Antarctic cruises

holidayhelen

SuzyQTraveler, as a photographer you will love it but with no landings you will want to return on a ship that does landings. For 2011, there will be far fewer ships able to cruise and land in the Antarctica due to required low fuel emissions beginning then.

What information have you received recently re these proposed recommendations. We also are scheduled on a HAL cruise next January, and I am holding my breath. The Last I heard was that the IAATO recommendations were being voted on in March, 2010, for implementation beginning with the 2011-2012 year. However, adherence is voluntary, and who knows if the dates will change. Also, I read somewhere where many of the cruise ships now carry both heavy and light fuel, switching to light fuel when they reach Antarctica. If that is the case, the cruise lines might plan on carrying only light fuel and upping their fares. Please steer me to any recent info that you may have. Thanks.

What information have you received recently re these proposed recommendations. We also are scheduled on a HAL cruise next January, and I am holding my breath. The Last I heard was that the IAATO recommendations were being voted on in March, 2010, for implementation beginning with the 2011-2012 year. However, adherence is voluntary, and who knows if the dates will change. Also, I read somewhere where many of the cruise ships now carry both heavy and light fuel, switching to light fuel when they reach Antarctica. If that is the case, the cruise lines might plan on carrying only light fuel and upping their fares. Please steer me to any recent info that you may have. Thanks.

There is a move to restrict access to Antarctice waters to ships with less than 500 passengers. Why? Because of concerns about damge due to spill of heavy fuels and a safety concern about the inability to rescue 2000+ passengers if the ship runs aground.

Antractica is an amazing place. we just came off the Minerva.

There is a move to restrict access to Antarctice waters to ships with less than 500 passengers. Why? Because of concerns about damge due to spill of heavy fuels and a safety concern about the inability to rescue 2000+ passengers if the ship runs aground.

Antractica is an amazing place. we just came off the Minerva.

I had heard that from another poster, but where does this info come from? I logged onto IAATO's website and did not see this restriction in these recommendations that are being voted on. The recommendation was over heavy fuel vs. light fuel. Can you point me to the specific recommendation re the 500-passenger limitation? I know that one of the tour operators was recommending this, but I don't think it actually became a formal recommendation from the Association - or did it?

I had heard that from another poster, but where does this info come from? I logged onto IAATO's website and did not see this restriction in these recommendations that are being voted on. The recommendation was over heavy fuel vs. light fuel. Can you point me to the specific recommendation re the 500-passenger limitation? I know that one of the tour operators was recommending this, but I don't think it actually became a formal recommendation from the Association - or did it?

Only ships with 500 or less passengers are allowed to land in Antarctica. No restrictions on cruise bys but some countries want to limit access and disallow big ships. We got this during a lecture on our 200 passenger cruise.

Only ships with 500 or less passengers are allowed to land in Antarctica. No restrictions on cruise bys but some countries want to limit access and disallow big ships. We got this during a lecture on our 200 passenger cruise.

Yes. Actually, I thought the limit was 400 passengers. I know that most of the smaller ships that do landings limit the passengers to 200 or less. On another note, how was your Minerva cruise? And did you go to the Falklands? And what do you recommend in Ushaiwa? (Hoping that our HAL cruise next January actually sails!)

Yes. Actually, I thought the limit was 400 passengers. I know that most of the smaller ships that do landings limit the passengers to 200 or less. On another note, how was your Minerva cruise? And did you go to the Falklands? And what do you recommend in Ushaiwa? (Hoping that our HAL cruise next January actually sails!)

You can have only 100 passengers on land at any time. We were split into 2 groups. We went to Bluff Cove (incl at no cost!). We were in Ushuaia before. We just walked around and enjoyed the scenery. The Beagle Channel cruise would be a let down compared to Antarctica. I will most more notes and videos on my thread later. We are about to head out to the USH airposrt for our long trip back home USH-EZE-MIA-DFW-SEA!

• 4 months later...

It looks like they're already limiting cruise ship access to Antarctica. I am so glad I went in 1999 and again in 2000.

My first trip was a 31 day journey that started in Capetown, South Africa. We spent 6 days there; then boarded the MV Marco Polo (no longer in service) for a trans-Atlantic cruise to the eastern shores of South America. We then cruised along the coast, visiting most of the countries, and the Falkland Islands. All but 400 passengers disembarked in Buenos Aires.

Then we were off to the LAST continent. We made 6 stops on the Antarctic peninsula. It was AWE-inspiring. We got back to Ushuaia, and flew home. We had celebrated Y2K and picked up our 7th continent...

As soon as I got home, I booked a return to Antarctica the next year, to celebrate the REAL millennium. The second time would give us a chance to really see and enjoy the splendor. We were gonna be repeaters to Antarctica.... couldn't wait. We got to go to a couple of the ports we couldn't get to due to rough seas the previous year. It was even better the second time around.

If you can go, please do so. I do believe that eventually they will ban all ships down there. It is definitely a MUST-SEE.

countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=bellybutton530&date=11-20-2010&text=My 60th birthday cruise; my 56th cruise!&ship=Celebrity Constellation

It looks like they're already limiting cruise ship access to Antarctica. I am so glad I went in 1999 and again in 2000.

My first trip was a 31 day journey that started in Capetown, South Africa. We spent 6 days there; then boarded the MV Marco Polo (no longer in service) for a trans-Atlantic cruise to the eastern shores of South America. We then cruised along the coast, visiting most of the countries, and the Falkland Islands. All but 400 passengers disembarked in Buenos Aires.

Then we were off to the LAST continent. We made 6 stops on the Antarctic peninsula. It was AWE-inspiring. We got back to Ushuaia, and flew home. We had celebrated Y2K and picked up our 7th continent...

As soon as I got home, I booked a return to Antarctica the next year, to celebrate the REAL millennium. The second time would give us a chance to really see and enjoy the splendor. We were gonna be repeaters to Antarctica.... couldn't wait. We got to go to a couple of the ports we couldn't get to due to rough seas the previous year. It was even better the second time around.

If you can go, please do so. I do believe that eventually they will ban all ships down there. It is definitely a MUST-SEE.

if it's a must-see, i have to travel there also :o

Archived