any recs on ports with our 11mo

mindymp

We will be cruising in 3 weeks (woot woot!!!) with our 11 month old lil girl. We are cruising the Carnival Liberty to Ocho Rios, Cozmel, and Grand Cayman. DH and I have cruised 2 other times. We are curious as to what you would recommend we do at these ports as a family. Thank you!

We will be cruising in 3 weeks (woot woot!!!) with our 11 month old lil girl. We are cruising the Carnival Liberty to Ocho Rios, Cozmel, and Grand Cayman. DH and I have cruised 2 other times. We are curious as to what you would recommend we do at these ports as a family. Thank you!

We just did Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman. It was a 3 hour land tour. We went to Hell, the Rum Cake Factory and the Turtle Farm. $30.

Be warned that there are almost no trees/shade at the turtle farm so wear sun block.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

We did a tour thru Marva Shaw in Jamaica. We were supposed to go thru the rain forest but it rained while we were eating lunch and they said it would be too muddy to get out and enjoy it. Otherwise the tour really didnt include anything an 11 month old would like.

In Coz we stayed on the ship - but we are pretty bored of Coz and it was near the end of the trip and the kids needed to nap on a regular schedule more than we needed to see Coz.

Last cruise, last year, we were aboard the Liberty of the Seas.

Ocho Rios... we had a large group of family and friends (12 adults/children).. so we booked a tour with Phil Lafayette (found him on tripadvisor)... The plan was to do the Martha Brae river and the Rocklands Hummingbird Sanctuary... but the weather wasn't agreeable.

We did Martha Brae, and the river was fast, it drizzled on us a little... when we started heading to the Hummingbird Sanctuary, it rained heavily upon us. So we asked Phil's guide to take us to a good "local" restaurant for lunch.. he took us to The Pelican Restaurant, we ate really good Jerk Chicken (soooo tender) and I had an Ackee and Salt Fish (Jamaica's national dish)... it was really good. It never really stopped pouring... so we cut the tour short, didn't have to pay as much per person (because of the weather)... but still got to see some of the local sites from the van in the rain.

I still want to go to the Rockland's Hummingbird Sanctuary one day, though...

Cozumel... we did the Dolphin Encounter at Chakunaab National Park. Booked it direct and in advance, took the $6 cab to the park... the two kids under the age of 6 were FREE, and they got us on the photos and video with the dolphin. That came out to be around $30 cheaper than booking it through the ship... and the ship won't book anyone under the age of 8...

There's a great Mexican restaurant at Chankunaab... it's actually the first place I ever tried (and liked) ceviche... waaaayy back in the day... like... 1987... when I was a kid.

This November, we're gonna be hitting Cozumel again on a cruise... I haven't decided what to do yet... another Dolphin thing would be redundant.

Grand Cayman... last time we were there, we did Boatswain's.. took a cab. They have a snorkeling lagoon there (lots of fish and algae)... and a freshwater pool area. Plus the turtles, of course. Oh yeah.. they have the "Cayman Village" area...

Archived