Tours at the Docks

BULLOCK

We have been on 20+ tours in the Caribbean and have always found lots of Tour Operators on the docks or in the terminals when we exit the ships. We have a cruise booked for 2010 and have already began our research of the various ports. My question is, if we decide to do a walking tour of a port and find that we still have time left over, will we find Tour operators at the docks when we exit the ship. We will be in

Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm.

Thanks in advance.

We have been on 20+ tours in the Caribbean and have always found lots of Tour Operators on the docks or in the terminals when we exit the ships. We will be in Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm.

From last summer in Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm, I don't remember seeing such options being positioned there and available. Maybe it depends on which ships are docked as to how the "hawkers" are there to seek and get business. My suggestion would be to plan and be prepared AHEAD on what you want to see, do and how to get there via a ship tour or your independent plans. The Baltics are different than the Caribbean! All of these cities have many nice and very interesting options. Both Copenhagen and Stockholm are fairly large with so many great and historic things to see and do. I would not leave it to "hope and chance" that they will be there to offer you what works best for your interests and needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From last summer in Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm, I don't remember seeing such options being positioned there and available. Maybe it depends on which ships are docked as to how the "hawkers" are there to seek and get business. My suggestion would be to plan and be prepared AHEAD on what you want to see, do and how to get there via a ship tour or your independent plans. The Baltics are different than the Caribbean! All of these cities have many nice and very interesting options. Both Copenhagen and Stockholm are fairly large with so many great and historic things to see and do. I would not leave it to "hope and chance" that they will be there to offer you what works best for your interests and needs.

I completely agree!

And to the original poster, do not expect prices like the Caribbean either. The Baltic countries are economically advantaged; you'll pay a lot for a taxi tour, for example.

Many Baltic ports are doable on your own with good public transportation and many English speakers to help you, should you need it. But do research and book a good private tour for St. Petersburg. You won't be sorry.

We did the Baltic cruise mid August this year,and there were NO people hanging around looking to give anyone a tour of their city. In some of the ports, you can't even find transportation right at the dock, no cabs, no buses no nothing. In Helsinki, you have to walk a few blocks to get to the public transportation.

In most of the Baltic ports, it's not like you get off the ship and there you are, in the middle of town with cabs and such all around. Most of the docks are sort of out of the way and you need to ride or walk to get to the main parts of town. There are NO taxis or tour operators around anywhere.

Thanks to everyone who have replied, we will be cruising with NCL at the end of May and have picked up some great tips off these boards.

Heinbloed, I have read your instructions on how to rent a car in Warnemude on some other threads. I think that is what we will take when we visit this port.

Are there car rentals close to the ports of Copenhagen and Stockholm? (Nynashamn ) St. Petersburg we will be doing a private tour.

Cheers

Are there car rentals close to the ports of Copenhagen and Stockholm? (Nynashamn ) St. Petersburg we will be doing a private tour.

We booked our car with HERTZ in Copenhagen Downtown.

They delivered our car to the Freeport Pier without extra charges.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Are there car rentals close to the ports of Copenhagen and Stockholm? (Nynashamn ) St. Petersburg we will be doing a private tour. Cheers

If you haven't already seen and experienced the great and highly enjoyable sights and sites within both Copenhagen and Stockholm, I'm not sure you would need a rental car in either city. Both are very "urban" with limited parking and other traffic/congestion challenges. If going to nearby suburban and country sites, that's a different situation and need.

Archived