Four-Wheel Luggage

Leo Jay

I'd heard there's a new style of rolling luggage that's available now, with four wheels -- you pull it alongside you, instead of dragging it behind you like the other type of rolling luggage that's been popular -- anyone familiar with it, and able to offer any general assessments or recommendations where to get it?

I work part time selling luggage and have to say...almost every manufacturer is making 4 wheeled luggage now in a variety of fabrics and weight.

The top 3, for me it would be Rimowa, Tumi and Victorinox. Those brands have the better quality material, wheels, zippers and warranties. These are all a polycarbonate or poly blend material, or layered materials. Ballistic or other nylons tend to be a whole lot heavier than the polys, so do ask to have each bag weighed and pick them up.

There are a whole lot of cheaper brands and you do get what you pay for. People come in looking for Samsonite but can be amazed at the difference in quality once they compare to a better quality line. We also sell other lines, Heys, Landor and Howa, Antler, etc... and even though I show them, it is without commitment as I know the material will easily scratch, crack and the wheels don't look like they will wear well. We had one piece of Heys scratch just from cleaning a scuff mark off of it. I'd love it if everyone could walk out with the best quality, but not everyone has a Tumi budget so I am glad we carry less expensive brands.

So, do go in person to see what is out there and what is available in your price point. And do go to a reputable luggage store, you will find luggage in department and big box stores, but the employees haven't been trained well. Don't be put off thinking the price is higher in a specialty store, many times our prices are lower, we have better service for repair needs and you can buy knowing your piece better than just buying off the floor. Recommendations are fine from friends or strangers, but you really need to see and feel a piece of luggage before purchase.

I have to add, the similarity in luggage brands ends at their shape and color. Almost all are rectangular, most are black.

I'd heard there's a new style of rolling luggage that's available now, with four wheels -- you pull it alongside you, instead of dragging it behind you like the other type of rolling luggage that's been popular -- anyone familiar with it, and able to offer any general assessments or recommendations where to get it?

This type uggage is not new, I've had spinners for a few years now. Originally, I used the Atlantic brand because I love the product. There's a place for everything in the bags, a removable hanging cosmetics and shoe bags, they're very sturdy. Also, a built in vinyl hamper for wet clothes. The only downside to this is the luggage has a little weight to it, which makes it less desirable to use when flying. For flying I use the lighter weight TravelPro brand.

There are plenty of brands out there with spinners.

My comments about luggage (and I have owned a lot) is to seriously ask yourself "What do I want in a bag?" Personally, I don't need all of those little cute pockets, and wet packs and built in toiletry kits. But for some, that's what makes a bag.

Four wheels means you push/pull like a shopping cart or freight dolly. Two wheels means you are lifting with the handle like a wheelbarrow. Two wheels may be more maneuverable, four less tiring. Four wheels will extend the size of your bag, while two can be tucked in the corners.

Determine the quality level you want, the features (or lack of) that you need, materials, workmanship and the like. Don't just buy cheap, and don't just buy expensive. Do your personal assessment, then go forward.

Myself....I have 4 or 5 roller carryons, depending on my trip/needs. Multiple suitcases and duffles - again depending on the need. Most won't need my variety, but all were obtained by comparing my needs versus what was out there. Do the same and ask yourself the probing questions. It will be worth the exercise.

I have used my Samsonite "spinner" carry on for years now and I would not use anything else. My bag has taken a ton of abuse, I use it constantly and have never had any problem whatsoever with quality. I am a female with not a ton of upper body strength -- this bag basically moves itself. I can run through airports easily pushing it ahead of me, or alongside me - whatever. I swear by it! The only downside (if you want to call it that) - is you need to keep an eye on it when it is on a smooth or elevated surface as it can roll away.....:eek:

As FlyerTalker wrote (my summary): Get a bag or bags that do what you need them to do. Four-wheelers would not be a good idea if you need to schlep them across cobblestones or any other uneven (or soft) surfaces, for example.

As FlyerTalker wrote (my summary): Get a bag or bags that do what you need them to do. Four-wheelers would not be a good idea if you need to schlep them across cobblestones or any other uneven (or soft) surfaces, for example.

I dunno about that. Rimowa has large caster wheels that would probably go over most surfaces. I would think a 2 wheeled bag would give you just as much grief on cobblestones.

I do agree that with so much to select from, a person needs to buy what works best for them.

Thanks for the feedack based on real-world experience -- that's insight I wouldn't get from just looking bags over in a store...

When my friend mentioned it to me, I thought it was a new thing, but now I realize I have seen that style over the years -- just never gave it much thought and didn't realize it made for easier transport. I'll check a couple of stores tomorrow and see what's what. Thanks again.

Archived