Triumph Review 9-19/9-26, New England & Canada

Thanks for sharing your review. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I would like to take this itinerary some day as it sounds like a lot of fun. I really was interested in your review because I will be sailing on the Triumph in Nov. I have made some notes about things you wrote about the ship. The information will be very helpful! Thanks again!

Great review!

One question - where is the "secret deck?" My sister and I will be leaving on the Triumph on 10/10 and is sounds like a good place for sail-away.

Also, i am glad you liked the Foodies tour. I just signed up for it yesterday.

Hi Kokopops-

OF COURSE we've been to the fair...you can't be a native Bloomsburgian and NOT go to the fair !! LOL.

We lived in Bloomsburg for 2 years while my husband finished up his degree. We lived close to the United Methodist Church. Loved our time there. We went to the fair both years we were there. Great small town feel.

I love the carribean.. I was just on this cruise to canada.. I loved the ports.. It is a different type of cruise.. If you love the beaches,turquoise water and hot weather than you will love the carribean.. If you like sightseeing and cooler weather.. New England and Canada is for you..Also for newer and nicer ships they usually go to the Carribean.. Going to cooler areas that are not as popular, usually there are older ships and when the weather is cooler the ships are very crowded especially on at sea days.

Questions:

What time does the MDR open for breakfast?

Does the waiting area in the port (NYC) have any vending machines or is there someplace to get coffee and a snack?

Approx. what street was the Triumph docked at? (56, 57, 58)

We will be doing the same cruise sailing on 10/10/09. Not sure what is at the port since it was renovated.

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Hi! Thanks for the review! We are sailing on 10/10/09. My family wanted a cooler climate and no beaches for a cruise. I myself am a beach person. I love being in the pool. Were the pools open during your cruise and did anyone go in? I'm from North Jersey so I know how cool it has been. Also, what time did they start letting passengers board the ship in NY.

Ok…let me try to answer your questions one by one.

DEL67 - The secret deck is on Deck 9….all the way forward. As you walk down either hallway, you will see a door at the end of the hall which leads to another door, which is quite heavy and hard to open. That second door leads to a deck that is directly above the bridge and has great views on all the way around the ship. It’s perfect for sailaway.

Sea U Onboard - I know exactly where you’re talking about near the Methodist Church…I’ve lived here my entire life and love it.

Maraprince - The MDR opens at different times for breakfast, depending on the ports . It could be anywhere from 6:00 to 7:30 AM. As far as the terminal in NYC, yes I did see one or two vending machines but while we were waiting, quite a few people ran outside to get breakfast and were back within a short time, so there must be places across the street from the terminal. We didn’t do that, so I can’t help you there. I just saw others coming back with bagels and breakfast sandwiches, so I know they must be available close by. As far as the street the Triumph was docked at…..I’m not sure it was an actual street number. When you come down the Henry Hudson Parkway there are signs for the Cruise Terminal. Just take that and it leads you right into the complex. As you go in the terminal employees will direct you to the right pier for the ship you’re on and tell you where to park. It was VERY easy. I have to tell you, we came in across the George Washington Bridge and had very little traffic. I had talked to many people both on this site and friends of ours who go to N YC a lot and they all recommended the GWB, rather than the Lincoln tunnel that Carnival recommends. There is usually a lot of bus traffic coming into the city on Saturday mornings, and the Lincoln tunnel brings you in to the city in the downtown area, which is typically more crowded. By going up to the GWB, you miss all that downtown congestion and the drive was VERY easy…just get off the GWB and take the Henry Hudson Parkway and it leads right to the terminal entrance….easy peasy….even for me !!

Trollers – Yes all the pools and hot tubs were open for our cruise. There were reports that the hot tubs were closed on prior cruises on the Triumph, but everything was open when we were there. VERY few people used the pool. I think I saw one young couple that consistently used it everyday, but that was about it. A few people were in the hot tubs …maybe 5 or 10 total each day…but they were by no means crowded. More people in the back hot tubs since the domed roof was closed back there and it was much less windy. We were one of the first ones in the terminal and were in the first boarding group, and we were on the ship right around noon.

When you come down the Henry Hudson Parkway there are signs for the Cruise Terminal. Just take that and it leads you right into the complex. As you go in the terminal employees will direct you to the right pier for the ship you’re on and tell you where to park. It was VERY easy. I have to tell you, we came in across the George Washington Bridge and had very little traffic. I had talked to many people both on this site and friends of ours who go to N YC a lot and they all recommended the GWB, rather than the Lincoln tunnel that Carnival recommends. There is usually a lot of bus traffic coming into the city on Saturday mornings, and the Lincoln tunnel brings you in to the city in the downtown area, which is typically more crowded. By going up to the GWB, you miss all that downtown congestion and the drive was VERY easy…just get off the GWB and take the Henry Hudson Parkway and it leads right to the terminal entrance….easy peasy….even for me !!

Unfortunately, that is not doable for us. We will be coming from the East -- Queens -- across the 59th Street Bridge and heading west to 12th Avenue.

MARAPRINCE

When you come down the Henry Hudson Parkway there are signs for the Cruise Terminal. Just take that and it leads you right into the complex. As you go in the terminal employees will direct you to the right pier for the ship you’re on and tell you where to park. It was VERY easy. I have to tell you, we came in across the George Washington Bridge and had very little traffic. I had talked to many people both on this site and friends of ours who go to N YC a lot and they all recommended the GWB, rather than the Lincoln tunnel that Carnival recommends. There is usually a lot of bus traffic coming into the city on Saturday mornings, and the Lincoln tunnel brings you in to the city in the downtown area, which is typically more crowded. By going up to the GWB, you miss all that downtown congestion and the drive was VERY easy…just get off the GWB and take the Henry Hudson Parkway and it leads right to the terminal entrance….easy peasy….even for me !!

Unfortunately, that is not doable for us. We will be coming from the East -- Queens -- across the 59th Street Bridge and heading west to 12th Avenue.

MARAPRINCE

http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals_Parking_Directions__PORT_OF_NEW_YORK.aspx

That's a link with info from the carnival site for the NYC port. It states that the address is actually 55th. Before looking it up I remember 57th street for some reason. If you are coming up 12th from the south you'll want the far left lane as they have you do a giant U-turn and then down a little ways before entering. It also might be helpful to find out which dock the ship will be at as they use 2 different piers with 2 seperate parking lots.

As a side note, I found that if you use a site like google or mapquest on the address you can click it over to satellite and zoom in close enough to see cars. It helps on the feel for the layout of the area if you are unfamiliar with it.

Archived