Villefrance with young children

shushh

We have heard so many lovely things about Villefranche that we will most likely just potter around when we tender there in April next year. As we will have 3 young children with us aged 7yr, 5yr and 18 months as well as my parents, we figure less is more!

Was wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations for child-friendly or interesting things to do? Our kids are pretty good and enjoy the cafe scene so any recommendation for your favourite eating spots would be appreciated also!

Another thing we were considering is to make a small sidetrip to Eze. Our ship will be there from 8am to 7pm. Do you think this is crazy to try to do with 3 children?

The other concern I have is that we tender on a Monday. Not sure if things close on Mondays like they do in Italy.

Thank you in advance your help/advice!

We have heard so many lovely things about Villefranche that we will most likely just potter around when we tender there in April next year. As we will have 3 young children with us aged 7yr, 5yr and 18 months as well as my parents, we figure less is more!

Was wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations for child-friendly or interesting things to do? Our kids are pretty good and enjoy the cafe scene so any recommendation for your favourite eating spots would be appreciated also!

Another thing we were considering is to make a small sidetrip to Eze. Our ship will be there from 8am to 7pm. Do you think this is crazy to try to do with 3 children?

The other concern I have is that we tender on a Monday. Not sure if things close on Mondays like they do in Italy.

Thank you in advance your help/advice!

Honestly, I'd recommend taking the bus to Nice. It's only 1 euro pp and really easy/quick. The person at the port welcome office and show you on the map or just follow the crowd. :) Take bus 81 (stop is right next to the pharmacy) to Nice and bus 100 back to Villefranche. Took about 10 minutes and was a pretty ride. You ride the bus all the way to the main train station in Nice and then it's across two streets and you're in old Nice. Beautiful area with lots of little shops, restaurants, etc. Fun to just meander around.

Someone can direct you to the main market which is a short walk towards to the water. Flowers, ceramics, etc. are all lined up. We ate at a place called La Balconette (sp?), that was FANTASTIC. They had a lunch special of 17 euros pp for a three course lunch and the food was fabulous. Just down the street from there is A' la Oliver (sp?), which was a really cool olive oil store where you can taste the various oils, vinegars and salts.

Then, a quick bus trip back (1 euro pp) and we meandered through Villefranche before returning to the ship.

Thank you for the suggestion. It certainly sounds very nice and quite manageable! Quick question, will it be possible for us to take a stroller (collapsible umbrella type) onto the bus? Not sure how big/small the buses are. I guess what I should have asked first is...does anyone take strollers seeing as Villefranche is a tender port?

Yes strollers (pushchairs?) will be fine for Villefranche via tender. Have seen many on tenders esp if they fold. Eze is very hilly especially if you want to get to the very top of the village so you may feel that with 3 small children it could be a bit of a slog.

What about the beach at Villefranche or Nice followed by a spectacular ice cream which can be found at one of the many cafes on the seafront in either spot? In April, however, its possible that it may be a little chilly for actual bathing.The beach at Villefranche is better than in Nice which is mainly pebbly.

Thank you for the suggestion. It certainly sounds very nice and quite manageable! Quick question, will it be possible for us to take a stroller (collapsible umbrella type) onto the bus? Not sure how big/small the buses are. I guess what I should have asked first is...does anyone take strollers seeing as Villefranche is a tender port?

Plenty of space for an umbrella stroller. There are a few seats and then a large open standing area and a small section for bags, etc. Our bus wasn't crowded at all and I doubt you'll run into crowds in April. Buses are nice and low to the ground, too, so easy for the little ones to get in/out.

Oh, and I definitely agree with the previous poster about beaches. Nice was a pebble beach w/ these odd sections of sand here and there. Villefranche was more like a traditional beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Villefranche on a cruise last month with children aged 7 & 9.

we had a great time in the morning exploring the old town and the old fort (which contains the town hall) gives excellent views to your ship at anchor in the bay. We spent the afternoon on the nice sandy beach and enjoyed an ice cream. Villefranche is a delightfull small town in which to spend a relaxing day. Enjoy your family cruise.

Archived