Will Ship Accept Tandem Bicycle?

Booking an HC room for this purpose is just plain immoral.

HC people wait for HC rooms to open up and often don't get one and can't travel.

Two people fit enough to bike across the UK don't qualify!

You are correct, however after a certain date, the rooms if not booked by an HC person are available to anyone. That is what I am suggesting, not depriving an HC person.

Our tandem is 8 feet long. It's not a breakdown model that can be disassembled. With an inside cabin, there's no way I'll have that thing inside. Just navigating it up and down stairs would be very difficult and dangerous to fellow PAX. Elevators -- forget it.

Actually, I'm a little relieved. Now we can ship that beast home and enjoy a month in southern Europe before boarding without having to watch out for it and struggle putting it on and off trains.

UPS can't take it because the total number of inches (LxWxH) exceeds their limits. Maybe we'll cycle from Land's End to Plymouth and ask a tramp steamer to take it to Galveston. ;) Seriously, I'm trying to get advice from members of the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) in the UK on how to skin this cat.

Thank you for your comments. I did send a second communication to RCCI advising them that this is a charity bike ride and that Captain Johnny Faevelin of the RCCI Mariner of the Seas brings his Harley Davidson motorcycle with him on his cruises. Come on, there's got to be some space on Deck 2 where I could shock-cord this thing to a wall.

You are correct, however after a certain date, the rooms if not booked by an HC person are available to anyone. That is what I am suggesting, not depriving an HC person.

Perhaps this is what you should have said in your original post. NOT...."book a larger handicapped person room"!!!!!!! :eek:

Archived