Live From the Golden...YVR...LA...HI

ccrain

Ccrain, have been loving your live posts. Thank you very much for posting. Have never been to HI so really looking forward to this cruise next April and your posts have definitely upped the anticipation.

I believe you just moved from C753. Can you telll me what furniture was on the balcony. This willl be our first time having an aft balcony. Usually try to get Caribe balconies somewhere near the middle.

Thanks again,

I''m so depressed to hear this since it looks like we will be getting him on the Christmas cruise this year. Of course we will make the best of it, but I'm hoping he keeps Dave's schedule of activities in place. I'm also hoping that perhaps some of the supporting CD staff will be the same ones who worked with Dave so they can help maintain the Aloha spirit that he always brings.

One thing in your favor....Elua...(Dave and Leialoha) the poolside music are also the ones that teach ukelele and hula lessons, sarong tying, etc......and also quite good at the Hawaiian culture. Leialoha is from Hawaii and she is fantastic, and her husband Dave is great too. So you still will have some Hawaiian activities.

I have a half a page of notes on what is a MUST, who to call, who to talk to and what to eat :D. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your cruise to do this.

When you ask about David Cole would you be so kind as to ask about the Thanksgiving trip. After what ya'll said about him and then about Lee I have my fingers crossed it will be David.

I am very intrigued about the Survivor game. Huge fan here.

Can't wait for your next postings.

I was happy to see Ccrain made it into Kauai yesterday, it seems like that port is missed so often, looked like a beautiful day also.

Ccrain, you don't have to answer this rightaway, I don't want to use up your minutes, but out of curiosity, do you know what "scraps" and supplies they give you for the boat building competition? Also what are the rules? Thanks so much!!!

I will ask Dave when he is leaving. He's not scheduled to come back, but then I doubt they will leave HI to any other CD.

For the other one, I have to dig up my old patter.

Is the cruise ship lecturer.

Dave, the CD, is leaving in November, we think and he's not scheduled back until Jan 17th.

Ccrain, have been loving your live posts. Thank you very much for posting. Have never been to HI so really looking forward to this cruise next April and your posts have definitely upped the anticipation.

I believe you just moved from C753. Can you telll me what furniture was on the balcony. This willl be our first time having an aft balcony. Usually try to get Caribe balconies somewhere near the middle.

Thanks again,

We only had two chairs and a small coffee table in C753. They need to put the two lounge type chairs and the higher breakfast table on C753's balcony.

That's what we have now and its great.

I was happy to see Ccrain made it into Kauai yesterday, it seems like that port is missed so often, looked like a beautiful day also.

Ccrain, you don't have to answer this rightaway, I don't want to use up your minutes, but out of curiosity, do you know what "scraps" and supplies they give you for the boat building competition? Also what are the rules? Thanks so much!!!

It was one of those full days. I will ask around and see what I can dig up and we will try and watch the finals.

So

It gets even better...

So we go down to the Princess Theatre early and have a great discussion with Ben (Deputy CD), Martin and Alex (ACDs). For about 30 minutes we just talked about cruise critic, cruising, princess, HI, just a very nice conversation. The staff seems so much more relaxed in the past few days. I think getting off the Alaska itin and then getting the HI itin settled in has helped them get into a bit more of a groove.

And then WOW...

Ok folks, we've been to every Princess production on a lot of ships. BUT we've always sat about halfway up in the theatre. Vian recommended we sit front rows, center, and so for the past two shows we have. IT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. First of all, the performers can see you and they look directly at you while performing. It is a personal, direct connection, slightly uncomfortable at first, to me, but almost hypnotic. Secondly, you can see, and appreciate, the facial expressions they work so hard to project during the show. IT ENHANCES THE ENTIRE SHOW. Trust me.

YOU CANNOT MISS THIS SHOW FROM DOWN FRONT. DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW.

Do it as repayment to me. Get a seat rows 2-4 down front near center. You will not regret it.

Just catching up on the last couple days of your posts and I noticed this. First of all, thanks for all of the detailed postings.

I'm So Glad Ben has been promoted to Deputy CD! (Is that above assistant?) He was on our Hawaii cruise last Feb. and he is so energetic and adorable! I was ready to adopt him! Tell him the lady that gave him the hot fudge says hello! :D

I've also always watched the shows from up top but will try your suggestion next time. The only problem is sometimes I fall asleep (:o) and that would be awful if they could see me!

So we last left off on Oahu.

We did our 6 miles for the day, Its a nice walk along Ala Moana blvd, then Ala Moana park and beach. I bought Judy Sushi at Todai's, then we went to the Ala Moana shopping mall to pick up gifts for a bunch of people on board - Hilo Hattie's of course. Chocolate covered Macadamia nuts for Christiana, Vandolph and Mario, chocolate macadamia kisses for Olga, Maria, Inry and Luis.

