Shopping in Jamaica

PittsburghGirlee

I was in Jamaica 15 years ago and did most of my shopping on an excursion that was offered by the cruise ship. It is my favorite place to shop.:D

I am wondering what are the best places to shop there?

Can you do it on your own or is an excursion recommended?

I tried to use the search engine for shopping and not too much came up.;)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

We will be there in May.

• 2 weeks later...
Montego bay or Ocho Rios

In Ocho Rios there are many shops just a short walk from the pier

- Island Village

Thats where I'll be in February. Any suggestions on what shops to go to? Not sure what I am looking for but will know it when I see it. :D

There's the usual tourist type shops near the port area.

But, my favorite local place is a short walk past the Pork Pit restaurant..venture off to the left and you'll see a lovely little craft mall staffed by all locals. Do them a favor, though, and don't be cheap and haggle their prices as they are already reasonable. We have a friend who has a shop in that place and the day the ship comes in is often the only time they make any sort of income for their family that week.

Any recomendations for Montego Bay?

There's the usual tourist type shops near the port area.

But, my favorite local place is a short walk past the Pork Pit restaurant..venture off to the left and you'll see a lovely little craft mall staffed by all locals. Do them a favor, though, and don't be cheap and haggle their prices as they are already reasonable. We have a friend who has a shop in that place and the day the ship comes in is often the only time they make any sort of income for their family that week.

We shopped there when we stayed in MoBay. I don't think there were any ships in, as there were few people there. So we found the prices to be very reasonable and the people very friendly. In fact, when we bought something for a even a few dollars they would thank us profusely and say God bless you.

However, as we noticed the market (we walked there from the Hip Strip area) and were crossing the street, a man came up and asked if we were looking for the market. We said "yes, we see it there, thanks" but he kept hanging around, following us as we shopped. We thought it kinda odd. When we left he wanted a tip for "leading" us to and through the market... uhh... no, sorry. he really did nothing for us. Just wanted money. So just be forewarned about this sorta thing.

Also, every vendor wants you to come into their shop, so it's hard to pass by one without them saying "you visited her shop, now come into mine" Finally we were done shopping and weren't even through yet. We had bought a little something in most shops we passed through,we had to say we were out of money in order to "escape" lol. So be prepared for that too... and bring small bills, as they don't often have much change.

There was another market close to the Hip Strip as well. we preferred to shop at places run by true locals (as opposed to people who move their from other countries and run a store... with usually higher prices)

You were probably right about the tip! Just above that craft market is a lovely restaurant owned by a man and his wife....all home cooked Jamaican food and you have a nice view.

If you notice near the major shopping, the majority of the touristy shops are owned and operated by Indians..they tend to be worse, I think, at trying to get you in their shops than the Jamaicans. Sometimes I feel like I'm shopping at the local radio shack in my community as that's owned by Indians and they haggle even worse.

I'm not surprised about the Jamaicans being so grateful..remeber the crazy exchange rate..one may not feel 10.00 is a bargain and feel the need to haggle for less, but trust me, that 10.00 might be what feeds their whole family that week.

We shopped there when we stayed in MoBay. I don't think there were any ships in, as there were few people there. So we found the prices to be very reasonable and the people very friendly. In fact, when we bought something for a even a few dollars they would thank us profusely and say God bless you.

However, as we noticed the market (we walked there from the Hip Strip area) and were crossing the street, a man came up and asked if we were looking for the market. We said "yes, we see it there, thanks" but he kept hanging around, following us as we shopped. We thought it kinda odd. When we left he wanted a tip for "leading" us to and through the market... uhh... no, sorry. he really did nothing for us. Just wanted money. So just be forewarned about this sorta thing.

Also, every vendor wants you to come into their shop, so it's hard to pass by one without them saying "you visited her shop, now come into mine" Finally we were done shopping and weren't even through yet. We had bought a little something in most shops we passed through,we had to say we were out of money in order to "escape" lol. So be prepared for that too... and bring small bills, as they don't often have much change.

There was another market close to the Hip Strip as well. we preferred to shop at places run by true locals (as opposed to people who move their from other countries and run a store... with usually higher prices)

Thats where I'll be in February. Any suggestions on what shops to go to? Not sure what I am looking for but will know it when I see it. :D

The area within walking distance of the pier is lined with shops and an occasional offer here and there. There is the Taj Mahal shopping center close to Island Village. Turning left and a short walk, there is a supermarket for coffee. You have an internet cafe, beside the Burger King.

Archived