AMA Compared to Avalon

jaybell

Has anyone cruised on both AMA and Avalon? We've gone on AMA and loved everything about it and are therefore hesitant to try another line. However, Avalon has an itinerary we like and all that I've read and seen makes me think they're quite similar. I would like to hear from those who have experience with both lines.

;)Just my opinion, of course.But stick with AMA.I ve tried both and find AMA superior in every respect. Only time I d switch is IF a particular trip is not offered, then try Uniworld. Have been on most of the river lines, had the poorest experience with last one.Avalon Scenery.Read my review under member review of that ship for details .:eek:

We did Avalon-Rhine cruise 2 years ago and AMA Russian cruise this past July and a Viking Danube 6 years ago and to us each had different things we liked and a few we disliked. We found them all quite similar, the dinners more artsy fartsy on Avalon and more down-to-earth dinners on the Russian cruise. We never left the table hungary that is for sure. We upgraded to a French balcony on the Rhine cruise and that was nice but we really didn't dislike one more than the other. We chose because of the iteinerary and where we wanted to go and what we wanted to see each time. Hope this helps!

I have cruised with both AMA and Avalon. When I left the ship on the Danube, I felt exactly as you did. I honestly didn't see how it could have been better. However, I wanted to do the Rhine next, and AMA didn't do that tour during the summer. So we went with Avalon, and it was terrific!

They were very similar operations. These were the differences:

Avalon had better food. Our chef was superior. The ship was much quieter due to a new design.

AMA had internet in the rooms and the cruise director was better (except that varies by ships.)

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with Avalon.

Archived