Booking group cruise?

heatherkristin

hello everyone... I know there is always group cruises going on around here so I am hoping someone can answer my questions..

My fiance and I are looking to get married on the ship (carnival paradise) in 2011. I know that we are going to have 10-18 cabins including our own sailing with us. I have contacted carnival and have been emailing with one of their girls for the past few days but I am a little confused (and she is on east coast time so i can never call her after work here in ca).

I was told that i can make my group booking now with one deposit of $150.. then consistently ask for 'extensions' to give my guests ample time to make their reservations.

Has anyone had experience with this extension stuff? I am worried there will be a deadline before everyone has time to save up for the cruise, but I would like to lock in the great prices now! She said that there are 'limits to the amounts of extensions that can be given' this is what is worrying me.. does anyone know what these limits are?!

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide!! Thank you :)

I am not 100% sure of your questions, but we are part of a group booking on the Nov. 12th Miracle. I called Carnival recently to set up a room for our group to meet in, get the cruise director invited, etc.

They have a group events department that handles things like that. You can have your group set up with private meeting, catered parties, whatever you like. It's all about giving you what you want.

I think there needs to be a group leader who coordinates everything. That could be you or someone you designate. If you go through a TA then all communications go through that person.

Not sure about payment. Sometimes group bookings need to be paid on one big check, but if you book direct with Carnival they will probably let individuals call in with payments, or auto-charge a credit card at a specific date.

There is a minimum of 8 cabins to get group amenities. If you go below that you may lose some ameneties but should still keep the group rate. Our group had 12 cabins booked, but somehow dropped to 5 cabins and we lost the group cocktail party but instead get another bottle of wine (that makes 2) and still keep our OBC. I was told if we went below 3 cabins we would have lost all the group amenities, which I think meant the OBC, not just the wine.

I inquired about a group cruise just today and was given only a month to get deposits in. Perhaps she helping you out by spilling a secret.

hmm.. well I definitely appreciate the spilling of said secret! Otherwise I am worried that everyone will have to book individually and no fun perks. :(

There is a minimum of 8 cabins to get group amenities. If you go below that you may lose some ameneties but should still keep the group rate. Our group had 12 cabins booked, but somehow dropped to 5 cabins and we lost the group cocktail party but instead get another bottle of wine (that makes 2) and still keep our OBC. I was told if we went below 3 cabins we would have lost all the group amenities, which I think meant the OBC, not just the wine.

I did not know that! I thought if by some chance we end up with only 7.. we get cancelled.. thanks for the scoop :)

I was given about 6 weeks to get the reservations in for our group cruise but I used a TA and my deposits were only $25 per person to lock in the price. The remaining balance of the deposit is due in April (initial bookings had to be in by Sept.) and remaining balance of cruise due in June. If you have issues with people who need a little time to save the money then you might want to check with a TA.

I usually just book straight with Carnival but this was just a better arrangement for us as a group as some people had 4 to make deposits for...sometimes it is hard to come up with the $800 for something a year away.

If you decide to check with a TA just make sure that you ask about cancellation fees etc. I went through 3 before I found one that wasn't shorting us on the amenity points or had hidden fees for name changes, cancellation, and even "service charge fees" of $75 per person that they were not forthcoming with.

Just my 2cents....

Hey Heather...I just noticed he proposed just under 2 weeks ago....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

We have a group cruise booked & my agent just had everyone get with her on the payment, everyone was entitled to the 100 OBC. We also all received 2 price drops so far.

Make sure you get all the fine print info. Is it based on a group booking & is she giving you any ammenity points? Can someone cancel? There are also other perks, did they offer you a TC credit for 8 or more cabins?

Congrats.

I was given about 6 weeks to get the reservations in for our group cruise but I used a TA and my deposits were only $25 per person to lock in the price. The remaining balance of the deposit is due in April (initial bookings had to be in by Sept.) and remaining balance of cruise due in June. If you have issues with people who need a little time to save the money then you might want to check with a TA.

I usually just book straight with Carnival but this was just a better arrangement for us as a group as some people had 4 to make deposits for...sometimes it is hard to come up with the $800 for something a year away.

If you decide to check with a TA just make sure that you ask about cancellation fees etc. I went through 3 before I found one that wasn't shorting us on the amenity points or had hidden fees for name changes, cancellation, and even "service charge fees" of $75 per person that they were not forthcoming with.

Just my 2cents....

Hey Heather...I just noticed he proposed just under 2 weeks ago....CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

thank you! he certainly knew how to make the muster drill a little less boring, thats for sure!:D

I may look into a TA.. The extension thing is really worrying me because we cant expect our guests to make their deposit when they haven't even received a invitation! I thought a group booking would be more relaxed.. with a open time span (6-8 months.. its not till april 2011!!!) . I guess I had always thought wrong. :( thank you for the tip about watching the amenity points and fees.. I would completely not even think about that!!

We have a group cruise booked & my agent just had everyone get with her on the payment, everyone was entitled to the 100 OBC. We also all received 2 price drops so far.

Make sure you get all the fine print info. Is it based on a group booking & is she giving you any ammenity points? Can someone cancel? There are also other perks, did they offer you a TC credit for 8 or more cabins?

Congrats.

Yes, I was advised of the amenity points.. $75 per cabin. what is a tc credit? (enter my blonde-ness..)

Every 8 cabins qualifies for a Tour Conductor credit where one person pays for port charges & taxes only. It can also be divided between the cabins instead.

We were also given the ammenity points with only 5 cabins but the TC credit didn't kick in until 8

Archived