GEM review Oct 11--18

rrobynec

My Review Link

Just a warning this is a long review, written with love.

I'm not sure what happened to my punctuation though!:rolleyes:

WOW, that was a long review! I felt like I was on a tour!:) Sound like you and your DD had a great time! Sometimes the best plans are the last minute ones! That is too bad about the gentlemen who passed away. Imagine the poorr family having to get off in strange place with a deceased family member. What a shame.:(

Too bad your DD woudln't take your pic with Brad Pitt. That would have been a keeper!

Thanks for the great review!

That was delightful, thanks for sharing. :) I was surprised at how easily you took public transit....that would have scared me silly!:eek:

Thanks everyone!

Honestly, I could not have done it without all of the great advice I had gotten on CC--especially the the advice that directed me to Europeportreviews.com.

We still made some goof ups--like:

-missing the bus in Sorrento and not checking the ferry schedule there in advance, :(

-thinking the metro went all the way to the airport in Barcelona, when we had to transfer to the train, but we left ourselves plenty of time, so we weren't in a panic!:eek:

Luckily, I can just roll with the punches, and know that there was a reason things turned out the way they did!:cool:

Great review, thanks for posting...I will be on the Gem next month. One dumb question...what does DD stand for?

Thanks again for the review!

You're welcome, you are going to have a wonderful time!

DD=Darling (or Dear) Daughter. DS=darling son, DW=Darling Wife, DH=Darling husband, and so on.

It's an abbreviation commonly used here on CC.

Happy Sailing!:D

Gee Roby - love the GEM or what??? Isnt' she gorgeous?

I'm going on RCL in January & am excited to find the GEM will be at some of the same ports we'll be at. I can take photos of her from another deck rather than standing next to her :p

Love thorough reviews like yours. Sounds like you had a great time and some good bonding time, too.;)

Just curious looking through your ratings why you gave such a poor rating to the teen club? Seems like your daughter attended several activities. Did she not like it?

I've enjoyed 2 cruises on the Gem and getting ready for the TA next month so your review came at a perfect time.

Any standout DR staff or wait staff I should look for?

Love thorough reviews like yours. Sounds like you had a great time and some good bonding time' date=' too.;)

Just curious looking through your ratings why you gave such a poor rating to the teen club? Seems like your daughter attended several activities. Did she not like it?

I've enjoyed 2 cruises on the Gem and getting ready for the TA next month so your review came at a perfect time.

Any standout DR staff or wait staff I should look for?[/quote']

Oh--Gee--That was a TOTAL mistake!!!!:o

No--She LOVED it!!!! I thought I gave it a FIVE!!!!!

There was one gentleman, who I wanted to give a STYLE card for, but didn't get his name. He is an older gentleman who has a caribbean accent. He has been working on the GEM since my July 2008 cruise.

He is often at the santizer station. When he would sanitize your hands--he would say "HAPPY HAPPY WASHIE WASHIE SMILEY SMILEY" I have had him as a waiter in the GRand Pacific when I was on my CTN last January. He is wonderful and his good mood is contagious.

By the end of the week everyone was saying that.

Also, Tresita is wonderful--She was my wait staff at the GRand Pacific for lunch on embarkation, and I saw her in Magenta and the buffet as well.

Gotham is at Blue lagoon late night. He will take good care of you, and speed your order along!

If you like Martinis--Lindsay at Shaker's is wonderful!:D

Also, I have a little thing for George of the entertainment staff--he has the sexiest tattoo ever (saw it during Fountains on the DAWN). Alas, I only saw him at the sailaway party, and he wouldn't show it to me:cool:.

He must have been a part of the BINGO staff--since I never made it to BINGO.

Also, Duncan, Assistant Cruise Director has some great tricks up his sleeve!

If for some reason you are in mini suite 11522, check the guest services black spiral binder. My DD didn't use the 50% spa coupon, so I buried it in there, hoping somebody else could use it!

