Atlantis land resorts

sej67

Which is better - Puerto Vallarta or Maya Riviera? Are the resorts and amenities pretty much the same? Which has better siteseeing nearby?

Actually, it is not a fair vote since I've only been to Atlantis's PV resort. But, I have been to Cancun - just not the Club Med there.

The PV resort is exactly as pictured in the Atlantis materials. The rooms are absolutely exquisite and the beach/pool area is superb. However, be warned that you're actually not in PV, but Nuevo Vallarta - about 30 minutes north of PV by taxi. And, through some quirk of geography, it's another "county" and a different time zone! :eek: But, everything at the Atlantis resort chooses to be on PV time, as I recall.

As usual, Atlantis provides many excursions for those who want more than the resort offers (para-sailing, hiking, bungy-jumping opportunities, etc.) and there's a water taxi about a 10-minute walk from the resort that goes directly into the heart of PV (about a 15 minute boat ride). I found that was perfect for a day-time lunch trip with guys I met at the resort. But, Cancun probably offers excursions to the interior where there are ancient Mayan (?) ruins that are fascinating. There might also be a scuba diving/snorkeling excursion to Cozumel, but I can't say for sure.

I had a blast on my PV Atlantis trip 2 years ago and would definitely repeat if I weren't already over-budget on upcoming Atlantis cruises.

And, BTW, on the Atlantis Tahiti cruise this spring, Rich said that there won't be a PV resort offering in '10. He's opting for another Club Med resort, but in the Dominican Republic (I think he said). It would, however, be the same time period - November. (Personally, I'd be worried about a hurricane spoiling my vacation plans, but it's not my call!)

I do have a buddy who's been to the Atlantis Cancun Club Med resort and liked it a lot. Although, he said the property was so expansive that it never seemed like a large group of guys was there.

Bottom Line: since this may be the last year for a while that Atlantis is in PV, I'd recommend you try it. It was great fun.

Good luck!

I've been to five Atlantis land resorts including Puerto Vallarta and Cancun, and without a doubt I would recommend PV over Cancun:

1. Puerto Vallarta attracts guys primarily from the west coast, who are much more fun and outgoing, while Cancun attracts a more reserved east coast crowd.

2. Puerto Vallarta is a real town, definitely Mexico's gay mecca. Cancun on the other hand is more mass market tourism, complete with endless breeders.

3. Puerto Vallarta has zip lines!

4. The seafood in PV is far better!

You're bound to have fun at any Atlantis event, and it is certain to be a quality event, but I'd go with PV.

I have not done an Atlantis resort in many years. Playa Blanca, one on the Sea of Cortez, Punta Cana in the Dominican republic, Blue bay in Costa Rica.

I am really interested in the Cancun facility and just may book it.

Gary...thanks for your insight.

I am concerned that unlike the cruises that have a diversified crowd, the current resort choices may attract only the young buffed party guys. The comment from Zipper makes me think Cancun is better for me over PV.

As a true cruise a haulic, I need a change...and I can water ski!!!!!!!!

As for cost...I just got an eye opener. I checked the price for a single the week after the Atlantis package.....for a single it was $650 more doing it on my own rather than through Atlantis.

So I think I might give this some serious thought.

Thanks for posting this thread.

I am concerned that unlike the cruises that have a diversified crowd, the current resort choices may attract only the young buffed party guys.

The guys at the PV resort (and I presume at Cancun, too) were very varied as to age, ethnicity and body type. There were several groups of guys traveling together (I think they repeat every year). And, I'd guess the ratio of singles/couples was 35/65 with an average age of 40.

Perhaps it was because of the time of year (Oct/Nov when younger guys who are in new careers/jobs have already expended their vacation for the year), but there were very few under age 30.

Try it, you'll like it, Tom. :cool:

You obviously have not spent much time with New York City's finest men......

I've been to five Atlantis land resorts including Puerto Vallarta and Cancun, and without a doubt I would recommend PV over Cancun:

1. Puerto Vallarta attracts guys primarily from the west coast, who are much more fun and outgoing, while Cancun attracts a more reserved east coast crowd.

2. Puerto Vallarta is a real town, definitely Mexico's gay mecca. Cancun on the other hand is more mass market tourism, complete with endless breeders.

3. Puerto Vallarta has zip lines!

4. The seafood in PV is far better!

You're bound to have fun at any Atlantis event, and it is certain to be a quality event, but I'd go with PV.

I'd have to fly up to NY, rent a car, drive out to Shelter Island and sit at the bar at the Rams Head Inn waiting for something fabulous to walk in.

As for Atlantis resort.....cant do PV this year...2 cruises scheduled. Now next year, its a toss up....Cancun, or a Bermuda cruise on either Veendam or Summit sailing May 30th.

Having sailed both ships...the front runner is Cancun. decisions decisions.:rolleyes:

I'd have to fly up to NY, rent a car, drive out to Shelter Island and sit at the bar at the Rams Head Inn waiting for something fabulous to walk in.

As for Atlantis resort.....cant do PV this year...2 cruises scheduled. Now next year, its a toss up....Cancun, or a Bermuda cruise on either Veendam or Summit sailing May 30th.