Yes I gave permission for Judy to give kisses to Inry and Luis, but only if I got to give kisses to Maria and Olga.

Unfortunately, the walk sealed the fate of several blisters on both of our feet, so that would limit our dancing for the next few days.

Kuai'i, was completely different. From the dogleg entrance to the pier with a multi-million dollar ship to the gravel roads to the limestone, yes I said limestone, formation where the cave was, it was an interesting place to visit.

We got in the van to go to the cave hike and traveled to the cave site and hiked down the beach. We've been walking on lava rock for the last two days and was totally suprised to walk on a limestone formation. That was unexpected and weird. The cave was interesting, no real wow factor. I wouldn't recommend it simply because of the cost. It was a beautiful walk, a magnificent beach, interesting cave, but just not worth the price Princess was charging. Having now been to Kuai'i, the next time we will do something a bit different.

Yesterday was Maui. We did the waterfall and hike tour. Again, interesting but simply not worth the price Princess is charging. 1.5 hours in a van to hike 100 yards to a muddy waterfall. If they would have hiked us to the upper falls, about 1 mile, and let us swim there, that would have been much better. The water was still cloudy, recent heavy rains, but much clearer.

So basically, I recommend the volcano hikes in Hawaii, although they are very easy to do on your own. Rental cars are cheaper than excursions.

Diana and Keith went to Pearl for the VIP tour and loved it. (Diana is a blue star mother - her son is currently on a second tour in Iraq with the Marines.) So I would recommend the Pearl tours for Oahu, if you haven't been. Kuai'i and Maui I would recommend independent tours or rental cars. There are many, many beaches in both places, especially Kuai'i, that are completely accessible and actually very private. Listen to the port talks that Dave gives, they will give you the tips and tricks.

So dinners have been much more interesting. Mario has provided fried shrimp and calamari on one night and the seafood pasta on another. Right now I can't tell you what was on the main course. The last couple of days have been a blur of activity.

Last night was Chef's table. A very good presentation, food was excellent, the wines incredible. 49er and his wife was at our table. JP only seats 10 at Chef's table. We're used to 12. We like 10. Table is much less congested, much more open to conversation.

Apps in the kitchen included fau gras, cavier, crab magarita, spicy shrimp, all with accompanying champagne. A mushroom rissotto followed at the table a grey goose soaked lemon sorbet. Main course was veal chops and shanks followed by a camenbert cheese tartett, with a port wine reduction, and then dessert on a sugar plate.

The dinner was great. Comparing to the Grand in April would be like comparing apples to bananas - but here goes. The table of 10 was much better than a table of 12, the apps were very comparable as was the rissotto. The spicy bloody mary sorbet on the grand was a clear winner compared to the lemon, but the veal last night was simply stunning. The camenbert was just as good at the goat cheese tart and desserts were comparable.

The wine selection, one of the main reasons I like Chef's table, was stellar. JP sets a good table and Chef Norbert can really cook.

Basically a tie. This is our third chef's table and every one of them has given us our money's worth. Its highly, highly recommended.

Last night was also country western hoe down. Great night of wine, partying and dancing, but we also lost an hour so we did not get to bed until, technically, 130 am. Late for us old folks.

I am very glad that there is 5 days and nights left to dance and party after Hawaii. I wish we were in the ports longer and they were spread out more in time, but I know the logistics make this impossible and no, NCLA is not an option! Besides, PoA looks funny. That bulldog front is not one bit cute.

Suffice it to say we are having a blast. Good food, good entertainment, good company, no work.

PDG!

Just catching up on the last couple days of your posts and I noticed this. First of all, thanks for all of the detailed postings.

I'm So Glad Ben has been promoted to Deputy CD! (Is that above assistant?) He was on our Hawaii cruise last Feb. and he is so energetic and adorable! I was ready to adopt him! Tell him the lady that gave him the hot fudge says hello! :D

I've also always watched the shows from up top but will try your suggestion next time. The only problem is sometimes I fall asleep (:o) and that would be awful if they could see me!

Yes DCD is above Senior which is above ACD. But I think its a different Ben. This ben is australian and had never been to HI before. He got a pretty good sunburn on Kuai'i.

You won't fall asleep. Too much energy in Cinematastic. Tonight is Caliente.

Once again we can't do it all. Sometimes I hate this. We want to do the Marriage game show, want to see Caliente, want to do MUTS, want to get back to dancing...

Life's just tough all over...

LOL! Maybe try morning naps!

We went on that cruise to have eight relaxing days laying in the sun but found it to be the most activities we had ever done on a cruise!

Our Ben was from Toronto - so not the same. Wonder what happened to him? He definitely had leadership potential!

ccrain,

One of our Roll Call members on the 10/11 cruise was told by Princess that David Cole was leaving after our cruise on 10/25. Don't know when he will return.

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

That sucks!!!!!!!