Have fun on your transatlantic! You are in good hands on the BEAUTIFUL GEM!!!

I will be welcoming her back to NYC with open arms!

Love the story of the washy washy guy. Just shows how he made a pretty tedious job fun. I wonder how many S.T.Y.L.E cards he's gotten!:D

Who is the CD and do you know how long he/she will be on?

Is George the handsome Romanian guy? He did afternoon trivia last yr on the Gem and made it enjoyable.

Tks for the tips.

BTW, if you send Laura S at CC an email, they will correct your review if you'd like. Dolphins just posted one on our Dawn cruise and made an error (typo) that they were able to correct. Though very small, it was important to the review. They took care of it right away.;)

No cabin assignment yet - who knows??!!:) But bet someone quickly used that coupon.;)

Love the story of the washy washy guy. Just shows how he made a pretty tedious job fun. I wonder how many S.T.Y.L.E cards he's gotten!:D
I don't know. Nobody on my cruise had ever heard of them. I kept saying--whenever somebody complimented staff on a great job--make sure you fill out a STYLE card for them--they all looked at me blank' date=' and even after I explained what they were--the blank looked seemed to remain.

Who is the CD and do you know how long he/she will be on?
CD was Brett Mance (USA) no sure how long his commission is, but he was nice, but fairly behind the scenes. Of course he made the usual announcements, but he was not a BIG presence onboard. Of course with a port intensive cruise like this, he may not have been as visible as he would be on the transatlantic.

Is George the handsome Romanian guy? He did afternoon trivia last yr on the Gem and made it enjoyable.
George is tall' date=' dark and handsome. Not sure if he is Romanian--here's a pic from June when he did Fountains--oh yeah!

Tks for the tips.
BTW--I have one other tip, but I don't want to post it on CC--it is nothing bad, but it is not general knowledge, and it could ruin some people's fun at the surprise.

If you want to learn more, email me rrobynec@yahoo.com:D

BTW' date=' if you send Laura S at CC an email, they will correct your review if you'd like. Dolphins just posted one on our Dawn cruise and made an error (typo) that they were able to correct. Though very small, it was important to the review. They took care of it right away.;)[/quote'] I will do that. I do not want anyone to think poorly of the Teen Club. My DD loves it so much, it is the biggest reason I choose cruising NCL over another type of vacation! If DD is happy, I'm happy!:D

No cabin assignment yet - who knows??!!:) But bet someone quickly used that coupon.;)

318411584_nevergiveupfountains.jpg.54ad87615921a1facfd9f8b3dd415289.jpg

"Since I was dining solo, I cleaned up and headed to Salsa for dinner. I have to say, I was very happily surprised. I love Mexican food, but do not think of it as the most gourmet style of food. My meal was the BEST one I ended up having all week onboard(yes—it was better than LeBistro and Cagney’s)."

So curious as to what you ordered in each restaurant!!!!! Was it the food, the atmosphere, the service?????? We are trying to decide where we want to eat on our upcoming Gem cruise. Your review was great!

So curious as to what you ordered in each restaurant!!!!! Was it the food, the atmosphere, the service?????? We are trying to decide where we want to eat on our upcoming Gem cruise. Your review was great!

Thanks!

At Salsa, I had the seared Tuna appetizer--it was PERFECT!!!!

I love tuna, and this was cooked just right, seared and hot on the outside--crusted with spicy chili sesame crust, and tender and raw on the inside. The sauce on the side was the perfect compliment.

I then had the Tortilla soup. While this was very good, it had a heavy tomato base--along the line of tomato soup. I was expecting a lighter chicken broth based stock, with the accompaniments described on the menu (I believe cheddar cheese, avocado and tortilla strips).

For my main course I had the grilled salmon, swordfish and shrimp skewers in a zesty margarita style marinade. The fish was cooked to perfection--none of the fish was dried out, or undercooked. The marinade used was just the right enhancement to the natural flavors of the fish.

