Fort Lauderale Hotel - Springhill Suites (Marriott)

JoyFrances

Just returned from a 1 week cruise on the Millennium and stayed at Springhill Suites (Marriott) the day before. Nice hotel! Shuttle available from the airport (Fort Lauderdale or Miami) to the hotel and then to the port the next day. Nice Continental Breakfast in the morning (hot items available) and included in the rate. We paid $129 for a suite which accommodated 3 people and included the shuttle service and the breakfast. The room had a king bed and pull out sofa. Hotel also had a nice outdoor pool.

Joy

• 2 weeks later...

JoyFrances

Thanks for the Springhill Suites review. Thats one of the hotels that frequently comes up on Priceline. How long was the wait for the shuttle, at the airport and Port Everglades? What time did the shuttle start making runs to the Port?

Thanks

We stayed at this hotel one night precruise in March 2004. It was a comfortable and convenient place to stay. The front desk personnel were extremely nice and helpful from the first phone call when we arrived at the airport until we left on the shuttle for our ship. They came very quickly to pick us up at the airport. They also took us in the shuttle to a restaurant for dinner. We did have a long wait after dinner for the shuttle to pick us up and later realized we could have easily walked back to the hotel. The shuttle trips to the pier were very organized and you signed up for the shuttle of your choice when you checked into your room. The complementary breakfast was nice. This is not a hotel where I would want to spend several days for a vacation, but it was fine for a precruise hotel.

We stayed at this hotel one night precruise in March 2004. It was a comfortable and convenient place to stay. The front desk personnel were extremely nice and helpful from the first phone call when we arrived at the airport until we left on the shuttle for our ship. They came very quickly to pick us up at the airport. They also took us in the shuttle to a restaurant for dinner. We did have a long wait after dinner for the shuttle to pick us up and later realized we could have easily walked back to the hotel. The shuttle trips to the pier were very organized and you signed up for the shuttle of your choice when you checked into your room. The complementary breakfast was nice. This is not a hotel where I would want to spend several days for a vacation, but it was fine for a precruise hotel.

Thanks, It sounds like just what Im looking for precruise.

We originally made our reservation on the Marriott Website which was about 8 months before our cruise. I had to telephone them about 3 months before and at that time it was still $129.00. I would telephone Marriott Central Res and see what they can do for you. The shuttle to the Port was done by order of ship. There was a list of the ships leaving the port and it showed the time the shuttle would leave from the hotel. They ran pretty much on time (we were suppose to leave the hotel at 11:30 am and were called for our shuttle at 11:50 am.). The shuttle also drove us to a restaurant on the day we arrived (but this was not a free service, we paid a per person charge); however, there were 10 of us in a group and this way we all went in the same shuttle there and back. They charged us $30.00 return for the restaurant which we thought was O.K.

JoyFrances

We originally made our reservation on the Marriott Website which was about 8 months before our cruise. I had to telephone them about 3 months before and at that time it was still $129.00. I would telephone Marriott Central Res and see what they can do for you. The shuttle to the Port was done by order of ship. There was a list of the ships leaving the port and it showed the time the shuttle would leave from the hotel. They ran pretty much on time (we were suppose to leave the hotel at 11:30 am and were called for our shuttle at 11:50 am.). The shuttle also drove us to a restaurant on the day we arrived (but this was not a free service, we paid a per person charge); however, there were 10 of us in a group and this way we all went in the same shuttle there and back. They charged us $30.00 return for the restaurant which we thought was O.K.

JoyFrances

I appreciate the details. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to try to get this hotel on Priceline and have some questions. Are all the suites here with a sofa bed and a private bedroom? This hotel is near the airport........does it happen to get loud at night while trying to sleep? TIA

I want to try to get this hotel on Priceline and have some questions. Are all the suites here with a sofa bed and a private bedroom? This hotel is near the airport........does it happen to get loud at night while trying to sleep? TIA

Have you viewed the website? Im also targeting this hotel via Priceline.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=FLLSH

Each of our spacious king or 2 double-bedded suites features separate sleeping, eating and working areas. Amenities include a pull-out sofa bed, pantry area with mini-refrigerator, microwave, in-room coffee, & a large well-lit desk with ergonomic chair. Take advantage of free local calls, convenient fax service, exercise facility and pool to ease your travels on the road. Conveniently located near Ft. Lauderdale Int'l Airport(1.1 miles away) and Port Everglades(4.0 miles away). We provide complimentary transportation to the airport (limited times.) Looking for a pre or post cruise accommodations? Check out our "Cruise Traveler" package which includes transportation to the Port Everglades Cruiseport (Transportation to the Port of Miami is not included)! Just minutes away from FLL Airport, Cruiseport and famous beaches!

K8sMom, when are you looking to stay? It sounds like the OP's hotel stay was early in February which might account for the price difference. Spring Break season doesn't start until after the first week or so in February, so pricing is lower then.

We will be staying at Springhill Suites the night before our cruise leaves on March 20. We are going to use our Marriott points so it won't cost us anything. I was looking for a good price for our son and his wife, but it turns out that they have enough Marriott points for this stay also.

We will be staying at Springhill Suites the night before our cruise leaves on March 20. We are going to use our Marriott points so it won't cost us anything. I was looking for a good price for our son and his wife, but it turns out that they have enough Marriott points for this stay also.

K8sMom

Are there any grocery or dept stores within walking distance of the hotel? I thought I read its across the street from a shopping center with a Dave n Buster's. Since I have been reading so many reviews, cant seem to keep them all straight :)

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

K8sMom

Are there any grocery or dept stores within walking distance of the hotel? I thought I read its across the street from a shopping center with a Dave n Buster's. Since I have been reading so many reviews, cant seem to keep them all straight :)

Its not the best place for walking, Stirling Road and I95 are pretty busy,not really geared for pedestrians. Its not across the street from Dave & Busters, its probably a $5 cab ride away though.

It is across a very busy street from a shopping center. I don't remember what stores are there. I think there is a K-Mart and perhaps some fast food places as well as other stores. We did not have the car last time we were there so I did not go to the shopping center. If you called the hotel, they could probably tell you what all is across the street.

• 1 month later...

How was your stay last month?

K8sMom

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The first time, we walked to the shopping center with no trouble. (And yes, there is a D&B there.) The second time we stayed there, we decided to go to Boomers, an arcade located close by. We stopped at the desk to ask whether it was within walking distance and we were told that they don't suggest that we walk because it wasn't in the greatest area. (The arcade was less than 5 minutes from the hotel.) We took a cab, and on the way to the arcade two young men threw a rock through a side window of the cab. The cab driver immediately drove after the throwers through a very run down neighborhood--yes, with customers, including a 10-year-old, in the cab. I don't know what he thought would happen if he caught the throwers. We finally got him to turn around and drop us at our destination. Fortunately, none of us were hurt, but my nephew did have a few minor cuts from the safety glass. I learned a valuable lesson--always ask at the front desk before assuming any area is safe to walk in.

Our last stay was in Dec 2002, so the area may have improved. We never felt unsafe at the hotel and were quite happy with the facilities and staff. I would stay there again, but I wouldn't walk to the shopping center even though that area doesn't look 'bad', unless the hotel staff said it was safe.

Archived