Is this Lee character really going to be that much different? We're pretty active people like ccrain. Are we going to be bored for lack of activities planned?

I also heard that John Foster your Captain will be leaving and the Oct 11th cruise will have a different Captain...bummer....I loved Captain Foster. In fact, he perfprmed our 50th Anniversary vow renewal last year, and I was excited about getting to see him again. have you heard anthing about the new captain coming onboard?

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

That sucks!!!!!!!

Is this Lee character really going to be that much different? We're pretty active people like ccrain. Are we going to be bored for lack of activities planned?

That is disappointing and we have heard so many good comments about David Cole and how he really gets everyone in the Aloha spirit. We have had Lee Childers on 2 cruises and we just couldn't take him. Of course, this is only DH & My opinion, and a CD does not make or break the cruise for us. Stopped watching the Morning show after day 2. We would see him around the ship and the funny thing is that when you made eye contact, he looked away. No one wanted to stop and have a conversation, but the polite thing to do would be nod and say good evening. His staff wasn't much better, so here is hoping the CD staff on now will stay on.

We will still have a fabulous time and looking forward to the 25th.

CCrain

While following your “Live From” thread, I have been trying to keep track of the food themes each night. Some nights you mentioned were,

Day 1: Sail away Dinner

Day 2: Princess Dinner 1

Day 3:

Day 4: French Metropolitan

If you know some or all the other menu themes, that information would be very helpful in planning specialty restaurant schedules for my cruise. Thanks in advance!

That is disappointing and we have heard so many good comments about David Cole and how he really gets everyone in the Aloha spirit. We have had Lee Childers on 2 cruises and we just couldn't take him. Of course, this is only DH & My opinion, and a CD does not make or break the cruise for us. Stopped watching the Morning show after day 2. We would see him around the ship and the funny thing is that when you made eye contact, he looked away. No one wanted to stop and have a conversation, but the polite thing to do would be nod and say good evening. His staff wasn't much better, so here is hoping the CD staff on now will stay on.

I know huh?! At least you actually saw him around the ship, we NEVER saw him anywhere, no chatting with passengers, nothing. He was MIA during all shows etc. they had other staff introducing and I don't believe they were part of the CD staff, but were all okay. David Cole was the best we've ever had.

To GApeaches, I can't say the outlook is "great," like SFparrot said, we just couldn't take much of his attitude and self worth :rolleyes: for lack of a better term. I think if David draws out a schedule and Lee sticks to it, it should be fine, I think you'd stay plenty busy. If its up to Lee, who knows, you could get stuck hearing about how wonderful he is on his morning show, of course that's all self proclaimed. Lol.

I also heard that John Foster your Captain will be leaving and the Oct 11th cruise will have a different Captain...bummer....I loved Captain Foster. In fact, he perfprmed our 50th Anniversary vow renewal last year, and I was excited about getting to see him again. have you heard anthing about the new captain coming onboard?

It appears as posted on our roll call Paka.

David Calabrese will be the Captain.

As long as he can park the ship and hit all the ports (weather permitting) I guess he'll be fine.

Thanks for the info. The CD won't make or break the cruise for us either but one of the things we loved about sea days were all the activities going on. Never watched/heard the morning show before so nothing lost there thankgoodness. Sounds like the highlight of sea days will be Eula....and they are awesome so we have that going for us. :cool:

I know huh?! At least you actually saw him around the ship, we NEVER saw him anywhere, no chatting with passengers, nothing. He was MIA during all shows etc. they had other staff introducing and I don't believe they were part of the CD staff, but were all okay. David Cole was the best we've ever had.

To GApeaches, I can't say the outlook is "great," like SFparrot said, we just couldn't take much of his attitude and self worth :rolleyes: for lack of a better term. I think if David draws out a schedule and Lee sticks to it, it should be fine, I think you'd stay plenty busy. If its up to Lee, who knows, you could get stuck hearing about how wonderful he is on his morning show, of course that's all self proclaimed. Lol.

Ya'll are cracking me up. I'll probably try to look him in the eye and laugh when I see him.

Sigh. I'm so sorry to hear that David Cole will not be there on my 10/25 cruise. Is it possible to confirm this ccrain since you are still onboard? I thought you said he was leaving in November, but now someone else says he gets off on 10/25.

I really enjoyed his Aloha spirit, he helped turn me onto the ukulele and I was really looking forward to seeing him for a third time. :(

It appears as posted on our roll call Paka.

David Calabrese will be the Captain.

As long as he can park the ship and hit all the ports (weather permitting) I guess he'll be fine.

We have sailed with Captain Calabrese on two different cruises. In 2001, we went to Alaska on the Regal Princess and in 2007, Alaska for the second time on the Golden Princess. He navigated the ship to and from our destination both times safely and was very charming at the Captain's Circle cocktail party.

We have not experienced the CD so can't comment.

Aloha and have a great cruise!

Dot & Paul;):)

Archived