Long Range Acoustic Device [LRAD]

Rasa Sayang

I can't remember if I've posted these here before, but if I have, please indulge my Alzheimers moment. :o:D

These were taken on the Oriana on a voyage earlier this year.

The device was deployed as a precautionary measure as we rounded the top of the Phillipines and passed through some narrow channels - known to be pirate areas.

I never thought I would ever see a LRAD up close - let alone see one deployed.

Luckily Jack Sparrow and his mates were not sighted and it did not have to be used, but it was certainly nice to know these devices are carried as defensive measures.

dscf0322w.jpg

dscf0320f.jpg

The front view shows the general "speaker" area and I am told the small "horn" shaped antenna is very directional - and it is this one they use when they go to full power.

dscf0321t.jpg

A complicated device, and as you can see it certainly has a large "high" power range.

dscf0319y.jpg

Some awesome pictures here, but what on earth does it DO?

In short, it wards off pirates..............that's about as technical as I get:). One of the fella's on here will be able to explain it all better.

Some awesome pictures here, but what on earth does it DO?

Think of it as being similar to a laser weaopon that uses sound instead of light.

The dish focuses a super amplified sound signal at the victim.

The operator speaks a warning through the microphone. The victim hears it really loudly but not so loud that they're injured.

If the pirate doesn't go away, they crank up the volume and transmit a high pitched squeal through it which would permanently injure anyone in front of it.

You can see the green, orange and red zones in the picture of the back. So long as you're in the green zone (behind it) you've got nothing to worry about.

Much more humane than carrying exocets or flame throwers I suppose :)

Think of it as being similar to a laser weaopon that uses sound instead of light.

The dish focuses a super amplified sound signal at the victim.

The operator speaks a warning through the microphone. The victim hears it really loudly but not so loud that they're injured.

If the pirate doesn't go away, they crank up the volume and transmit a high pitched squeal through it which would permanently injure anyone in front of it.

You can see the green, orange and red zones in the picture of the back. So long as you're in the green zone (behind it) you've got nothing to worry about.

Much more humane than carrying exocets or flame throwers I suppose :)

Now wasn't that much better than my explanation??:p:)

Noise Levels The louder a sound is, the more it moves the structures in your ear. The higher its pitch, the faster it moves them. Loud or high-pitched noises can cross the threshold of pain, or the point at which a sound is painful. Here's how some everyday sounds compare to the LRAD:

• Normal conversation: 60 dB
  • Lawn mower: 90 dB
  • LRAD maximum normal volume: 120 dB
  • Threshold of pain: 130 dB, depending on the person's tolerance
  • LRAD maximum volume with override: 146 dB (continual), 151 dB (burst)

Now that kind of noise is enough to drive anyone insane.

Its like a wave that keeps coming,there is no use plugging your ears, the sound will still penetrate.From "How Stuff Works:.

i might be sick.....but i would just love to be on the top deck watching the LRAD do it's job on those highly intelligent gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

I don't think you're sick. I reckon there's a few of us on here who would also like to watch it:).

That is very interesting.....You can learn something new every day! :rolleyes:

Now can someone please tell me what the round black 'thing' is that is sometimes put on the mast with the P & O flag when anchored at an island? :confused:

Curiosity killed the cat (but, as my mother used to say - Satisfaction brought it back :D )

Archived