Having sailed both ships...the front runner is Cancun. decisions decisions.:rolleyes:

I don't know if its been sold yet but perhaps you can buy it & make your dreams come true....oh a few winery tours on the North Fork, the cold but short ferry ride to shelter island...the drive through the woods & then alas....Rams Head....if the men are as good as the restaurant was ....HEAVEN!!!!! Perhaps you can have your wedding there(if NY State ever moves & legalizes marriage for us)!!!

We too are looking at the Veendam & summit for next may.....we wrote off HAL after a cruise on teh NOORDAM a couple of years ago ...but I would like my partner tp experience teh St George cut & Hamilton ports via ship as I have over the years>>>>>

A few years ago one of teh Seabourne triplets made a stop in Greenport as one of their short cruises out of NYC.....like to see more of that....

The Veendan use to be my fav HAL ship...her refit leaves something to be desired. Her interior appears to have been improved...her exterior bastardized.

The Summit.....too big for Bermuda...and her dockspace in Bermuda...not desirable.

If I go, it will be the May 30th sailing......the 24th anniversary of the maiden voyage of the MV Homeric. It amazes me its been that long yet I can remember it like it was yesterday...I can still smell the fresh paint. Gee, that sounds like a line from a movie, that one about the ship hitting the iceberg:p

I will make the decision based on my upcoming sailing on her sibling...Ryndam in 4 weeks. I seem to be on the HAL kick lately, even though I feel the dining room service is poor.

Ciao for now.

The Veendan use to be my fav HAL ship...her refit leaves something to be desired. Her interior appears to have been improved...her exterior bastardized.

The Summit.....too big for Bermuda...and her dockspace in Bermuda...not desirable.

If I go, it will be the May 30th sailing......the 24th anniversary of the maiden voyage of the MV Homeric. It amazes me its been that long yet I can remember it like it was yesterday...I can still smell the fresh paint. Gee, that sounds like a line from a movie, that one about the ship hitting the iceberg:p

I will make the decision based on my upcoming sailing on her sibling...Ryndam in 4 weeks. I seem to be on the HAL kick lately, even though I feel the dining room service is poor.

Ciao for now.

RMS Olympic, I'd like to ask, Do you really like HAL as your cruise line of choice? I've been on 50+ cruises mostly with RCCL and am going on Princess Crown in November. (I need a change) Should I try HAL? What do they offer for a gay couple who likes to cruise?

We still have not booked yet for next may...too bad they ruined the Veendam...but it seems the way of Carnivore....HAL is nothing like it was in any shape form or matter....our cruise on Noordam was so bad we said we would never go back...

years ago the Oceanic & Rotterdam V anchored in Grassy Bay(the Homeric docked in front Street - I spent my 30th b-day on her - Faboo..)....I have recently read about the Dockyard & looks interesting - but does not compare to Front Street & St George....

the other thing is that Celebrity & NCL for some reason are spending an extra day at sea & cutting down on port time in Bermuda......

Pied Piper is doing the Summit which would be more fun than Veendam...but if don't fly we will most likely do Veendam...plus its only a 10 minute cab ride from our NYC home....

Ciao for now.

An interesting question...HAL

Its not the line it was before Carnival Corp took it over...but then neither is Princess.

HAL for me has a few good things going for it:

1. Less children

2. Smaller ships

3. Stern pools (I dont care for mid ship pools where you dont see the sea.

4. Cabins are nicely laid out

5.The Lido usually has better food than other comparable lines.

6. Indonesian bartenders are friendly and very polite.

Down side...the Dinning rooms. The service is substandard in my opinion. Ever since Carnival got involved, it seems as if the dinning room staff has been reduced way too much. No longer wine stewards, so waiters have to do both. I have found myself getting up and taking water from the service stations to refill glasses at the table. This has been done in view of head waiters and nothing seemed to bother them. The Indonesian staff is nice, but spread too thin and a bit too impersonal. I prefer European waiters who I can interact with more.

The big selling point for me right now is cost. As a single cruiser, the single surcharge is much less.....for the most part 150%.

Celebrity quotes 200%, as does RCCL and NCL. Princess is priced very similar to HAL, so they get my cruising dollars as well. I think Princess is extremely gay friendly, and I have always been treated well.

I actually prefer Princess over HAL, but the ships are way too big. I wish they had stayed with the Sun Class. Yet I am booked on the Crown PRINCESS on Dec 5th.....again cost.

The perdiem rates these days drive me crazy...my HAL 14 day South Pacific cruise in Nov 2010 is costing me @$2700 as a single in an obstructed view cabin. Cunard (QueenVic same cabin category) wants @3800 for an 11 day partial canal transit. What Cunard provides to warrant those rates is beyond me.

To each his own......

I have traveled most lines and prefer smaller ships. Service and food come first amenities and size of ship second. I always hoped I would find the perfect line for me...but they all continue to change, giving less and charging more....its a shame.

If my budget allowed, I would stick with Regent, but thats a whole other story.

Celebrity

I have not done an Atlantis resort in many years. Playa Blanca, one on the Sea of Cortez, Punta Cana in the Dominican republic, Blue bay in Costa Rica.

