Antarctic cruises

holidayhelen

Hi - we did the Antarctic last January on the Star Princess. we would love to do it again in 2011 - but Princess only have one sailing - 8 Jan. Anyone tell me of other companies that go down to the Antarctic - not so much the small ships that land - the bigger companies please

Thank You

Helen

Go to this link ( http://www.adventure-life.com/cruises/antarctica-cruises ) for a full list of cruises to Antarctica, large and small.

We are booked this January on the Star Princess for that cruise. I would love to hear your comments. We have a port balcony. Am I right that for Antarctica that is the preferable side? Which excursions would you recommend, especially for penguin observation?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi - we did the Antarctic last January on the Star Princess. we would love to do it again in 2011 - but Princess only have one sailing - 8 Jan. Anyone tell me of other companies that go down to the Antarctic - not so much the small ships that land - the bigger companies please

Thank You

Helen

Hi Helen:

Holland America does, I believe Celebrity too. We are going to Antarctic February 2010 and would love to hear about your trip too. Thanks for sharing! :)

I don't know what I did last night - but spent ages writing and then must not have posted the reply - silly me!!!!!!!

We are english - mid 40s - we are not well off and choose an inside cabin - thinking we could spend the rest of the money on drinking!!!!!!!!!! We had midships behind the lifts.

We flew to BA and had a couple of days there - it was a wonderful city - lots to see and do and wonderful food.

We were more than happy with our cabin - had a massive wardrobe/dressing area - it was lovely. We headed off for Montevideo but when we woke the next morning we were still out at 'sea'(river plate) along with MANY other shipping vessels. We were in gale force winds and could not enter the very narrow harbour. We had to dock there to pick up supplies and we eventually docked about 5pm. Most trips were cancelled - but some taxi drivers did turn up to take people around - we decided just to have a walk round and then a drink on the dock.

We then headed off for Stanley. We had a wonderful day - it was glorious sunshine - we just took a local taxi to the local penguins - Gypsy cover? (I think) It was a walk round the headland and we did see some penguins - you cannot go onto the beaches. then we headed back to town for a pub crawl!!!!!!!

As we headed on south apparently we hit Hurricane force winds (I didn't feel a thing) they managed to smash the glass doors on the deck by the swimming pool - they remained off for the remainder of our cruise I think. Our first sight of the Antarctic was breath taking - the outside doors had been shut due to the wind conditions leading down there but as we got nearer and slowed down - the weather improved and the doors were opened - we were surrounded by penguins swimming round most of the time down there - nothing compares to the sight of a penguin(s) floating by the ship on an iceburg. I expected it to be all white - and was suprised that some of it wasn't.

When there was something to see - an amazing glacier or such the captain sat the boat still for quite a while and then often turned it round so where ever you were you would get a view. We managed to get a seat in the piano bar near the window and pop in and out onto the deck - either side - it was not as cold as we were expecting - and the day down the neymeyer channel - was the best - it started off well when I was doing my daily walk round the deck and the boat seemed surrounded by humpback whales - even tho it was only about 7am I rang our room and got hubby out of bed to join me - he missed the orcas that came by too - but we saw enormous amounts of whales, penguins, and seals. The ship goes very slowly - the scenery is spectacular - take plenty of photos - way tooo many!!!!!!!!! I have them all round my walls. 4 days seemed to really fly by.

Cape horn was not what I expected - but we have seen it now!!!!!!! Ushuia - was a lovely town - we took the trip to see the hidden lake - it was very dissapointing but we got to see some of the wonderful countryside - so that made a change.

We sailed away down the Beagle channel - there are a series of glaciers which are out of this world - we were due to sail past them about 7ish - so we didn't bother with dinner - we had cocktials on the top deck and watched in awe and got a buffett later on.

Punta areas - we got a taxi on the dock to see the ottaway penguins - it was really good as we arrived as all the big coaches were leaving - so there was only a handful of us there - loads of penguins - loads of baby penguins - that was a lovely day - we then headed back to town and went on a bit of a pub crawl

We had a few days in Santiago - but we were totally impressed - and if we do it again we will go straight home. Although I did go on a wine tour and the countryside was lovely.

We did buy the ship dvd - and I am sure that the webcam was being shown on the top deck on the m.u.t.s screen. I would totally recommend sitting in the piano bar near the window and then just nipping out when something catches your eye - you never seem to want to come in really. They serve hot toddies round the deck all day!!!!!!!

Any thing else - just ask

I don't know what I did last night - but spent ages writing and then must not have posted the reply - silly me!!!!!!!

We are english - mid 40s - we are not well off and choose an inside cabin - thinking we could spend the rest of the money on drinking!!!!!!!!!! We had midships behind the lifts.

We flew to BA and had a couple of days there - it was a wonderful city - lots to see and do and wonderful food.

We were more than happy with our cabin - had a massive wardrobe/dressing area - it was lovely. We headed off for Montevideo but when we woke the next morning we were still out at 'sea'(river plate) along with MANY other shipping vessels. We were in gale force winds and could not enter the very narrow harbour. We had to dock there to pick up supplies and we eventually docked about 5pm. Most trips were cancelled - but some taxi drivers did turn up to take people around - we decided just to have a walk round and then a drink on the dock.

We then headed off for Stanley. We had a wonderful day - it was glorious sunshine - we just took a local taxi to the local penguins - Gypsy cover? (I think) It was a walk round the headland and we did see some penguins - you cannot go onto the beaches. then we headed back to town for a pub crawl!!!!!!!