For dessert I had the Margarita tartlet--the custard was delicious, but I could not eat all of the pastry crust--it was good, but I was just too full.

BTW--my only disappointment at Salsa's was they no longer served a complimentary margarita (can you guess that I love margarita's!?!).

So I was forced ;);)to enjoythe red sangria with my dinner.

I have attached photos of each course (except the soup)--too bad I forgot to take the pics before I started eating!:o

I decided to not give a full description of my meals, since my review was so long already:eek:, but would be happy to if anyone is interested!:D

IMG_7277.jpg.f56ad31bcb20ff9c168e10ff192c5e81.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg.2940f75cb7863ed925fedbf219097e40.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg.6bec57c604e7570412386e02de798dd5.jpg

lol' date='Robyn...yes, that's George though I've only seen him with clothes on.;):D[/quote'] That is truly a shame. :) I have never really had a thing for tattoos--I can take them or leave them. Honestly, I have never seen a sexier tattoo--any where on anyone! His curves along his abdomen and says "never give up".

Any idea how long Brett is on as CD?

No--I almost always ended up arriving at the shows just as they were starting, so I missed most of Brett's banter. I do know that a great deal of the entertainers on the entertainment staff were leaving the day I disembarked. Kwame Remy (beautiful voice and talented dancer) had made a point of this when he was doing his show--that it was going to be his last solo show on the GEM for now and how many of his costars were leaving for vacation also. After his vacation he was not sure where he would be going. So maybe the same is true for others on the entertainment staff.:confused:

Robyn,

Totally agree that the ahi tuna appetizer in the Mex. is perfect! Looks like you kinda chewed at it so the pic doesn't do it justice. No worries, you just wanted to dig in.;):D

Also agree that the tortilla soup is rich & "heavy" (though delicious).

We've enjoyed the sizzling steak fajitas, the Il Popo (meat hanging from an iron hanger) with accompaniments and I did try the lobster taco.

Wonder why they stopped the mini margarita?

I, for one, would be interested in your description of any other memorable (or not so) meals you had!:) (and pictures!!)

Robyn' date='

Totally agree that the ahi tuna appetizer in the Mex. is perfect! Looks like you kinda chewed at it so the pic doesn't do it justice. No worries, you just wanted to dig in.;):D[/quote'] I kept forgetting that I wanted to take pics for my dinners, and would remember after the first couple of bites--I would try to fix it back to the original presentation, but I failed:o

I' date=' for one, would be interested in your description of any other memorable (or not so) meals you had!:) (and pictures!!)[/quote']

OK--for now I will do Cagney's since my DD has all the rest of the pics on her camera (which is somewhere):confused:

Cagney's was my final dinner onboard. This was my first time to Cagney's, so I was quite excited.

Since Cagney's is a steak house, I knew that I was possible I might not try their specialties, since my preference (in case you could not tell already) is fish. Since I had a late reservation, I decided I would try visualizing a nice juicy steak, so I could really enjoy all Cagney's had to offer.

When I got there though, my true desires came out, and I ordered fish all the way.

I started out with the seared scallops, which were delicious. Instead of a salad I had one of my favorites Oysters Rockefeller (it does have spinach after all!). While they were good, just not the best I have ever had.

I had the Lobster Bisque soup--also one of my favorites. Also very good--but I felt it lacked the proper amount of sherry that I look for in a Bisque.

For my entree I choose the Salmon Oscar. I was DELIGHTED when it came out with an entire king crab leg for the crabmeat portion of the entree!

As soon as I tasted the crab, I was sorry I had not order King Crab legs for my entree. If you like King Crab legs--bite the bullet and pay for the upcharge--the one leg I had was delicious, perfectly cooked.