I am really interested in the Cancun facility and just may book it.

Gary...thanks for your insight.

I am concerned that unlike the cruises that have a diversified crowd, the current resort choices may attract only the young buffed party guys. The comment from Zipper makes me think Cancun is better for me over PV.

As a true cruise a haulic, I need a change...and I can water ski!!!!!!!!

As for cost...I just got an eye opener. I checked the price for a single the week after the Atlantis package.....for a single it was $650 more doing it on my own rather than through Atlantis.

So I think I might give this some serious thought.

Thanks for posting this thread.

I was also in Costa Rica, we probably know each other, I was there during the first week. Both weeks of course were quite the adventure! Both places have tons of activities, PV has ziplining, while the water sports at Cancun are probably better. I didn't check but Cancun may also have the trapeze. My frustration with Cancun is that very few guys left the resort the year I was there (2004) , and oftentimes they were couples and groups that pretty much stuck to themselves on the excursions. On the other hand, there was a lot more comaraderie in PV, and it was a lot more fun. Shann Carr of course is always up for anything, she told me she couldn't find anyone to go skiing one time at Gay Ski Aspen! The parties aren't as incredible as the cruises, but still great deal of fun. As for twinks, they seem to stick more to the cruises. Btw, I'm 51 and still get out on the dance floor. It cracks me up when people comment that the crowd might be just young and buff, Rich, Malcolm and many of the others aren't exactly jailbait! Someone posted an incredible PV Atlantis youtube video a few years back, you may still be able to find it.

An interesting question...HAL

Its not the line it was before Carnival Corp took it over...but then neither is Princess.

HAL for me has a few good things going for it:

1. Less children

2. Smaller ships

3. Stern pools (I dont care for mid ship pools where you dont see the sea.

4. Cabins are nicely laid out

5.The Lido usually has better food than other comparable lines.

6. Indonesian bartenders are friendly and very polite.

Down side...the Dinning rooms. The service is substandard in my opinion. Ever since Carnival got involved, it seems as if the dinning room staff has been reduced way too much. No longer wine stewards, so waiters have to do both. I have found myself getting up and taking water from the service stations to refill glasses at the table. This has been done in view of head waiters and nothing seemed to bother them. The Indonesian staff is nice, but spread too thin and a bit too impersonal. I prefer European waiters who I can interact with more.

The big selling point for me right now is cost. As a single cruiser, the single surcharge is much less.....for the most part 150%.

Celebrity quotes 200%, as does RCCL and NCL. Princess is priced very similar to HAL, so they get my cruising dollars as well. I think Princess is extremely gay friendly, and I have always been treated well.

I actually prefer Princess over HAL, but the ships are way too big. I wish they had stayed with the Sun Class. Yet I am booked on the Crown PRINCESS on Dec 5th.....again cost.

The perdiem rates these days drive me crazy...my HAL 14 day South Pacific cruise in Nov 2010 is costing me @$2700 as a single in an obstructed view cabin. Cunard (QueenVic same cabin category) wants @3800 for an 11 day partial canal transit. What Cunard provides to warrant those rates is beyond me.

To each his own......

I have traveled most lines and prefer smaller ships. Service and food come first amenities and size of ship second. I always hoped I would find the perfect line for me...but they all continue to change, giving less and charging more....its a shame.

If my budget allowed, I would stick with Regent, but thats a whole other story.

Celebrity[/quote

Thanks for your side. I"m leaning your way with what going on with the cruise line now. We sailed Princees twice and I did not like The Grand but did like Regal Princess. (We like the Radiance class ships on RCCL) So I will see how Crown will be in just eight weeks. Thanks, Joe

Small world......

Yes I was at Costa Rica the first week. I hated the way things were handled the day we left with all the political unrest. On a positive note, really enjoyed Costa Rica. I have great memories and photos of the zip line tour excursion. The trip to Arenal volcano and resort spa (with sulfur pools) was very unique.

I did enjoy the difference of the resort environment......which makes me think Cancun might be a good choice. With a couple of cruises on the horizon, I will have to see if the budget will handle Cancun.

I really enjoyed Costa Rica, the Arenal volcano was a lot of fun, that was my first and only time on an active volcano. They layout of the facility was also really kewl with the individual casitas scattered through the hills. Atlantis was really great back then when there was only 300 guys (and 4 really great lesbians) and you got to know everyone.

You would really enjoy the water sports in Cancun, I can't speak about the resort since it was a different facility when I was there. There are two different water parks, the one I went to Xel-Ha was a huge lagoon with the most incredible (stocked) fish you have ever seen, it was like snorkling in a giant aquarium. I also got a chance to drift snorkel in the open ocean which was a new experience. Chichen Itza consists of incredible Mayan ruins, but a bit scary since one stumble on the stairs down could rapidly be your demise, nothing though compares in terror to climbing that open, slippery, muddy 50-foot ladder at the start of the Costa Rica ziplining.

You can always do what I ended up doing that year, go to both Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. Enjoy. Atlantis is consistently the top-notch travel experience in the industry.

Archived