruise.... Being you are an Aussie you would not be affected.... US Citizens would be required to travel WITH Passports since the cruise is not returning to Seattle...

I don't know if this helps you understand any better but you should have no problem......

Joey

I'd be curious as to who these "other individuals" are who are telling you you cannot do it.

Under current regulations, these are legal itineraries, but there are lobbying efforts (primarily initiated by NCL America) to put an end to sailings such as the Vancouver-Hawaii and Ensenada-Hawaii routes.

The link below is from December 2007, so to date, nothing has happened that would change the legal status of the sailings.

http://www.cruiseco.com/Resources/cabotage%202008.htm

Technically speaking your combined itinerary is Seattle to Honolulu. You cannot do that, even with a "stop" in Vancouver, BC. If the ship were to leave on a different day, or if you were on two different cruise lines, then you would be allowed.

David

I do not believe you can book your trip as one long cruise. That would violate the PVSA. And Carnival would not let you do that. But 2 separate cruises, where the first one completely, "officially," disembarks in Vancouver. And a brand new cruise starts in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii is OK.

The PVSA forbids transportation between 2 US ports without a stop in a 'distant' foreign port. But your Hawaii leg does not start in a US port.

I feel like you do when it comes to extended family. I'll let them know I'm alive, post something or comment occasionally, but I dont' want to be overly involved in their lives. Nor do I want them overly involved in mine.

That's what this is. One cruise begins in Seattle and ends in Vancouver. The next cruise begins in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii. The OP is not changing ships. They'll get off the ship in Vancouver, then process for the cruise to Hawaii and get right back on the same ship.

I'm very interested in this thread, as we're planning to do the exact same trip next year. I tend to think that if Carnival said it's o.k., then you'll be fine.

Technically speaking your combined itinerary is Seattle to Honolulu. You cannot do that, even with a "stop" in Vancouver, BC. If the ship were to leave on a different day, or if you were on two different cruise lines, then you would be allowed.

David

A person can not book this as one cruise.... It is 2 different cruises... I.E. Sea to GB to Van is one cruise... The second cruise starts from Van to Hawaii.... Where's the problem????...

Just because the OP is on the same ship for both sailings it isn't the same as begining your sail in Sea and ending in Hawaii....

Carnival moved to Seattle to help those cruisers who for one reason or another do not have a passport.... They will still be able to do an Alaska cruise (inside Passage and back) without it.... Crossing into Canada to board a cruise ship requires a Passport or a Passcard....

Sounds as though someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.....:confused:

Joey

I do beleive it is a foreign port, not distant foreign port. Miami to Nassau is a prime example. The distance between the to is not far at all, so it wouldn 't qualify as a "distant, foreign" port, but yet there are many, many, many sailings from Miami to Bahamas weekly!!!!

:confused: Great. Somehow the quote I wanted to use got messed up in my post above. That quote has nothing to do with this thread. To make matters worse, I can't find how to edit it!

Not sure what happened. Please accept my apologies. I'll be more careful in the future!

Please any-one help.

You are in essence taking a cruise from Seattle to Honolulu on a foreign flagged ship without a stop at a distant foreign port. This is a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

Even though the first cruise technically ends in Vancouver. And the next starts in Vancouver and ends in Hawaii. We cannot do it. This is not a 19 day cruise but a 7 day then a 12 day.:confused:
You still have a foreign flagged ship transporting a passenger from one US city to another US city without a stop at a DISTANT foreign port. Even if this involved ten different cruises over a period of 75 days it would not be allow unless the ship stopped at a distant foreign port. There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America.

Yes, you can do it and Canada is a foreign port. Carnival got the answer correct.
Canada is a foreign port. However, to transport people between two US cities the ship must first stop at a DISTANT foreign port. There is no port in Canada that qualifies as a distant foreign port.

Archived