The accompanying asparagus were also delicious. The salmon however was VERY salty. When my server saw me just kind of playing around with my salmon, she asked if everything was alright. I did admit that the salmon was too salty--and she immediately wanted to bring another. I accepted the offer, but asked for only a small piece. The second piece brought out was grilled and seasoned nicely. I did think the salmon in Magenta was better though (although the portion was smaller in Magenta, and it was sauteed not grilled).

For dessert I was craving something chocolate, and the only item on the menu that fit the bill was the brownie sundae. Ice cream upsets my tummy, so I ordered it without the ice cream It was good--but I can see how much better it would have been with the ice cream!

All in all, it was a good dinner, but I did not feel it lived up to it's hype. If I ever decide to go back--it will be on a night that I really feel like eating beef!:D

1871333895_Cagneyssearedscallops.jpg.8e44a251fa341b5308c4347653dbe567.jpg

1057151491_CagneysOystersRockefellar.jpg.2f14566ecd1511ec5591d14ab9437c3b.jpg

155451513_Cagnyeslobsterbisque.jpg.f6fc2c5f4bc0f40414400b06146350e4.jpg

2079543383_CagneysSalmonOscar.jpg.13be803445dff4baef02f0e31f18116e.jpg

1396782071_CagneysBrownieSundaesansicecream.jpg.29951965f17f9d2f27d2d7e0939ed8ad.jpg

Robyn,

We were on the Dawn this month and 10 of us celebrated one friend's birthday in Cagney's. So there was a lot of different foods ordered.

But I was the one that went with the Alaskan King Crab legs. OMG, I think there were 8 halves, really meaty and delicious. I was disappointed that they had stopped offering whole Maine lobster there but this was really really good.:D

Everyone seemed happy with their meals - prime rib, ribeye in particular. I also love the lamb chops there. Add some Cagney's fries and that asparagus.:)

The warm espresso nut brownies are better with the ice cream but I've ordered them without, like you.

You know, we just might enjoy a meal together.:)

BTW, DH loved the miso-glazed tilapia in the main DR (on the fixed menu side).

Robyn' date='

We were on the Dawn this month and 10 of us celebrated one friend's birthday in Cagney's. So there was a lot of different foods ordered.

But I was the one that went with the Alaskan King Crab legs. OMG, I think there were 8 halves, really meaty and delicious. I was disappointed that they had stopped offering whole Maine lobster there but this was really really good.:D[/quote'] If I ever end up in Cagney's and suddenly decide not to go with the beef--I will absolutely positively order the crab legs!

You know' date=' we just might enjoy a meal together.:)[/quote'] I would love that! Did I hear you say CTN???? ;) Also, I am in the city all the time, and am always looking for new places to try!

BTW' date=' DH loved the miso-glazed tilapia in the main DR (on the fixed menu side).[/quote'] Didn't see this on the menu, I don't think. I did have tilapia at the Grand Pacific for my embarkation lunch, but it wasn't with a miso glaze preparation.

I have never sailed on the Gem can anyone tell me what restaurants are included with your cruise fare & which restaurants have the fee's & what are the fee's? We have previously sailed on the Dawn. Thank you.

Free:

Grand Pacific (MDR)

Magenta

Blue Lagoon

Garden Cafe (main buffet)

Great Outdoors (buffet)

The Pool Grill (buffet)

Bali Hai Bar

Room Service

Fee:

Orchid Garden and Sushi Bar $10/$15

Teppanyaki $25

Cagney's $25

LaCucina (not sure if $10 or $15)

Tequila $10

Le Bistro $20

Java Cafe (I think items are priced individually)

When you say your stayed in bed late the last morning, what time was that? We will be in no rush at all to get off the ship on our Nov 22nd cruise as we are staying 2 extra days in Barcelona. Usually you feel compelled to get out of the cabin by say 7:30 am at the latest because the cabin stewards are all around and anxious to start cleaning the rooms for the next group of guests. Did you find this different on this cruise and please explain the luggage procedure if you choose the late departure. Thanks!

Archived