As we headed on south apparently we hit Hurricane force winds (I didn't feel a thing) they managed to smash the glass doors on the deck by the swimming pool - they remained off for the remainder of our cruise I think. Our first sight of the Antarctic was breath taking - the outside doors had been shut due to the wind conditions leading down there but as we got nearer and slowed down - the weather improved and the doors were opened - we were surrounded by penguins swimming round most of the time down there - nothing compares to the sight of a penguin(s) floating by the ship on an iceburg. I expected it to be all white - and was suprised that some of it wasn't.

When there was something to see - an amazing glacier or such the captain sat the boat still for quite a while and then often turned it round so where ever you were you would get a view. We managed to get a seat in the piano bar near the window and pop in and out onto the deck - either side - it was not as cold as we were expecting - and the day down the neymeyer channel - was the best - it started off well when I was doing my daily walk round the deck and the boat seemed surrounded by humpback whales - even tho it was only about 7am I rang our room and got hubby out of bed to join me - he missed the orcas that came by too - but we saw enormous amounts of whales, penguins, and seals. The ship goes very slowly - the scenery is spectacular - take plenty of photos - way tooo many!!!!!!!!! I have them all round my walls. 4 days seemed to really fly by.

Cape horn was not what I expected - but we have seen it now!!!!!!! Ushuia - was a lovely town - we took the trip to see the hidden lake - it was very dissapointing but we got to see some of the wonderful countryside - so that made a change.

We sailed away down the Beagle channel - there are a series of glaciers which are out of this world - we were due to sail past them about 7ish - so we didn't bother with dinner - we had cocktials on the top deck and watched in awe and got a buffett later on.

Punta areas - we got a taxi on the dock to see the ottaway penguins - it was really good as we arrived as all the big coaches were leaving - so there was only a handful of us there - loads of penguins - loads of baby penguins - that was a lovely day - we then headed back to town and went on a bit of a pub crawl

We had a few days in Santiago - but we were totally impressed - and if we do it again we will go straight home. Although I did go on a wine tour and the countryside was lovely.

We did buy the ship dvd - and I am sure that the webcam was being shown on the top deck on the m.u.t.s screen. I would totally recommend sitting in the piano bar near the window and then just nipping out when something catches your eye - you never seem to want to come in really. They serve hot toddies round the deck all day!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Thank you for your comments. I am on the Celebrity Infinity for January 2011. It is hard to find many reviews of the bigger ships that go down there.

Cruise Critic has a thread on the Infinity Jan 31 to Antarctica for 2010. You could follow that thread and get some first hand advice when they return.

Cruise Critic has a thread on the Infinity Jan 31 to Antarctica for 2010. You could follow that thread and get some first hand advice when they return.

Oh trust me I have been lurking their roll call for awhile! I will hit them up for impressions as soon as I think they can give them. I really want to hear how it goes since it is the first time Celebrity does that route. I want to make sure the time spent down in Antarctica is enough. Honestly, I wish Princess wouldn't have altered their Star cruise for 2011. The way the itinerary is now makes it impossible for us to do.

Thank You

Helen

Dear Helen, My husband and I are going Feb. 14, via Buenos Aires departure to Antartica on the Infinity, a lovely Celebrity ship.

We are perplexed as to what to pack. Do we need extreme cold weather clothing?

Dear Helen, My husband and I are going Feb. 14, via Buenos Aires departure to Antartica on the Infinity, a lovely Celebrity ship.

We are perplexed as to what to pack. Do we need extreme cold weather clothing?

Layers work well in South America. If you are not landing in Antarctica, you will have less exposure to extreme cold. Fleece tops work well under jackets.

Hi there,

My husband and I are going on the Princindam, HOLLAND AMERICA...Jan 13 for grand voyage...Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale.....70 days and it goes to Antarctica....

Will review this trip when I return.

It is sold out for this year...but, consider it for 2011.

HEY....IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE going with us on Jan 13th ...GRAND VOYAGE on the Princendam...HAL???

SUZYQTRAVELER

Holiday Helen...

you write well. Now, I am REALLY excited about our upcoming grand voyage to SA and including Antarctica.

I am a photographer and always wanted to go there...so your description about the the experience really excites me.

I wonder if anyone else here, will be on the Princendam with us in less that 2 weeks, now???

Tiggerman,

DH and I are on your cruise next January to Antarctica. I can't wait for the reviews from the lucky people leaving in a couple of weeks!

Before you know it, it'll be our turn! :D

Yes, it will go fast. I booked it back in June and have already come this far. I guess I need to start making payments now.....:D.

Not on your cruise, but just got an e-mail from someone on the Minerva II that arrived in South Georgia Islands today. Message said "so far so good".

I would take this to mean the Drake was not too bad. They sailed from Ushuaia.

Holiday Helen...

you write well. Now, I am REALLY excited about our upcoming grand voyage to SA and including Antarctica.

I am a photographer and always wanted to go there...so your description about the the experience really excites me.

I wonder if anyone else here, will be on the Princendam with us in less that 2 weeks, now???

SuzyQTraveler, as a photographer you will love it but with no landings you will want to return on a ship that does landings. For 2011, there will be far fewer ships able to cruise and land in the Antarctica due to required low fuel emissions beginning then.

Archived