Tips charged to my room vs prepaid?

PrincessCarolyn

OK I just called Celeb and they said if I wanted I could prepay tips. I chose not too since I am going on my cruise w/ a very nice on board credit and figured I can just pay at the end of my cruise (w my obc or credit card) The agent also said the staff does NOT know if someone prepaid or is charging tips while on the ship (although not sure if I believe that-they probably have staff member/friends who check LOL)

Anyway I'm doing the "charge my tips at the end" so is there a big difference at all? Service etc? if i do this as opposed to prepaying? The staff wouldn't treat a prepayer better or would they? And yes for exceptional service, I'd definitely give extra $ privately to that person :)

Just wanted to hear all of your thoughts on the situation.

Thank you :)

I prepaid my tips for the first time. I did it firstly because the exchange rate of the £ against the $ was more benificial for me.

I asked the Guest Relations regarding this. I was told that the crew involved in receiving these tips know if you have pre paid. As to whether this makes any difference in how you are looked after.

I can't say but I was very well looked after by my Cabin Steward. On previous cruises it may have been a Pantry Maid who brought my breakfast etc. On this cruise Solstice I have just come off 9th - 19th October my CS brought my breakfast every day. Asked me to press the Cabin Attendant button if I wanted anything whatsoever.

He was excellent and whether this is because knowing that having been secure that he had already knew he would receive my tips he worked even harder knowing that I might well him further.

He was the best cabin Steward I have ever had and of course I did give him extra because he deserved it.

Wonderful wait staff who would have been wonderful regardless. Again any extra I gave to anyone was well deserved and on this particular cruise the Crew were happy smiling and attentive from the bottom to the top.

Well done X

Sue

I believe that under their auto tipping procedure, your account is debited daily for the daily tips. This is apparently different from the prepay system.

Yes, very different, prepaid are done before you get to the ship and can't be changed or altered in any way. Tips on your bill can be eliminated or changed with some restrictions. They cannot be eliminated if you do Select Dining....

Anyway I'm doing the "charge my tips at the end" so is there a big difference at all? Service etc? if i do this as opposed to prepaying? The staff wouldn't treat a prepayer better or would they? And yes for exceptional service, I'd definitely give extra $ privately to that person :)

Thank you :)

You will feel NO difference in service whether you prepay or pay at the end from your shipboard account. Rest easy!:)

I like your concern that not pre-paying the gratuity could result in poorer serve. There is a thread with over 45 posts on pre-paying gratuities and many of them are concerned that if they pre-pay then they'd get just the opposite - poorer servce.

I agree that there won't be any difference in service, but I like your starting point. I get so tired of those that think everyone is out to rip them off, or if they know they have already been tipped, then they will stiff the customer. Personally, I think it says more about the person with that world-view then it does of the supposed lax waitstaff.

Denny

Archived