TV Show: Cruising Inc Big Money on the High Seas

heaps of small business / self employed / owner operated people work for a lot less money, similar hours and without the food and board included.

Whilst it's not ideal, alot of people are worse off. Good for the crew for getting themselves a higher paying job than at home, and working hard for the money they do earn.

Jeez..... Lots of high paying jobs don't require any sort of formal education.....and pay a heck of a lot more than a teacher. Auto mechanics' date=' plumbers, electricians and other "blue collar" service folks, many in the travel industry on every level, flight attendants, baggage handlers, those who work in auto plants, manufacturing plants, etc.

[/quote']

I am sorry but this makes me made. I am both an Industrail Journeyman Mechanic and an Electrical apprentice. I recieved a college degree when I got my Journeyman mechanics liscence. I am going back to college for my electrical liscence as well. It is REQUIRED in most states (not all) that you have to have a set number of college instruction hours to get your liscence. So for you to make a blanket statement about people like me not having a formal education isnt right. Yes as an aprentice I am attending college class's but I cant get my Journeyman liscence if I dont have the class's done. You make it sound like anyone can be an electrician or anyone can be a plumber or anyone can be a Mechanic. Without some sort of education (yes auto mechanics MUST goto school) and mechanical aptitude its not easy. Plus apprentice's dont normally make more than a teacher does unless they work 80+ hours/week or they already have a Journeyman trade like I do. Yes I will agree Journeyman make more than most teachers.

As for this show I thought it was very interesting and thought provoking. Made me think about what I should/shouldnt do on a ship or try to avoid. When the wages question came up I was thinking $1500/month but was pleasantly surprised when the guy said $2500/month.

I am sorry but this makes me made. I am both an Industrail Journeyman Mechanic and an Electrical apprentice. I recieved a college degree when I got my Journeyman mechanics liscence. I am going back to college for my electrical liscence as well. It is REQUIRED in most states (not all) that you have to have a set number of college instruction hours to get your liscence. So for you to make a blanket statement about people like me not having a formal education isnt right. Yes as an aprentice I am attending college class's but I cant get my Journeyman liscence if I dont have the class's done. You make it sound like anyone can be an electrician or anyone can be a plumber or anyone can be a Mechanic. Without some sort of education (yes auto mechanics MUST goto school) and mechanical aptitude its not easy. Plus apprentice's dont normally make more than a teacher does unless they work 80+ hours/week or they already have a Journeyman trade like I do. Yes I will agree Journeyman make more than most teachers.

As for this show I thought it was very interesting and thought provoking. Made me think about what I should/shouldnt do on a ship or try to avoid. When the wages question came up I was thinking $1500/month but was pleasantly surprised when the guy said $2500/month.

Great post! G'ma could not of picked any worse examples of blue collared workers.

To add to most apprenticeships and your 80hours/week schedule...I have a friend who's an electrical apprenticeship now and I don't know how does it. He works with an electrican 8am-5pm and goes to trade school 6pm-10pm monday-friday. While he lives close to the school, due to rush hour traffic, it can take up to 40 mins to get to school. That leaves him 20 mins to shower and eat something. He has to do his homework while traveling with the electrician. He says he has to stay with schedule for four years. Seems like college is easier route, lol

Great post! G'ma could not of picked any worse examples of blue collared workers.

To add to most apprenticeships and your 80hours/week schedule...I have a friend who's an electrical apprenticeship now and I don't know how does it. He works with an electrican 8am-5pm and goes to trade school 6pm-10pm monday-friday. While he lives close to the school, due to rush hour traffic, it can take up to 40 mins to get to school. That leaves him 20 mins to shower and eat something. He has to do his homework while traveling with the electrician. He says he has to stay with schedule for four years. Seems like college is easier route, lol

well I am working 56hrs/week right now which is the norm for me BUT, I only have 1 class/semester as most of the class's required for electrician I took during my mechanical apprenticeship. So for my electrical I only need 6 more class's and well since it takes 4 years to get my hours no point in doing more than 1 class/semester. However, like your friend, I work 6:30am-2:30pm M-F and since I am normally on 3rd shift I have to work 3rd shift on weekends which means I go in Friday night at 11pm work till 7am (thats my saturday) and do the same for sunday. Then Monday morning im back in at 6:30am. On Thursdays I have class from 6p-10p.

With that I also have 4 kids and a wife. Oh and thanks for the comment on my post :D.

I worked on board the Pride of Aloha and it is true most weeks we did 16 hour days 7 days a week. A lot of weeks I would show 110 hours a week on my paycheck. Anything over 40 was in fact overtime. So the pay was definitely good, but you got wore out quick. After a few months, you don't have much energy left.

Archived